Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Always Shuts Off At 90°
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

I've heard before that a healthy engine always lands at 90° when you shut it off. Without looking at the valve positions or thinking about it too much, I'ma guess that 90° ATDC or BTDC is just a point where it's easy for the engine to stop at (friction-wise, as in springs aren't compressed very far, or no pressure is building in a cylinder).

My question purely out of curiosity: is it always 90°? Do higher spring pressures, more compression, wilder cam profiles, etc change everything?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

Maybe one cylinder might be at 90* but there is no way all 4 can be 90* so that is a pure myth.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

Maybe he is talking about 90* on the distributor?
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

crank is flat plane. All four cylinders would be at 90, either BTDC or ATDC.

I've heard the healthy engine thing before...

Friction from the rings is acting against the crankshaft, so if you assume frictional force is the same anywhere along the bore, when the rod is near perpendicular to the crank (near 90 degrees) it will provide the highest resistance to rotation.

Cam timing and lobe aggressiveness. When your at full lift, the torque required to rotate is low even though the springs at the highest force. You would need spring rate. I would think this is low compared to the tension from the rings (short moment on the cam)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
I've heard before that a healthy engine always lands at 90° when you shut it off. Without looking at the valve positions or thinking about it too much, I'ma guess that 90° ATDC or BTDC is just a point where it's easy for the engine to stop at (friction-wise, as in springs aren't compressed very far, or no pressure is building in a cylinder).

My question purely out of curiosity: is it always 90°? Do higher spring pressures, more compression, wilder cam profiles, etc change everything?

I've got a bizarre idea. Why don't you start and stop your engine ten times and find out. Do you have a degreed crank pulley? Let us know what you find.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

I think I read someplace that the engine stops on the weakest cylinder. Anyone else ever hear that?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

Mazda experimented with a stop-start engine based on this concept. It used a computer-controlled valve train and stored compression to kick the engine to restart it, without exercising the starter motor. Clever thinking, but I don't think it ever went into production.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

Doug Berg would always check his pulley after a run. A sign of a valve spring going bad would be if the engine didn't stop in it's usual positions. He posted this on the CLF like 20 years ago.
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

I'd say when the energy remaining in the rotating mass is less than the energy needed to reach the top of the next compression stroke, regardless of what cylinder that happens to be, the engine will stop.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

I've found it to be true, but I'm not a crusty old man scared to listen to people or learn new things...

I read it on facebook so it must be true... but it was from Clyde and I tend to listen and learn when anyone Berg talks about VW's
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

Oh sorry guys. I meant the pulley. It's either 90° ABDC or BTDC. Can't remember which.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

I've noticed that it is easiest to check for end play on a built motor with TDC being at 3 oclock or rotated at 90 degrees CW from TDC. But if end play is normal, you wont feel anything. If its around .010, you will feel it at that position easier. That seems to be where a motor I have now, likes to stop after running
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Oh sorry guys. I meant the pulley. It's either 90° ABDC or BTDC. Can't remember which.

There is no difference. 90 is 90 no matter what end you count from
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

FWIW Briggs and Stratton had a “compression relief valve” on the end of their motors. It would relieve the compression in the cylinder after you stopped the motor.
When you went to re-start the motor it would be easier on the starters
Ask me why I know...I bought a Bobcat zero-turn from a guy for $1200 after he bought it for $6500 and burned up 6 starters and was tired of messing with it. I researched and found that to be the issue and had Briggs replace it for free.
That was 10 years ago-still running like a champ!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

modok wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

There is no difference. 90 is 90 no matter what end you count from

I was preoccupied when I typed that. I meant ATDC or BTDC.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Always Shuts Off At 90° Reply with quote

Ok, but still the same.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: