Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vwbuschris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

I have a 76 Westfalia and trying to figure out what wire is for the sending unit. Does anyone have any advice?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

None of those, the tank sender wire is found inboard of the RR shock absorber on 72+ models, it goes up into the tank area through the floor on the angled area near the side. It's the brown one when you do locate it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Vwbuschris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

Funny, that... I just uploaded a photo of the fuel sending unit wire with its T-connector and grommet through the floor. It feeds into the wiring harness under there, near the starter.

Mind you, that is for a truck, and our fuel tanks are located forward, on the floor, as it were.
The fuel tank in a kombi would sit in the depression next to the T-connector.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

I love this site so flippin' much. Thanks guys.

i verified my gauge works.. i can tell someone has replaced the sending unit before (the sheet metal above it is cut in H pattern).. hoping to find/fix a wiring problem.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
None of those, the tank sender wire is found inboard of the RR shock absorber on 72+ models, it goes up into the tank area through the floor on the angled area near the side. It's the brown one when you do locate it.

Disliking the potential confusion with all other brown wires, being Earthing wires (i.e. Grounding wires in USA parlance!?!), I changed the colour-coding to green / brown, which is more consistent with the rest of my wiring loom for gauges and warning lights, which is green / tracer-colour for gauges and mostly blue / tracer-colours for warning or tell-tale lights.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

Moved on to the sending unit …

If I jump from battery to FSU ground wire.. i get 12.4 V
So ground is good.

If I jump FSU ground wire to FSU hot wire… Gauge goes to 1/1 Full.
So that implies the hot line is also good.

But, if i put a meter between the hot and ground in the FSU area (pictured) … the voltage dances all around between 2.5 and 4.5 V. I expected to see 12.

Is that normal or do I have a bad hot wire into the FSU after all ?

Running a line from battery to FSU hot input does not move the guage.

Btw, do you think i can squeeze a new one into that opening? Its hing style 1975.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

Don't go putting 12v into any of those wires!

If grounding the sender wire gets a full tank the gauge and wire are good, the sender grounds that wire gradually as fuel level increases, if the tank is empty it should read ~90 ohms.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

Thanks BD.. i thought every thing could handle 12. lol
Thanks for the word on the timing also.

I guess it’s a bad FSU. Wishful thinking that it would be wiring.

Hopefully i can shoehorn a new one in there.
I tried to order a new one yesterday but the vw man convinced me to test ground first. Laughing
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

The voltage regulator on the fuel guage contains a bimetallic strip and heater. It pulses the 12 volts on and off a few times a second, heating up the strip when the output voltage is 12 volts, breaking the contact when the strip gets hot enough.
It produces a voltage which averages about 5 volts.

With a digital meter it presents values that dance about because the meter averages the voltage about 3 times a second, the regulator pulses a couple of times a second, the two beat together and produce junk.

If you connect an analog meter or an oscilloscope you would see the voltage swing to 12 volts and back again.

If the fuel gauge is working, and you have a pulsing voltage at the sender end of the wire, the sender may just have partly burnt out.

They all burn out eventually, cheap reproduction senders are worse than cheap reproductions made 10 years ago which are worse than originals.

They all read tank level and produce different values for different amounts of fuel, just the calibration of the newer senders is very poor.

On my current sender, the tank goes into the red sector after 100 miles.
After another 100 miles, it sits a needle's width off empty. After another 50 miles it sits at empty and it is empty.

If you hunt around you may find a sender with approximately the correct construction (the winding of the resistance wire is bunched with tighter turns up at one end) - these will cost more.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

I would cut off most of your flap and make a decent air tight cover for it. Leave enough of the flap so that it gets up onto the flat and then increase the size of the hole towards the rear of the body a bit. It didn't take me too long to make the fitted cover I have, but you could also use a flat cover and some fire stop caulk.

This is the cover I made for my 77, but I would move the entire hole rearward 3/4-1" if I was doing it again, so I didn't have to deal with the bend in the deck.

75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:

On my current sender, the tank goes into the red sector after 100 miles.
After another 100 miles, it sits a needle's width off empty. After another 50 miles it sits at empty and it is empty.

That must be exciting on remote mountain roads…. Shocked Laughing
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I .. and some fire stop caulk.

This is the cover I made for my 77, but I would move the entire hole rearward 3/4-1" if I was doing it again, so I didn't have to deal with the bend in the deck.

PO cut mine just past the bend.. so it will not crease nicely. may cut it off as you mentioned. Fire proof caulk…. Need some !

Last edited by 75 Westy FI noob on Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

This is the cover I made for my 77...

Where can I find some patch/hatch material ?
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

I put my new FSU in today. Old one looked very rough, i think it has barnacles!
May still try to clean it. Lol

Wondering if there’s a trick to tightening the new one. Tapped it h a punch but still needs 1/8 turn to finish.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

Grease the O ring as well as the bayonet tabs.

Слава Україні!
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

Nevemind.. got it sorted out!

Pliers are from an electrical pinch kit. Worked great

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

If the rest of the inside of your tank looks anything close to that you have much bigger issues in your future than just not being able to tell how much gas you have. Shocked

Слава Україні!
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
Nevemind.. got it sorted out!

Pliers are from an electrical pinch kit. Worked great

That fuel-gauge sender is in a horribly rusty mess!

What sort of horrible, sub-standard petrol (i.e. gasoline in USA parlance!?!) or petrol / ethanol blend having you been putting in your fuel tank!?!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Which wire is for the fuel sending a unit? Reply with quote

I always ran 'real gas' in there ... but I left the bus with some family for a few years. They put new gas in it.. then parked it and it sat for about 8 years.

I assumed that was a newish FSU... but obviously it isnt very new at all.

exterior of the tank looks good. I didn't shine a light into the tank. maybe i should have a look in there. i was trying to switch them quickly and didn't think to look in there.

I am afraid I may have over tightened the FSU ...it seemed to need another 1/8 turn.. and I used those pliers and put torque on it.. it didn't move, then suddenly popped forward into hopefully the lock position. so it's good, or i broke it. Laughing

guage on the dash is working now tho!

Last edited by 75 Westy FI noob on Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: