Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

Just referring to the Bentley manual where it talks about safety wiring the bolts in the front backing plate. Mine are not and the bolts are not drilled to accept the wire. I assume that they have been replaced. The bolts are tight (torque spec is 29-33 ft/lbs).

Should I be concerned or try to find drilled bolts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

Remove, clean.. Use Red Loctite... torque them.. call it a day..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

After over two decades in aircraft maintenance, even their "correct" diagram makes my eye twitch.

Careful what grade of thread locker you use if you plan on possibly taking things apart again in the future. The high strength stuff often requires heating things up with a torch to get the thread locker to loosen.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

I have never seen them wired, ever. dozens of Bugs I have owned or worked on never had the wires, nor drilled bolt heads. I dont use lock tite there either, ever in over 40 years of doing repairs there. Never had a loose bolt issue there either.

Red Locktite can be a pain to remove. Once made the mistake using it on a stud on an aluminum case. even a torch didnt help as the aluminum sucked the heat away too much, and nearby stuff was in danger of melting. had to drill that stud out, then use a pick to get the spring shape like bits of thread broken out from the locktite. That was the high strength red stuff. If you do decide on locktite there, use the removable stuff, maybe the blue stuff? but in reality, you do not need it, nor safety wire, unless maybe you are doing racing and experience some crazy bad vibrations.
The safety wire should be used on the carb and its pump, see link below on safety wire and engine fires....

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

This pic was posted in another thread about brake hardware differences 58-64. I know my ‘70 does not have the drilled bolts nor is it mentioned in the later Bentley manuals. Couldn’t find anything in the “Refinements “ reference. I looked up the bolt in the ‘1960 parts manual and it showed them as being 10mm x 1.5 x 18mm. No pic so you couldn’t tell if it was drilled or not. The 6 undrilled bolts in mine were exactly that size and were marked Kamax. Could have been replaced I suppose.
They must have stopped using that system at some point. My ‘60 is a February 23, 1960 production date.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

My 1200 cc Bug manuals do not show the safety wire on front backing plate bolts.
My 1957 manual, by Scientific Magazines, Australia VW ltd. does show a drawing of the safety wire set up. But it does Not mention safety wire in the text, even though the removal and install of backing plate is written in detail, right down to the torque value.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

Just went through the owners manuals in the Samba technical section. I realize that the illustrations are not always 100% accurate and they reused older pics. But 1951 - 1960 manuals all show diagrams with the safety wire. Starting with the 1961 manual, as pictured here, the safety wire is no longer there.

Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

Progressive Refinements says that the securing wire was no longer used beginning the 29th Jan 1960. The bolt heads no longer had holes drilled through them, and they were slightly thinner. A suitable hole could be drilled through an otherwise identical KAMAX bolt if needed for a resto.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
Progressive Refinements says that the securing wire was no longer used beginning the 29th Jan 1960. The bolt heads no longer had holes drilled through them, and they were slightly thinner. A suitable hole could be drilled through an otherwise identical KAMAX bolt if needed for a resto.

Thanks. Mystery solved.
And think of the cost saving of that wire per car plus one less step in the assembly process. Seems trivial but I suppose every little bit counts.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:

If you drill a hole in the bolt head, make sure it is not the thinner head stock bolt that you drill. The original VW drilled bolt had a thicker, i.e. "taller" head. The extra material on the
thicker head allows for the drilled hole to be moved farther away from the root of the head. Drilling to close to the root of the head of as you would have to do on a thin head bolt, like the stock VW non drilled bolts, will weaken the bolt then the head could break off easier.

Bug On! and Don't Lose Your Head!

Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

^^ Yes, absolutely correct.
I drilled such a hole once through a single thick head KAMAX bolt, using an original correct bolt as a guide. The end result was indistinguishable from factory, but it took a long time for that little drill bit to go through!
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

One other piece of trivia. This pic of the KAMAX drilled safety wired bolts have an 8 G marking. The non-drilled KAMAX bolts on my ‘60 have a 10 G marking. This refers to strength/grade of bolt right? If so, that would suggest that they went with a higher strength bolt when the VW engineers decided that safety wiring was no longer necessary.Also they bumped up the tightening torque to 36 ft/lbs from 29-33 ft/lbs. [img]
[/img]
rickcsvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: safety wiring front backing plate bolts 1960 bug Reply with quote

I have a 62 that had the safety wire still installed when I removed the drum. I found this post searching for the necessity of the wire. I have the bolts (with holes for wire) installed with lock washers and no safety wire. Just getting the holes in the bolts lined up to run the wire was a nightmare plus the wire kinks and won’t pull through easily.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: