Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rods. Which way?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Rods. Which way? Reply with quote

I am test fitting parts.
I know factory rods get the bump on the rod up and the bearing tang always ends up facing down. Problem is these rods are CB Performance I beams and they have no bumb on he rod.
Do I just install them all with the bearing tangs down? Or am I missing something?

Seems od that the lettering on the rod (CB) would be upsidedown but I guess nobody will see that unless a rod comes out unexpectedly! Hopefully not : Shocked
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rods. Which way? Reply with quote

The might not be offset rods.

I suggest calling them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rods. Which way? Reply with quote

My brother just called for me and he said there is nonoffset ground into the rod so it doesn’t matter.
I installed them all with the bearing tang facing down just as found on the stock rods.
Now it’s time to start checking if everything turns freely with the case halves togeter.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rods. Which way? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

I asked the same question a while back and some other people have asked it since I did.
I always see the same answers.
Original VW rods are offset thus dictating a certain orientation.
The H-Beam or I-Beams rods are not offset so can be installed in any orientation. Good practice would be to ensure they are all the same.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rods. Which way? Reply with quote

the early cb unitecs were offset, and the bump was on the rong side.... Shocked I think thats when they removed the bumps. the oe rods can have interfearance issues, but I dont think the cb's did. but when rods are offset and all offset the correct direction it affects the balance of the crank.not much but some. centered rods do not affect balance.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rods. Which way? Reply with quote

These rods don’t seem to be offset. I will double check them again after I open the case back up.
For now they are all with the bearing tang facing down.

Right now the crank and rods all spin freely with the case halves together and the 6 main studs tight. Need to check the deck height and order shims or have more deck removed, then ensure the new cam fits and spins properly when it arrives.

Thanks again for the advise.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rods. Which way? Reply with quote

I seem to recall the oe rods can contact the cam when installed reversed....I think....but these days I try not to think so much...it hurts...everything hurts. hard to remember the first time I used oe rods....I didnt acctuly use any, never have .but I did a mock up one time then threw the vw rods away..of coarse that was in a 78.0 stroke motor. but if there wasent a issue vw wouldnt of had the knotch or noted they have to be put in this way or that way... vw rods are parallel, I have no idea why they offset the beam& cap from center. the oe rod may contact part of the case when in rong...like I noted ,it was long ago. perhaps it was a margin of error for vw to make sure they did not contact squat.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rods. Which way? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I seem to recall the oe rods can contact the cam when installed reversed....I think....but these days I try not to think so much...it hurts...everything hurts. hard to remember the first time I used oe rods....I didnt acctuly use any, never have .but I did a mock up one time then threw the vw rods away..of coarse that was in a 78.0 stroke motor. but if there wasent a issue vw wouldnt of had the knotch or noted they have to be put in this way or that way... vw rods are parallel, I have no idea why they offset the beam& cap from center. the oe rod may contact part of the case when in rong...like I noted ,it was long ago. perhaps it was a margin of error for vw to make sure they did not contact squat.

Wasn't the idea to exert equal forces to both sides of the piston pin? Push/pulling it in the "middle" of the pin?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: