Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No power to Vanagon clock
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: No power to Vanagon clock Reply with quote

Just splurged on the GW LCD clock replacement but I am not getting any power there.

when i apply voltage to pin 5 and ground pin 3, the clock lights up, so clearly my issue is upstream. Other dash functions work as intended. Anyone know what fuse i should check?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to vanagon clock Reply with quote

Put a new fuse into location #3 if this is an 86+

If an aux battery has been installed it is possible that someone moved the clock to the aux battery. If a GoWesty aux battery relay was installed it is possible that wire butchering was done if their instructions were followed.

Mark
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No power to Vanagon clock Reply with quote

Swapped out fuse 3, doesn’t seem to be the issue... perhaps some other wire butchery has taken place, wire disappears direction of the radio, which seems odd...

Any reason the clock +ve is on a separate pin, could i just tie it into any other switched +ve?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: No power to Vanagon clock Reply with quote

The clock needs power all the time so it doesn't stop when the key is off. The dash map light and the ceiling lights also get power all the time. VW decided the radio should as well. All of these thing originally got power from fuse #3 in 86+ models.

Mark
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: No power to Vanagon clock Reply with quote

do you have power at the clock's pins at all?
on mine the power is there but the pins were very very loose didn't give power to the clock.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: No power to Vanagon clock Reply with quote

Get a battery tester switch it to resistance and check for continuity to ground us an extension cable if needed. It will divide the problem hunting by half for starters . If you have continuity on ground then it means you are missing positive + feed..
You can find the fuse by testing for continuity again cable/pin from the fuse box removing the fuse each time, fuse pin by pin if not you will get a ghost reading. . I believe it is the internal lighting fuse but check it with the tester to be sure and at the same time you will be able to check the state of the positive+ supply cable.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: No power to Vanagon clock Reply with quote

No power whatsoever at the pin.... my options are to pull the dash and chase down the wire or splice in a constant on +12v
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: No power to Vanagon clock Reply with quote

The 14 pin connector for the cluster has a red wire.
That red wire is clock power. Does it have 12v?
If not, you could splice a different 12v feed into that wire. Make sure it has a fuse!
I would cut the wire and tape the loose end if you decide to get a different feed source.

Mark
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: No power to Vanagon clock Reply with quote

No power on red wire... will splice into another constant on
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: