Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Thanks finster, much better photo showing the roofline and window detail.

Here’s a better comparison between the two at the same scale and angle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 3
1968 Squareback
olo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Personally I like the slight ‘chop top’ rake, could the slight difference be due to buck that was used to build the Autostadt W30 replica (page 3 of this thread)?
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

This car has an entirely new buck made as the Autostadt car was dimensionally wrong as it was based around a production beetle.

I guess that should also prove this is the correct lines and shape for the W30. Which car is the anomaly that has the larger door glass? And are there any other photos of it against the correct ones as shown in the window line up shot?

Gareth

56' Oval
71' Westy
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

cyberdyne systems 101 wrote:
This car has an entirely new buck made as the Autostadt car was dimensionally wrong as it was based around a production beetle.

I guess that should also prove this is the correct lines and shape for the W30. Which car is the anomaly that has the larger door glass? And are there any other photos of it against the correct ones as shown in the window line up shot?

Gareth

I think that is a photo distortion, I do not think the cars differed that much. One must assume they used wooden bucks to make them, like the wooden 356/2 buck that still exists.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Looking at the pictures through this thread, the first body, body zero is the one that it at least appears to have the larger door, and was the only one assembled by Porsche. Could it be that this body was produced alone before the others that were built together in greater numbers, and therfore isn't quite the same as all the others.

56' Oval
71' Westy
low_and_slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

I’m dying to know how this project is going. Any updates; don’t care how small, just love to see the body progress! Thank you
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

on display this weekend at the volksworld show, UK
Photos - Bjoern Schewe

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

That looks insane!
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

I wished they (Volksworld) had advertised this, I would have tried to go along to see it. I'm sure this won't be the only time it comes over here though, still more stages to go to complete this body for this original chassis.

56' Oval
71' Westy
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

I'm just catching up on this wonderful thread. The workmanship and effort being put in is incredible.

Coming to the last pic I noticed some differences in the details that I wanted to ask about.

It seems like the radius of the corners of the window opening inset edges are sharper in the recreation than in the pic of one of the originals (of course there probably was variance in the originals). Also, while in the recreation, the border is flat and evenly sized around the window, in the original, it is noticeably thinner on top vs. the rear. The edges seem to be a bit bulged/rounded rather than flat (which may also make it seem narrower).

Also, the front bottom corner of the rear window has a much wider radius on the older pic (I've not marked this).
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

The original W30's almost look like some areas were made in a press, the doors as you've pointed out, they do seem more curvy and rounded and less flat than the new body, also the rear quarter windows, could they have made a tooling that they formed the panel over so it was like this originally?

I don't think we'll ever get the perfect replica body, it'll be close in a lot of ways, and get things pretty much right in a lot of areas, but it simply wasn't made over 80+ years ago with the same tools and people doing it.

56' Oval
71' Westy
fossil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

First of all: I don´t think the original cars were similar to each other in the way 1960ies beetles were. And then: This car is completely hand-built. Instead of nitpicking everybody should cherish the fantastic work these guys deliver. And the willingness to share this endeavour with us.
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

cyberdyne systems 101 wrote:
The original W30's almost look like some areas were made in a press, the doors as you've pointed out, they do seem more curvy and rounded and less flat than the new body, also the rear quarter windows, could they have made a tooling that they formed the panel over so it was like this originally?

I don't think we'll ever get the perfect replica body, it'll be close in a lot of ways, and get things pretty much right in a lot of areas, but it simply wasn't made over 80+ years ago with the same tools and people doing it.

I do agree with what you are saying however some of the best cars have been built on threads with nit pickers with a lot of knowledge like VW3806 for instance.

I love this build, they've done an amazing job! Really looking forward to seeing it in paint.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Sure, there are a lot of details that are a bit off to many of us. The thing to remember is that unless you have an original car to use as a guide, any recreation is going to be off. Building a body as complex as a W30 using only pictures and drawings is a huge challenge.

Perhaps they will change some of them based on our observations or maybe they are happy with it the way it is and feel it is close enough given the money they have spent.

Having seen one of the two recreations that VW had made, this thing is far and away much closer than those cars.

Just look at the challenge BBT has had making split front fenders. And they have plenty of examples to reference and there appear to still be some pretty serious issues based on user reports.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

fossil wrote:
First of all: I don´t think the original cars were similar to each other in the way 1960ies beetles were. And then: This car is completely hand-built. Instead of nitpicking everybody should cherish the fantastic work these guys deliver. And the willingness to share this endeavour with us.

Thumbs Up
Agree 100%, this build is phenomenal.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

fossil wrote:

DITTO!!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Prototypes, they vary from one to another, this is true, because they are prototypes. But one must give a little more credit to the coach builders back then without the benefits of modern technology. I bet you could take a door of one and it would fit another of the same prototype, not to interchange with prototypes Before or after that model.

Here we are talking about one particular prototype, and the replication of that prototype. The coach builder that did the work, they did a phenomenal job in recreating what was given to them. As one can see in the series of images below. The first image is obviously the original prototype to be replicated, the second is the replica, and the last is of the drawing that was provided, if not that particular drawing, one similar. The drawing and the final product match fairly close, just does not match the original prototype to be replicated. Somewhere in the beginning of the thread, there’s mention of the previous replica and its flaws, and how those flaw were going to be addressed, and they were. To continue that discussion in regards to the new replica is beneficial in achieving a more accurate representation. I realize a lot people don’t do metal work, so they find this jaw dropping. Me, I’m familiar with this level of quality, and know what it takes to get there, so it is not lost on me. If one is to invest the time, effort and capital into a project like this, it better be spot on.

Type 3
1968 Squareback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

The door handle recess is not correct in shape and the door handle is not pointing the same as the original one. Just a few small details.

But, I love this thread and know that it was an enormous effort to get this car to this level! I think it is awesome and hope to some day see it in person!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Some more photos from the WolksWorld show. I heard it made quite the impression there. Unfortunately, I was not there myself, so photos borrowed from Facebook.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 29

Jump to: