Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought something I never bought before.....
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

A fishing license....

Haven't had time to take a few days off in decades to actually go do a little fishing. Was looking at my PTO bank and I have 5 weeks left this year and decided to actually use some time during the summer months to take a little break from work.

Looking forward to trying a few places I have been driving by for 30 years to see if I can still catch a fish.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

I consider fishing to be "taking my fish hook for a swim", I just don't have the talent....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

last time i went fishing was with my daughters a few weeks ago.... the only thing that bite were the mosquitoes....

i hate fishing. always did, always will. the most boring thing to do.

if you like the nature, go for a walk in the wood. if you like water, go in a boat. if you like to be miserable, go fishing.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

Game warden: "You're going to pay a big fine for all those fish in your bucket"

"But, officer, I didn't catch these -- they are my pet fish and I just bring them here to swim. When they're done they jump back into the bucket."

"Oh really? This I've got to see. If you can prove it, I'll let you go."

The fisherman empties the bucket into the lake and waits patiently. A few minutes go by and nothing happens.

Game warden: "So where are the fish?"

Fisherman: "What fish?"
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

Quote:
i hate fishing. always did, always will. the most boring thing to do.

Exactly...I need boring for a day or so.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I need boring for a day or so.

That is quote worthy right there. I think all of us need that
minger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

Genius me came home with a soft serve ice cream machine strapped down in my truck. My wife just shook her head. It isn't working quite right but that is why it was such a good deal. Hey, it was cheaper than a gaming system and those don't make ice cream. I love soft serve ice cream. I'll pass on fishing and try my hand at hobby HVAC.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

The last time I went out to wash hooks was 2 years ago with my three grandsons. The oldest wanted to catch a fish but when he hooked a slough shark and got it out of the water all 3 boys were so horrified they all headed for the other side of the boat on mass. Darn near tipped the boat over.

City kids!! Rolling Eyes
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

Having grown up near the water (Gulf of Mexico) I grew to enjoy many different types of fishing. For the very lazy there’s setting out crab traps in the fresh water bays. Set them out and go take a nap come back later check traps.

For the more adventurous there’s catching flounder using a gig, you stand in waist deep water and spear them requires hand eye coordination. Surf fishing or fishing off a pier is a mixed bag don’t know what’s gonna bite.

Then the big time deep sea fishing, you charter a boat and are guaranteed to catch big fish which the crew will clean and pack into coolers for you. Guaranteed you don’t catch you pay nothing. There’s way more to fishing than putting a worm on a hook. A good day is eating fresh red snapper. What man doesn’t like snapper?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

Thing is fishing lets your problems go down the fishing line and then they disperse in the water. Very relaxing. Every time I go fishing the fishing is always great, now the catching part sometime sucks.
Nothing better then enjoying fresh fish.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Exactly...I need boring for a day or so.

The best thing about fishing is that it looks like you’re actually doing something without having to feel guilty about spending time doing nothing Cool
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

Well now when I was a boy the poor people took cane poles and fished the bay so they had food to eat. They didn’t care whether they looked busy they just wanted to eat. This is way before cardboard anything helps signs or disability scams, imagine that Very Happy ever eat a croaker?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

Well my two day fishing adventure is over....

8 total hours in 2 ponds and 4 rivers. Caught a lot of little fish which on my light tackle was just fine. Sat on rocks, took my shoes off and dipped my feet in the water.

The weather was perfect. It was really a fabulous couple of days. I needed to re-set the stress-o-meter and this seems to have helped.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

James Bond, 007, licensed to kill fish. Laughing

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

About 6 years back a good buddy of mine got into fly fishing and stopped by to give my daughter a fly fishing rod for her birthday. Then he wanted to take us fly fishing. Well I had things to do and places to go but I went along with it for her sake.

Feeling out of sorts and grumpy I sat on the dock dangling my feet in the water going through the motions of casting a Panther Martin half heartedly out a few feet and reeling it in while watching them do the swishy swishy fly thing and not getting a bite.

Then I got a fish on...

and another one...

After the 5th Rainbow took my hook I hollered over to the others "Lets go home, I'm getting sick of taking these slimy things off my line!"

Well Sir! I had no idea he would use that kind of language in front of my kid! Shocked

One of the best fishing trips I ever had! Very Happy Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

one of my daughters has the fishing touch. I can do ok but she out fishes every body around. it dosent seem to matter where she is fishing, her friends always want her there so they get more fish.lots of more fish.and the best part for them is...she does not eat any fish or sea food of any kind.......go figure. florida girl, former county lifeguard, hell of a fisherman/woman. out swims all the other life guards and ..dont eat fish. with one of the largest charter fishing fleets in the usa and....oh somany fresh off the boat awesome seafood.....and dont eat fish...boy was she in for a supprize when she did a semester abroad in valencia spain on the coast...where almost everything to eat was seafood..pigs,cows&chickens were unheard of. that was as bad as her summer trip for teacing in hungry..balonoa was the main coarse for most meals...and just a few slices, she found out what poor was.there was other foods but it was a winter school with dorms and no money for food... she went to town to get food and threw a few feast eat outs for the kids&teachers in her dorm. and learned how they cook stuff. I think she can cook almost everything now from all her world travels.I miss that kid, but Ill see her in DC in 5 days.and Im sure we will eat something different and not seafood.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought something I never bought before..... Reply with quote

Was up in St. Germaine Wisconsin a few weeks ago, brother in law brought his bass boat so got a fishing license. I'll be damned if we didn't get 15 crappies a day and a few sunfish between the two of us and 3 kids. Made for a great fish fry for lunch one day.

Neat thing is all over the lake working the edges and nothing- 50 meters off the dock where we were staying was the hole and just pulled them in for about an hour and we were done, three days in a row.

Was in the Bahamas after that and really want to try fly fishing for bone fish- read Jimmy Buffet's Salty Piece of Land and got me dreaming-some day...that or Nimo Bay in Alaska-thanks Denny Crane.

It's called Fishing; not Catching.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: