Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

need gasket for fuel pump
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
texkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: need gasket for fuel pump Reply with quote

Looking for just the gasket that fits between the upper portion of the fuel pump and the lower portion of the fuel pump, although I'll buy a complete repair kit if necessary. This is for an 1972 beetle fitted with the original generator. Any help appreciated.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: need gasket for fuel pump Reply with quote

texkafer wrote:
Looking for just the gasket that fits between the upper portion of the fuel pump and the lower portion of the fuel pump, although I'll buy a complete repair kit if necessary. This is for an 1972 beetle fitted with the original generator. Any help appreciated.

buy a kit, or cut your own from a sheet of gasket material. Gasket material is available at many autoparts, and hardware stores stores. This should be a paper based gasket, not rubber. I am not aware of them sold individually. Perhaps one of the rebuilder vendors here maybe able to sell you just a gasket. Is this the square top pump you refer too? the model will be important to know when inquiring on a premade gasket.

I have cut my own gaskets many a times, a sharp Exacto knive, cutting board and pencil to trace the pattern, along with a sheet of the material is all that is needed holes for the screws can be cut with a # 11 Exacto blade, the pointy blade, or even drilled.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: need gasket for fuel pump Reply with quote

It's really not clear what you're asking for. There's a gasket below and above the plastic fuel pump flange. VW discontinued having different gaskets
above and below the flange sometime in the early '70's I believe. Dunno whether you can find aftermarket gaskets of the old style with just the little
push rod hole in it. There's a long list of VW parts suppliers from the "Community > Businesses" button on the header of thesamba.com.

The only other gaskets on a stock '72 Beetle fuel pump was under the top that was removable to access the filter/screen, and under the screw that
held the top on. AFAIK, those are NLA, but they are easily made from a sheet of gasket material available from any automotive parts store.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: need gasket for fuel pump Reply with quote

Not sure what pump you're talking about. Contact Bill, he rebuilds fuel pumps.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=24116

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
texkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: need gasket for fuel pump Reply with quote

thanks all. Yes it's the gasket under the top that was removable to access the filter/screen. I'm just going to make one. thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: