Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia interior
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia interior Reply with quote

Seriously love that colour in the sun.

rbsurfguy wrote:
Looking for inspiration. Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would rehash this.
I am at the point of finding an upholstery shop to get my interior done. So, I am looking for some inspiration and would love to see everyone post theirs. I am currently stuck on some shade of tan, as I like the tan canvas convertible tops available against the color of my Ghia. As a reminder, mine is kind of a dark burgundy, kind of grape color in the sun.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It doesn't matter what color your interior is or what pattern you have, I would just like to see all the combinations, all vinyl, vinyl and tweed, all tweed, all cloth, etc. Give me some ideas and suggestions, open to other color possibilities.

Show whatcha got!
Jeff
Karmann_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia interior Reply with quote

Just putting this out there. So many lovely options but eventually I went with full leather two tone, including the door cards and pull handles.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: ghia interior Reply with quote

^^^^^
What a beautiful result! Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia interior Reply with quote

I'm liking all the interiors I see, thanks everyone. Great to see all the different color variations matching the body color or just personal preference!

Thanks Steelz21, I like it too out in the sun. In the shade or at night, it looks like a deep black.

Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: ghia interior Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
personal preference!
...what it comes down to Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: ghia interior Reply with quote

I think the gray always looks nice with a red Ghia...I've actually had a copy of this pic in my files for some time because the interior looks so fine!
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia interior Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
I think the gray always looks nice with a red Ghia...I've actually had a copy of this pic in my files for some time because the interior looks so fine!
Jeff
Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. Now are you going to change your mind if I tell you it's that deplorable cheapass carpet that everyone loves to hate... no doubt that's too much information Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ghia interior Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Jeff
Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. Now are you going to change your mind if I tell you it's that deplorable cheapass carpet that everyone loves to hate... no doubt that's too much information Wink

Honestly, I don't give a crap what others think...Your carpet looks good, if no one else likes it, they can buy you what they want you to install, otherwise, in the words of GhiaPet Chris, "they can all go F&#K themselves!"

I personally couldn't care less what someone else puts in their own car, their car, their choice. Plus I'm a deplorable anyway.........
Jeff

Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this for the better part of three years. Stock interior or go custom?

At first I was obsessed with making my '64 as original as possible. It originally came with red vinyl and two tone door panels. That style is available form West Coast Classics. But after swapping the body out, I realized that my car will never be original - 64 chassis, 67 body, engine from a Beetle, bumper parts from ten other cars... you get the picture. It's going to look nice but it's still a Frankenstein Ghia. So why stress over originality?

So my latest idea is something I've never seen in a Ghia, drumroll...... GTI Plaid. It will be offset against black vinyl, with red contrasting french seam stitching. The door panels will be two tone black with a dark gray center panel and red stitching. Maybe it will be awesome or maybe it will look totally stupid but that's the direction I'm leaning.

Anyway, as others have said let your choices reflect your taste and personality. Don't worry about resale or what the next owner will think. Just enjoy your Ghia!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
GTI Plaid.

I like GTI's. AND they're in the VW family, so same gene pool. Cool
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

In the 80's i had a 66 coupe and 67 Vert in red/white/black plaid, very popular choice back in the day.

Today, my 68 is pretty much bone stock other than nothing from 1968.

Black on Black perforated centers. Newton Commercial carpet with OG mats.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

That's a beauty! I've heard nothing but rave reviews for Newton Carpet. I'm going to place my order this week.

Did you get the narrow weave or square weave? I bought floor mats from Luis so I'm thinking of getting the narrow weave kit without the mats as I'm trying to rein in my budget.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
That's a beauty! I've heard nothing but rave reviews for Newton Carpet. I'm going to place my order this week.

Did you get the narrow weave or square weave? I bought floor mats from Luis so I'm thinking of getting the narrow weave kit without the mats as I'm trying to rein in my budget.

Newton says their "Narrow" is most like original, i followed their suggestion.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

Quote:
So my latest idea is something I've never seen in a Ghia, drumroll...... GTI Plaid. It will be offset against black vinyl, with red contrasting french seam stitching. The door panels will be two tone black with a dark gray center panel and red stitching. Maybe it will be awesome
I think it will! Very Happy

Even though the GTI is a decade newer than your '64, another possibility could be '65 Porsche 911 houndstooth cloth with the black vinyl. That would also go very well with your door panel color choices and look "sporty German", though will lack the color of the plaid. But maybe you already thought of that 911 upholstery.
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

I had my Mini cooper S interior done in GTI Diesel cloth, this has no red stripe in it.

I think it would look great in a Ghia.

Peter D. wrote:
I've been thinking about this for the better part of three years. Stock interior or go custom?

At first I was obsessed with making my '64 as original as possible. It originally came with red vinyl and two tone door panels. That style is available form West Coast Classics. But after swapping the body out, I realized that my car will never be original - 64 chassis, 67 body, engine from a Beetle, bumper parts from ten other cars... you get the picture. It's going to look nice but it's still a Frankenstein Ghia. So why stress over originality?

So my latest idea is something I've never seen in a Ghia, drumroll...... GTI Plaid. It will be offset against black vinyl, with red contrasting french seam stitching. The door panels will be two tone black with a dark gray center panel and red stitching. Maybe it will be awesome or maybe it will look totally stupid but that's the direction I'm leaning.

Anyway, as others have said let your choices reflect your taste and personality. Don't worry about resale or what the next owner will think. Just enjoy your Ghia!

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
So my latest idea is something I've never seen in a Ghia, drumroll...... GTI Plaid. It will be offset against black vinyl, with red contrasting french seam stitching. The door panels will be two tone black with a dark gray center panel and red stitching. Maybe it will be awesome

Even though the GTI is a decade newer than your '64, another possibility could be '65 Porsche 911 houndstooth cloth with the black vinyl. That would also go very well with your door panel color choices and look "sporty German", though will lack the color of the plaid. But maybe you already thought of that 911 upholstery.

Peter D, by complete coincidence, this fantastic Ghia has an interior just like I described above. Seller used Scat Procar seats without headrests for the mid '60's look on his '69 Coupe:

Crap- I don't know how the trick to get the image posted here.
[mod edit: fixed it for ya]
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Newton says their "Narrow" is most like original...

I totally agree...especially if you opt for vinyl binding instead of cloth. Newton's narrow-weave kit is very close to the original carpet that was in my '67, both in color and texture.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

[quote="Rome"]
Rome wrote:
Quote:

Love It!!!

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Who made your door panels? They look really good.
I'm trying to find all my options for a correct factory look 66 door panel with the 4-pleat stripe.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia interior Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
In the 80's i had a 66 coupe and 67 Vert in red/white/black plaid, very popular choice back in the day.

Today, my 68 is pretty much bone stock other than nothing from 1968.

Your left side door pull/arm rest seems to be reversed (i.e. a right side one).
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: