Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Little CV help needed on a Jetta
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Little CV help needed on a Jetta Reply with quote

I replaced the front struts on my Mk4 jetta and I got myself into a pickle.

When I was removing the strut on the right side, somehow the axle pulled out from the outer CV joint. I didn't notice this until I was all done with the struts and got the car back together. The only think holding the axle to the CV is the boot.

Is it possible to work it back in, or do I need to pull the entire axle? Also, is there a circlip on the axle?

I gotta get this thing done before work tomorrow....

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Little CV help needed on a Jetta Reply with quote

To remove the passenger strut from the knuckle, you need to unbolt the inner CV from the transmission so the axle will clear the subframe. If you don’t do this, you’re in for a fight which it seems that you ultimately lost.

Remove the lower ball joint so you can get the CV out of the hub & at this point, it’s best to remove the drive shaft. You should be able to get the CV back onto the drive shaft but you need to remove the large end clamp so you know that the joint is still assembled & also so you can line it up on the splines before driving it back on. You should probably get a new boot kit, just in case.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Little CV help needed on a Jetta Reply with quote

FWIW I remove the stub axle to pull the knuckle, leaving the axle assembly attached to the transaxle.

J
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Little CV help needed on a Jetta Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I will report back in a few days when I get some time to work on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brianbernal71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Little CV help needed on a Jetta Reply with quote

Would this vehicle now need to be aligned?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Little CV help needed on a Jetta Reply with quote

I've been in your shoes before and I have always managed to get the CV back without pulling the boot.

Anytime you do suspension work, an alignment is the only way to know it's back to where it should be. That said, if you remove the part without disturbing the alignment hardware, you should be fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: