Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring plate bolt size?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveHrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Spring plate bolt size? Reply with quote

Long story short, when my dad and I pulled the transmission out of my 1960 T1 back in 1987 we didn’t keep track of all the nuts & bolts (literally) that were pulled off. Started a body-off resto and the transmission is now rebuilt and ready to go back on. But…

The nuts for the front transmission mount (to the studs coming off the chassis) – are those 17mm?

Also, does anyone know the size of the bolts (3 per side) that mount the axle/shock mount arm to the spring plate?

Thx!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring plate bolt size? Reply with quote

SteveHrk wrote:

The nuts for the front transmission mount (to the studs coming off the chassis) – are those 17mm?

M10

Also, does anyone know the size of the bolts (3 per side) that mount the axle/shock mount arm to the spring plate?

M12

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the size of the bolts (3 per side) that mount the axle/shock mount arm to the spring plate

They are indeed 12mm, like Bruce said, BUT they are hard, 10G and of a 'fine' thread. 1.75 I think. Good luck finding them some where. What I did to fix this, as I thought 'hard' was important, was use a dremel grinder and the chuck end of a 1/2" drill bit as a guage to open up the slots by .012 inch. This let me use 1/2"-20NF Grade 8 bolts. Easier to find.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Spring plate bolt size? Reply with quote

SteveHrk wrote:

Thx!

10MM but have a 15MM wrench size instead of 17MM. i use nuts from a single port engine (case studs) that hold the heads to the case. otherwise you can't get a wrench in to tighten them.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
SteveHrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks everybody! It sucks to hear they're hard to find. I'm still Brick wall over not having just put all that damn stuff in a bag or something. Embarassed
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring plate bolt size? Reply with quote

The spring plate bolt size is M12X1.5, not sure of the length. If you have a vernier caliper you can measure the thickness of the plate and the arm it is bolted to and add about 2 to 3 mm. Or simply measure the length before disassembling. That is the thickness that corresponds to the length of the bolt under the head that you will need plus the thickness of washers, Also check the heads of the original bolts to see what the strength character or number is; usually 8.8 or 10.9. The 8.8 figure is equivalent to an SAE grade 5 and the 10.9 is equivalent to an SAE grade 8. The 10.9 is actually stronger but I would simply use what VW originally used. The torque setting is 80 ft.-lb.

The spring plate rubber bushing cover uses smaller bolts and they thread into the forged arm that is attached to the body and torsion bar tube. The bolts here are M10X1.5 X 35mm (@1.375 inches). Longer bolts for compressing the new bushings should be about 3/4 inch longer or about 2.125 inch or 53 to 55mm.

Torque setting is 25 ft-lb for the cover plate bolts. If you are replacing the old bolts for whatever reason, recessed Allen bolts with the appropriate flat washer may be the way to go due to clearance issues when tightening the new M10 hex head bolts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: