Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
Jack O'Neill wrote:
I know I ask it a lot, but do you know if the owners decided on a colour?

The colour choice is still a secret. I'm sure it will not be bright blue, though Wink

Please tell me it will be a nitro cellulose paint....
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

D-train wrote:

I'm sure the paint will be of the type used by Daimler Benz at the time. Also we have to keep in mind the differences between the VW38 cars and the W30. The VW38s were built as driving promotional samples to the sell the new Volkswagen to the public and as gifts to high ranking officials, so the finishes were very nice with gleaming black paint and stylish upholstery. The W30s were purely for tests and experiments and in fact some effort was put into shielding them from the public eye. The paint finish would have been basic, probably at the lower end of material quality.
fossil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
D-train wrote:

I'm sure the paint will be of the type used by Daimler Benz at the time. Also we have to keep in mind the differences between the VW38 cars and the W30. The VW38s were built as driving promotional samples to the sell the new Volkswagen to the public and as gifts to high ranking officials, so the finishes were very nice with gleaming black paint and stylish upholstery. The W30s were purely for tests and experiments and in fact some effort was put into shielding them from the public eye. The paint finish would have been basic, probably at the lower end of material quality.

Yes, but some of them were privately driven by Porsche employees after the official tests and obviously repainted. Some even bi-coloured. I think these cars had a paintjob that was quite nice.
Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Drives me crazy the fact that no one involved remembered the colours used on the cars (or, at least, no one could match any colour to any particular car). This knowledge is lost forever.
Who built Stonehedge? What's the deal with the Voynigh manuscript? Who can decypher Linear A? What colour was car #26? AAHHHHH! Brick wall

Seriously, though, I'm glad to know that it will not be bright blue Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Jack O'Neill wrote:
Drives me crazy the fact that no one involved remembered the colours used on the cars (or, at least, no one could match any colour to any particular car). This knowledge is lost forever.
Who built Stonehedge? What's the deal with the Voynigh manuscript? Who can decypher Linear A? What colour was car #26? AAHHHHH! Brick wall

never heard of the Voynich manuscripts. thanks for that. I am with Henry Ford for the color, though. but hey, maybe there should be one of every likely color?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

and not to go too far off topic - see this link for latest on stonehenge origins
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000s5xm/stonehenge-the-lost-circle-revealed

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Can we please stay on topic? Thanks

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

fossil wrote:
Yes, but some of them were privately driven by Porsche employees after the official tests and obviously repainted. Some even bi-coloured. I think these cars had a paintjob that was quite nice.

That is absolutely true. Several of the cars were still driven in the early '40ies. A famous one is No. 15, dark coloured (repainted) one used by Herbert Kaes. Car No. 11 ended up as a two-tone...
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Jack O'Neill wrote:

That is something that's been driving me crazy too. Based on my research I have come to a theory that all of the very first 4 cars built in 1935 were not black, as often portrayed but still we don't know what colour they were. It seems all available literature omits this little detail.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Another couple of exciting updates to add to this thread. The right front inner wheel arch and surrounding metalwork getting done.

Check out the first photo. A pattern for the r/h door is in place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

The other news is that the very first bolt-on body part is getting dialed in. The front right fender is being shaped with some wire. This is just like witnessing a great classic painter labor over a masterpiece constantly checking, adjusting, tweaking until perfection is achieved.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Applause

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
The other news is that the very first bolt-on body part is getting dialed in. The front right fender is being shaped with some wire. This is just like witnessing a great classic painter labor over a masterpiece constantly checking, adjusting, tweaking until perfection is achieved.

quite likely the same method that would have been used by a coachbuilder back in the day for a one off part.

So big. so much shape. Perfect candidate for an aluminum part, for the GTi version Wink

Uli

D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

That’s fantastic!!!
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Another update on the reconstruction. The guys are now focusing on the front wheel arches and the surrounding metal work.
Note the correct pattern Continental tire that was used on most prototypes in 1936 and 1937.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

awesome, starting to look like a car!

Uli

cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Great pictures, really enjoying the progress on this.

Although many of the design features were taken over to the next prototype stage, you can really see how different the bodies were to the first production cars, the front quarter panel where the door really comes forward into that area being just one example.

Looking forward to the next set.

56' Oval
71' Westy
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

cyberdyne systems 101 wrote:

Although many of the design features were taken over to the next prototype stage, you can really see how different the bodies were to the first production cars, the front quarter panel where the door really comes forward into that area being just one example.

I wonder if the door design of the W30 was in some ways better giving much more clearance for the feet while entering and exiting the car. We all know that the bottoms of the A-pillars always get scuffed on regular beetles. On the W30 this area would be further forward.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

More updates on the "nose job".
The opening for the front lid is almost framed in. The spare wheel well is also taking shape. One detail still to be done is the central ridge.

Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Perfect, I see we are a step closer to our end goal!

But seriously, seeing this car come together like a giant origami is mesmerizing. Thanks for the updates and for the pictures.

Do you have any pictures on how they are shaping the metal in those wireframe fenders?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 29

Jump to: