Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a 356 one chunk at a time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

I have been drving and restoring vws for 35 years, I have always wanted a 356. I have always been short of the needed cash to buy any kind of 356 and it has gotten worse every year, despite my income going up the two have never come together. I am going to build one by buying pieces of cars and putting it together. I have done this with hot rods because decent bodies are real hard to find. I found a pair of A doors and a hood and I am looking for any parts that I can use to complete the body. Have any of you seen this done before? I am not worried about period correct or matching numbers or investment value I just want a 356.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

Probably the most expensive approach. Consider return on investment for a compleat one. Just get a deal on on $20K one maybe for a complete B. I know they aren't an A but they are everybit the car to drive and play with. The B seemed a little more deluxe to me. Could you do something with one like this? The problem is it does not look complete. Or This one: 1960 356 Price: 22000.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

Your best bang for your buck would be to buy a 356/912 motor and a 356 kit car and you will be driving a "Porsche", as to source e`nuff original real Porsche parts (that are real rare now days and glass is near impossible to find ) would cost more than buying a real 356 rust bucket as the slang for old Porsche parts is "356 GOLD". Look at the kit cars for sale on this site and then the 356 Porsches for sale. The thought of building one from parts boggles my mind. Confused
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

Your best bet is to open a separate bank account "356" no ATM card.

Try to put $300 + a month in it.
Then in 2-3 + years you will have enough for a project car.

I saw this 356 B car a guy restored. $4200

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-porsche-356b-5/

He said he had $19,000 invested. Did all the work himself.
Built a octagon rotisserie for $150. Changed out a lot off rusted panels, floors, rockers, battery area.

The car looked very nice when done.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

Be easier/less expensive to save up beer cans and hammer them into a 550 Spyder. Like another said buy a non-rusting fiberglass kit car and you'd be driving it in a few months.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Like another said buy a non-rusting fiberglass kit car and you'd be driving it in a few months.
But you won’t be driving a Porsche, you’ll be driving around in a “it”! Embarassed
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

Don't listen to the negative guys. Go for it. A few years ago I talked to a "Porsche parts expert" about building speedster from scratch. He said it was a stupid idea and impossible. Hmm now people are building vintage bodies for many cars including the speedster.
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

I agree it seems insane, I have built several hot rods using piles of parts and pieces from multiple years of fords. My 31 coupe is 9 bodies pieced together. I own a tool and die shop we make stamping dies so I have largeb shears and presses available to me, something most people wouldnt have. My doors and hood are on the way I am going to buy as many original panels as I can and then buy aftermarket stuff thats available. I helped a friend with a 32 ford and by the time he was done there was nothing left from the original car that he payed 5 grand for. Every panel of nearly every panel was replaced or partialy replaced, this is when I came up with this plan. I thought about starting with a big pile of rust but I know most is thown away and in the end its sometimes easier to start with nothing and move forward than to start with crap and work to zero.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

I have a car in my shop right now that is getting about 50% of it replaced. I love 356 and have owned a couple over the years and sold them when they were more valuable to someone else than me. Doing panel work on these cars has left me with the understanding that virtually all of them, especially the "affordable' projects, are absolute rust bombs. That, coupled with the hard life that many of the cars led makes for a difficult and expensive restoration process.

I completely understand what you are trying to accomplish and I would likely take the same path if I wanted another 356. Restoration Design sells virtually all of the chassis parts to assemble a brand new, rust-free foundation for a 356. The one part they don't make (yet) is doors. From what I understand they are very close to having a full steel Speedster.

Those with the skills and understanding of what can be used in terms of crossover VW parts could build a very fun, interesting and fast 356 with a long term investment of time and money. It will never be a Porsche but I doubt that I would care.

Someday, when I have more time for my own coachbuilding projects, I'd like to build this Porsche based Zagato:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

I got a nice pair of rust free A doors and hood, need a nice deck lid if anyone has one. I am going to start buying panels soon I will get as many original parts as I can and see what happens
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

I could see the approach if you found a stripped chassis. Without a chassis it just seems like a pile of parts.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
neilb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

umm interesting, how are you getting on with this project? it's been a while since the last post...

don't be disheartened it can be done with some ingenuity, skill, and a little persistence.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

From your posts on AMS, you would definitely know!

Neil, if you had to build yours again, would you start with an actual car? I think I would prefer to start with a stack of steel and aluminum.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

I have a pair of A doors and an A hood I have had no luck finding a front or rear clip . I have found mechanical parts but trying to find usable sheet metal is pretty tough and there seems to be alot of junk that people want alot of money for. I look everyday on line hoping to find chunks of cars.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

I have a front and rear clip. T5 coupe. Unfortunately they are still attached to each other. A full rolling chassis with clean Porsche 356 non salvage title. No roof doors lids engine etc. Rust? What do you think? Posted it on this very thread when first started but no response so I deleted it after a few weeks. In Southern California. Look up my ph# if you’re interested and leave a message. I’ll delete again in a few days.
Ciao Very Happy
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

you could put in an offer for this! Laughing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/porsche-356-speedster-w...SwYY1eVsA6

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
dred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

MoPor wrote:
I could see the approach if you found a stripped chassis. Without a chassis it just seems like a pile of parts.

I totally agree. Definitely need a good frame to start with, and built on a table.

Or...

Just get your ma and sis to pick one up for you next next time they're out and about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

dred wrote:

Just get your ma and sis to pick one up for you next next time they're out and about.
I wanna' go with those two next time they go out pickin'! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

I went and looked at a pile of rusty fenders and a smashed nose that the guy wanted 5 grand for. I stood looking at the rusty pile of crap that he thought was gold and I came to my senses, this is silly. I am going to buy a new cayman or one thats a year or two old. I started looking last week and I am pretty much over wanting one of these because it just seemed pointless, the prices are stupid. By the time I pieced this together I would have 20 grand in a pile of rust. After welding up all the pieces there would be nothing porsche left. I have 50 grand to spend and that doesnt get me anything but a rust bucket in 356 land so I am getting a new one.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a 356 one chunk at a time Reply with quote

thevinster wrote:
I went and looked at a pile of rusty fenders and a smashed nose that the guy wanted 5 grand for. I stood looking at the rusty pile of crap that he thought was gold and I came to my senses, this is silly. I am going to buy a new cayman or one thats a year or two old. I started looking last week and I am pretty much over wanting one of these because it just seemed pointless, the prices are stupid. By the time I pieced this together I would have 20 grand in a pile of rust. After welding up all the pieces there would be nothing porsche left. I have 50 grand to spend and that doesnt get me anything but a rust bucket in 356 land so I am getting a new one.

Reality sucks.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: