Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Bug - To become Herbie the Love Trike
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
fallenone121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: 1969 Bug - To become Herbie the Love Trike Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I am fallenone121...and I am a disabled veteran who has for the longest time wanted a motorcycle however my military related injuries make it so I can even hope to pick up a normal bike now...it was for this reason I started considering a VW Bug based trike which id seen at carshows here in Michigan...

On 08/21 - I went to Ohio to pick up a rear end...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then I went to Indiana to pick up a rear seat and rear cover...

Then on 08/22 - I went to Flint MI and picked up Herbie's donor...

rustednuggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck man! The is the site with all the cool and juicy information!

Rustednuggs
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fallenone121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: I certainly hope so! Reply with quote

I certainly hope so! Smile

I know I will end up using this site to learn more about VW's and also see if anyone has any of the parts I need that make me all Shocked like the bar that supports the engine...
rustednuggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to a mustache bar?

Rustednuggs
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fallenone121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: I can only assume so... Reply with quote

Since mine didnt come with anything in the engine area...not even the rear pieces beyond the fenders.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the rear transaxle carrier. Once the tranny is secured in place the engine is mounted to the tranny. No rear support as in a bus.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1651938

fallenone121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Excellent! Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

I found one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-BEETLE-T1-BUG-55-71GEAR...mp;vxp=mtr

So thats a weight off my shoulders.

Im looking into options on engines and transaxles and trying to figure out what my options are for transmission setup as an automatic would certainly be easier.

Also looking into body panels.
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trans you have is an older 68 and under "swing axle". The bug you picked up is an IRS 69 and later. The trans can be changed or the pan can be. Either way the trans you have will not bolt into the body you have.

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
fallenone121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Thank you :) Reply with quote

I will undoubtedly look for another trans when I can find one - I picked up that one when I was thinking of purely just using used or scrapped parts.
fallenone121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: After Speaking with... Reply with quote

...fabricators, mechanics, and all...its been decided that instead of carving up the VW like a creepy doctor I will take the form it already has (baja built with tube chassis and all) and I will build it up into a baja herbie fully Smile
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold a couple Type 3 automatic transmissions,engines & IRS subframes to build Trikes for the disabled. The Baja sounds like a good first choice for a daily driver though.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fallenone121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as I am only living on VA and SS disability - my build is limited in budget and scope - but I asked those who would be doing the work on the trike and they said that it would be at least 15k in just fabrication for the trike.

Thus why I decided to keep the tubular chassis and rollcage thats on the VW I have and build up a baja. It would certainly save on fuel versus what I pay for my 06 STI.
rustednuggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man how goes it. I wanted to spread the word that I have a 72 SuperBeetle for sale. asking 1600. I can send you pics if you know of anyone interested.

Thanks
Rustednuggs
fallenone121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug - To become Herbie the Love Trike Reply with quote

Its been a while since I was on this site at all after the body shop I had working on my project car decided to take it upon themselves to steal thousands of dollars of parts from two cars I had being worked on there. I managed to grab what parts I could and MOST the two cars and get myself a house but I dreaded looking at the cars at all for the last few years.

Im finally starting to get thoughts going to get started on the VW again because I needed something to refocus my efforts onto.

I know I wont be doing a trike build like I wanted because it has a rollcage and I dont want to cut into that since it would cost a small fortune for that alone.
fallenone121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug - To become Herbie the Love Trike Reply with quote

Since the engines are looking to be 3000-6000$ for a VW engine and noone locally has one I can rebuild that they know works even at the most basic level I will likely be looking into a change from that. I dont want to chop up the VW outright so I have been looking into the 2.2L Subaru builds but sticking with VW transmission as the subaru transmission for the vw is thousands of dollars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: