Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

whats the highest compression engine youve built??
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

seems like we need some more actual performance posts, so... whats the highest compression engine youve built? and maybe throw some specs in, and what fuel you run.

mine was just 8.8:1 1641, but most of mine are turbo. most ive boost so far though is 20lbs through stock 1600 on 91octane.
currently running 2276 8:1 cr , 12lbs of boost on 91

id kinda like to build a high compression n/a though and have read ppl have trouble going past 9:1 on pump gas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

2783cc Autocraft case with 910 heads 10.8cr. I use 91 with torco octane boost. 600 street miles on engine so far, still working out the "Bugs"
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

Webcam 86b
Tim's stage II heads
9.4:1 cr
45 DLRA's
Low octane pump gas. Normally.
The car did 14.413 @ 91.7mph June 1st. Cool Used High Octane for this run.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

1737 cc water pumper, 9.5 CR 15+ psi boost on propane (120 octane equivalent). 10* pressure retard. Started to ping at 12 psi at 70*F ambient. 18 psi no ping at -30 ambient.

Presently running 1911 type 4, 8.4 CR N/A on 87 octane. No ping found anywhere. Regret not taking CR to 9.5!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

10.5:1 is easy when the cam is bleeding off a little. No pinging on 91 pump gas
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

Brutus:
12:1
2332cc
Ultra Wedge Ports
Web 251
51mm EPCs
CB Aluminum case
VP C-12

Little Brutus:
10:1
Wedge Ports
Eagle 2290
48 IDFs
Another CB aluminum case
Shell Gold 91 with octane boost.

Baby Brutus
9:1
Revmaster 049s
Engle 110
40mm HPMX
AS-41
Shell Gold 91

brad
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

2276, AC.net Super Squish pistons, Pauter vn119 cam, 12:1 CR, 93 octane.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

Comp eliminators 48/40
FK-98
12.7:1
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

21-1 Razz
Do diesels count?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

2165cc
Street Eliminator heads
FK-10
11.2 CR
Mix 1 1/2 gallons 110 race fuel with 3 1/2 gallons 91

1425 Lb W/driver Dunebuggy ran 12.20's
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

13:1, but it was a drag only Ghia. 7.57 at 90mph in the 1/8 mile. Fun car, especially against the V-8s. Cool
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

You asking about static compression, so 10.5:1 on a W130 on 91 octane at sea level. But I’ve built engines with more actual running compression than that.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

thread is going great , lotta good replies. lets not ruin with going down the static vs dynamic road
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

8.7:1
With no additional work my parts config gave me 9.5 static. I thought that was a little high so I added 6cc to my chamber volume.
Not he highest obviously but I don’t want to have to find or carry race gas when I just want to cruise the mountain roads.
There are two different CRs so if you only want one you should be more specific in your questioning.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

The last engine I had in my split was a 2275 that I tried to follow the Pro Gas class rules. (PG legal heads). Few exceptions, I ran a 82 crank and 51s because it’s what I had. Rules allow for 84mm and only 48s). I also had more welding on the manifolds (let’s call that SS/VX legal Smile)

The teams of JackS and Klink set the bar for 44mm intake performance, so you pretty much know what the engine platform is capable of. If your going to chase someone, chase the best.

I built it with 38cc in the heads and valve reliefs and .040” deck with a static CR of 13.6:1. I ran it on VP110.

At bandimere the car would run 11.9s and 12.0s. (Track is 5800’ asl, and DA on a good day is 7000’ and always getting worse). It ran 11.71@114 in SLC, so even a small change in elevation, 4200’ asl, makes a serious difference. I’d guess it would have been a 11.5 or better car at your typical west coast track. Still a long way from the bar set by the best.

Power difference is obvious. Maybe 25hp. The other component is the driver and how hard they will push the car. I’d leave the line at 6800, but I’m pretty sure those guys are 8k+.

Compression is your friend. It makes for a nasty, raspy throttle and you know it’s alive back there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

What causes the higher compression? Not to derail the thread but was curious.
Is it a tighter piston to head clearances resulting in a tighter “squish” area?
So the higher cr would result in faster detonation as opposed to a lower cr?

My other car ran a high cr but we used an msd retard box at first and then a J&S retard box to eliminate the detonation. The J&S was fantastic. It had a small “microphone” that plugged into the block and would only retard when it “heard” pinging. Very slick.

Last edited by 67 Sunroof on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
What causes the higher compression? Not to derail the thread but was curious.
Is it a tighter piston to head clearances resulting in a tighter “squish” area?
So the higher cr would result in faster detonation as opposed to a lower cr?

My other car ran a high car but we used an msd retard box at first and then a J&S retard box to eliminate the detonation. The J&S was fantastic. It had a small “microphone” that plugged into the block and would only retard when it “heard” pinging. Very slick.

The total swept volume, based on the stroke length and piston diameter and the combustion space volume, which includes any space between the crown at tdc and the quench pad area.

A smaller piston crown to quench area distance will “squish” or agitate the mixture more than a looser quench distance.

Not necessarily. Detonation happens after ignition when the pressure rise in the cylinder causes small areas of mixture to combust uncontrollably. It causes pressure spikes that can (in mild situations) push through the boundary layer and leave tiny specks on crowns and chambers, or in severe situations destroy parts. Ignition timing is one of the main culprits.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

My 91 pump octane 2275 is at 12.2:1 right now. I ran 12.8:1 for a while with a bigger cam. Super squish pistons (set #1 been in it for like 15 years). 86A webcam. It has TONS of cranking compression.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

1584cc 13.5:1 class 11 race engine.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: whats the highest compression engine youve built?? Reply with quote

for vw 11.5, for small block mopar 14.3.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: