Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'70 wiper motor wiring question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

Hey Samba community:

Here's my issue-- in a word, the wires in the wiper harness do not match the colors they connect with to the wiper switch in a 4 way T connector. I just want to make sure this is correct before hooking up my battery.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In my wiring diagram, there should be two 31 brown lines, one in the harness and one separate that attaches to the 31 line from the other end of the 31br harness. What is the green wire supposed to be? In my diagram, there shouldn't be a green wire in the harness. 😅
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

Keep scratching. With that amount of overspray blue, it probably was painted green before.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/1970_VW_Type_1_Poster.jpg
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Keep scratching. With that amount of overspray blue, it probably was painted green before.

Seriously, have you scratched back the colour to make sure of the colour? Alternatively cut back the large shrink tube/cover a little and look at the colours there.

All my investigation of my Bentley and other manuals says that there shouldn't be a green cable there. You sure it just isn't previous overspray?
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

The green wire is the right-most bead of solder in the 2nd photo, and it runs through the sheath. I cut it to check. I think the brown is 31, and I think that green could be 31b, as the other three match (blk, blk/wt, blk/ylw). If I am wrong, this could be catastrophic, yeah? 😅
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

Relyt610 wrote:
The green wire is the right-most bead of solder in the 2nd photo, and it runs through the sheath. I cut it to check. I think the brown is 31, and I think that green could be 31b, as the other three match (blk, blk/wt, blk/ylw). If I am wrong, this could be catastrophic, yeah? 😅

It wont be castrophic as long as the ground (brown) is correct. The others are for the 2 speeds and the park position. So it wont park or the speeds will be wrong.
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

Use the link that andk5591 gave you and trace the wires back to see what they are attached to. The PO may have used any color they had at their disposal.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

It's the same diagram I have. I have the green wire that runs to the fuse from the wiper switch as shown, but I have 4 wires + only 1 brown coming from my wiper motor. The way this car was when I bought it, it had that 4 way T connector. The diagram doesn't show this... wondering if I need it at all?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

No - the wiper motor connects directly to the switch in the cars that I have worked on.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

here ya go, not much difference 3 years later

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

This diagram from Speedy Jim's page will help:

Note that the brown #31b wire (which you suspect is your green wire) is shorted to the black #53 wire when the motor is parked. And when not in the parked position, it is OPEN. When NOT parked the #53a purple/black wire is shorted to the #53 black wire.
You can test this by momentarily powering the #53 wire to get the wiper motor to move out of the parked position. Test that #31b is no longer connected to #53, and that #53a is connected to #53. Ground #31b and power #53a until the motor rotates back into the park position, then test that #31b is shorted to #53 and #53a is no longer connected to #53.

Study the above diagram carefully before you run your tests. All tests for continuity should be done with the motor completely disconnected.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

I think I figured out what the issue is. The previous owner(s) broke the tab off that had the spade connectors and then soldered these wires to it. They do not match up because they aren't for this motor! HAHA! The things I have found on this car... hahaha. So, I think I will send this off as a core for a new one.

VS mine

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

I would offer that it is more likely the wiper motor is an aftermarket one and the manufacture decided to use a cheaper soldered connection instead of the push on terminals in the top pic. This is not uncommon. As long as the connections are the same, the wire color is less important. This common with aftermarket turn signal switches that don't follow the stock wire colors at all.

FYI, in late model years, some of the #15 (black wire) circuits were replaced with green wires. This is why you will often see green wires next to black wires on the same fusees at the fuse box.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

Quote:
FYI, in late model years, some of the #15 (black wire) circuits were replaced with green wires. This is why you will often see green wires next to black wires on the same fusees at the fuse box.

I thought only Ford had that 'dumb' Idea

Then there is white is 'hot' and black is ground standard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

So what I will try before scrapping it is removing that T connector, and I'll plug those wires directly into the wiper switch and begin my wiring tests. My biggest anxiety is that my motor has the two beads on the far right. All the pictures I have seen of any motors, the solder is on the two center wires.

I found one with a green wire!
https://www.google.com/search?q=type+1+wiper+motor...MT-bNcussM

I know for certain that the two wires soldered to the motor are high/low, so this leads me to think that the black /white far left could be 58a, green (no fucking idea.) And brown is most likely 31b (as to ground the "park" feature)

I have PTSD from a 110v shock last year... is there any way to test these connections before I attach the battery in hopes of not melting wires? This is a whole new can of worms with no known color pattern to go off of. 😂

Thank you all for your prompt responses!

Last edited by Relyt610 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

Quote:
is there any way to test these connections before I attach the battery in hopes of not melting wires?

Use a battery charger. 10 amp model should work for this. Doesn't put out enough current to burn up wires but enough to run the motor.

Think of a battery charger as a power supply.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

Relyt610 wrote:
I know for certain that the two wires soldered to the motor are high/low, so this leads me to think that the black /white far left could be 58a, green (no fucking idea.) And brown is most likely 31b (as to ground the "park" feature)

... is there any way to test these connections before I attach the battery in hopes of not melting wires?

See Speedy Jim's diagram above. If you are certain which two wires are the Low/Hi speed wires then you are only questioning the two other wires. The brown ground wire that is directly connected to the body of the motor should be grounded to the chassis.

Take your ohm/continuity tester and check which of the two wires is shorted to the #53 (Low) wire. One should be connected.
Disconnect your meter and momentarily power the high or low wire to get the motor to rotate slightly. Disconnect power and check the two wires again. For MOST of the motor's rotation the #53a wire will be connected to the #53 wire. Only when the arms are in the parked position will the #31b wire be connected to #53.
Once you are fairly certain which wire is #53a, apply 12v to it. This should power the motor until it reaches the park position and then it will stop. Once it stops, confirm that #31a and #53 are now connected together.

Check Speedy Jim's site for a detailed write up on how the wiper motor works.
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

Ashman-- Thank you so much for your step by step instructions! I will give my college effort and let you know how it turns out. I found a diagram I wasn't able to upload the other night (due to poor internet) which stated on the two motor wires (not the bar) green is low and the red is high, so I deduced that the wires they are soldered to are the same on the bar.

Also! I found that post- '72 reproduction motors (which, mine appears to be since it doesn't have a VW serial on the underside) have a green wire, 53e.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/841879.jpg
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
is there any way to test these connections before I attach the battery in hopes of not melting wires?

Use a battery charger. 10 amp model should work for this.

I would assume 12 amp will be safe? My other options are 75 or 2, haha. Thanks!
Relyt610
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '70 wiper motor wiring question Reply with quote

I found this, it's a diagram for a post '72 beetle wiper motor. Ah ha! The switch was changed in late '71, thus the wiring also.

I found a link for a relay solution.

http://geofront.co.uk/BugPics/wiper.png
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: