Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

What do you think will it be hard to find correct rims and drums for the car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdfkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Hi there - no the rims we have already and we are now on the correct drums - they used a lot of parts from Mercedes and Bosch stock stuff -
Christian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Hey Christian,

eine schöne Adventszeit Euch and stay healthy! Good luck for this and your other projects!

Nico
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

kdfkid wrote:
Hi there - no the rims we have already and we are now on the correct drums - they used a lot of parts from Mercedes and Bosch stock stuff -
Christian

That's the beauty of this project. When Daimler Benz built these cars they used a lot of readily available parts either from their own parts bin or from manufacturers that had suitable parts already in stock. This makes sense as the focus was on perfecting the running gear that was designed and made especially for the cars. Things like electrical stuff such as lights, semaphores, switches and hardware such as gauges, handles, locks, hinges, and so on, were not so important for grueling tests under super tight deadlines.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Undis wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Incredible build. This picture has me wondering what the plan is for the rear quarter windows. Is there enough metal left to press in the window frames, or are they going to weld them in? Those windows look like the right size - I would have expected the opening to be a little smaller, but get to the correct size after applying the press.

Edit: Nevermind. I see the opening drawn on the metal - probably where the press is going to be applied.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

if you look at the previous page, you can se they've started work on the rear quarter window returns...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Oh wow. Don't know how I missed that. Love all the history along with the documentation of construction. AWesome. Thank you for pointing out the sill construction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

New updates, first in 2021. The guys are making the inner fenders and the rear luggage area. Later the metal in the luggage area will need some strengthening ribs pressed in. Also note that the deck-lid opening has already been framed in.

D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Undis , do they have many internal pics with details of the pressings and stuff?
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
Undis , do they have many internal pics with details of the pressings and stuff?

Dion, they do. The cutaway car 13 is a perfect resource for figuring out how it looked on the inside.

D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

That’s epic!
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Just a quick photo update on progress. Not much to say besides enjoy the view.

cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Really enjoying these pictures, thanks for posting. Makes you wonder how long the originals took to build from scratch?

56' Oval
71' Westy
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Great work!!!!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Be interesting to see how they recreate the gutter rails
fossil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Hi!

Watching this thread with even more awe than that about 38/06 I want to throw in some thoughts about the table in the Kornwestheim Barracks (page 1 of the thread). The table is titled "Wander - Preis". This means (according to online interpreters) challenge trophy. This sort of trophy is given to someone who wins in a recurrent challenge, he then has to give it to the next winner. In this case I interprete it in a way that the daily winner here is the driver who either is the fastest or has driven the longest route. I presume the fastest is the correct solution here as the routes were firmly established. So it is natural that cars are missing on the list.

And a question: What engine will be fitted in the car?
Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

I know I ask it a lot, but do you know if the owners decided on a colour?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

cyberdyne systems 101 wrote:
Really enjoying these pictures, thanks for posting. Makes you wonder how long the originals took to build from scratch?

According to Chris Barber the Daimler Benz factory proposed to build the very first body in just eight weeks followed by the other 29 being built at a rate of three bodies per week. That is remarkable! The last body delivered from the DB factory was on May 15, 1937.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

fossil wrote:
Hi!

Watching this thread with even more awe than that about 38/06 I want to throw in some thoughts about the table in the Kornwestheim Barracks (page 1 of the thread). The table is titled "Wander - Preis". This means (according to online interpreters) challenge trophy. This sort of trophy is given to someone who wins in a recurrent challenge, he then has to give it to the next winner. In this case I interpret it in a way that the daily winner here is the driver who either is the fastest or has driven the longest route. I presume the fastest is the correct solution here as the routes were firmly established. So it is natural that cars are missing on the list.

And a question: What engine will be fitted in the car?

Interesting point. We see that on certain days only one car is listed and other days there are more. So it could be some sort of an achievement board. Still, that table on the wall most likely represents the cars that were being tested on road at the given time - May to July. Some are missing, highly likely performing other duties. For example in July car 26 was at Berlin Technical University wind tunnel being tested for aerodynamics.

As for the engine, I'm sure the team will use the oldest engine they can find however they will most likely have to settle for an early KdF type.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Jack O'Neill wrote:
I know I ask it a lot, but do you know if the owners decided on a colour?

The colour choice is still a secret. I'm sure it will not be bright blue, though Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 29

Jump to: