Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of L140 red/brown primer?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Pictures of L140 red/brown primer? Reply with quote

Hi

I tried asking this in the paint and body forum a few weeks ago but it got no answers, so I'm trying it here on case any bus owners know...

I'm looking for a picture that definitely shows L140 red/brown primer. Does anyone have one? And does anyone know the equivalent colour in any of the modern paint systems?

I'm trying to work out if that's what the brown primer is on my '56 single cab.

E.g. on the heater tube here...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those pictures were taken after I'd, dealt with some surface rust with phosphoric acid, then applied a clear underbody wax to protect it.

I want to colour match this when I repair the cab floor sides and battery tray.

Thanks

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of L140 red/brown primer? Reply with quote

I have seen red oxide primer on Wolfsburg buses.

Here's my Jan 56 westy's headlight bucket:
two colours of red, then grey, then Dove Blue:

Here is red oxide on Greg's July 55 Westfalia:

Here is a June 55 SC we used to have, 20- 132 xxx

(when we got it it looked like this: Sad )

I am not familiar with the brown primer you show.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of L140 red/brown primer? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I have seen red oxide primer on Wolfsburg buses.

Here's my Jan 56 westy's headlight bucket:
two colours of red, then grey, then Dove Blue:

Thanks Clara. Sorry for the late follow-up, I was on holiday posting from my phone on the beach. Now I have my laptop screen I can see the colours in your pictures better.

The darker of the two reds in the above could be similar to the reddish brown on the underside of my truck and there are some areas on my truck where it fades to a brighter red...

I've also done some more Googling using terms around 'red brown primer' and found that the Germans used a standard German Red/Brown 'rotbraun' red oxide primer on military vehicles in WW2 and later.

Modelling forums describe RAL 8012 as similar. I may get a tester of that to see if it matches...

I'm keen to get to the bottom of this as it looks original.

Inside the treasure chest is grey primered and that is a thick paint-like primer that's very tough and wasn't affected by the posphoric acid when I sprayed it. It may be that there was grey primer on the underside originally, but I can't find any evidence of it. There was a thinnish underseal on the rear wheel arches and on the frame where it goes up and over the transmission. Where I cleaned off that underseal was the just the brown with dove blue overspray and no grey. It's also brown under the overspray on the frame horns and cradle with no layer of grey.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of L140 red/brown primer? Reply with quote

Looking again at the pics.

The Jan 56 has bright red, brown red, then light grey, then dove blue.
The July 55 I think I see just the brighter red, then dark grey, then light grey then dove blue.
I cant see much detail in the primer of the 55 SC, which I no longer have.

Your truck has the brown red, then dove blue? no bright red? no grey?

The 55 is not nearby, but I can get a better pic of the Jan 56.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of L140 red/brown primer? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I can get a better pic of the Jan 56.

Thanks Clara. That would be great if you don't mind?

I've ordered a rattle can of RAL 8012 as an experiment.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: