Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

Who’s got one? I’m seeing many Jetsons on the road. And then the big dual sports. Yummy.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

I want a little electric pit bike. Haven’t pulled the trigger, yet.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paxilill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

I bought an eMTB last year and it's a hoot. The downside I had to sell all my old bikes to get one.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

I don't own one but have brothers that do.
They have nothing but praise for their electric bikes.

Educate yourself before purchasing, the assist design varies greatly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

I've ridden bicycles my whole life and have listened to people who want to get in shape and join me on the bike paths. So, they head out and get an E-bike and for the next month they are so proud of themselves. I can see the bikes in a few years out in the garage with the stepmaster and the treadmill. I think they have their place, but are being marketed as something they are not.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

My Buddy bought himself and his new wife matching E bikes because she is badly out of shape. He wanted to spend time with her while helping her with a weight problem. Regular bikes did not work because he got frustrated with the pace and she got cranky because she could not keep up.

So now he peddles his E bike and she uses up the batteries for both bikes. End result... no more marital scraps over the bike rides... all come home happy.

However... she is not making any gains on her weight problem. Rolling Eyes

But round and happy is still better than round and grumpy, there is that! Very Happy
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

Its really a decision based on whether I wanna keep using dino bikes or go electric. Don't have a weight issue. There is a dual sport flying down the street on the daily, have seen them for sale. about the same cost as dino. Im the kinda guy that goes all out or not at all. My neighbor bought a jetson, small enough to put in a trunk, like a pit bike. Im kicking around the idea of buying a small group of islands, and just wanna get a feel for it. Building a small resort that is not close to anything. my current home is getting overwrought with people who don't get island life. Electricity for charging seems easier, especially keeping fresh gasoline in tropics is problematic. I just love dino, thats all. I was playing with golf carts for awhile to get a feel for the difference, and like like. The main issue, with electric in the tropics is salt. Ideally a small diesel motorcycle would be perfect, since I can run the engine on pig fat, coconut oil, almost anything really.
Keeping the ingress and egress to the resort down to a minimum is primary, when ones clock starts getting past noon, you don't wanna spend any of it, actually traveling. Its a plan Ive been working on for about twenty years, and its ripe, especially after the recent vacation we all had.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

I got a electric lawn mower instead...mowed with it a week ago for the first time.,it gives me a 1 hour break at about half way....witch can be good or bad,. sometimes it may be hard to get started again(mee not the mower) But Ive been looking at the motorcycles for a few years now. still not sure.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

If it has a "motor", then it's a motorcycle.

Nothing wrong with a e-bike, it allows slower people to ride with faster, you can ride father and it gets lazy people off the couch.

As for me... i'll continue to spin the pedals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now an electric scooter/motorcycle has intrigued me. Most of my "driving" is local on local streets. I though of getting an electric scooter to get around on nice days and leaving the car at home. Something that can do 45mph, but i would stay off major roads and obviously highways.

An electric scooter, one with turn signals, license and helmet can take a lane where a bicycle will get pushed tot he curb.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Nothing wrong with a e-bike, it allows slower people to ride with faster, you can ride father and it gets lazy people off the couch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now an electric scooter/motorcycle has intrigued me. Most of my "driving" is local on local streets. I though of getting an electric scooter to get around on nice days and leaving the car at home. Something that can do 45mph, but i would stay off major roads and obviously highways.

An electric scooter, one with turn signals, license and helmet can take a lane where a bicycle will get pushed tot he curb.

yeah I have been holding out as they get better and better. I think for me if I get an ebike I can use trails meant for bikes and you're right, get pushed to the curb on a surface street, vs being in traffic (or worse, sidewalk in downtown which is a no no but life saving) I'm lucky but one of the factors when I bought my house is there is a bike trail to downtown dumping off close to the office.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Johngus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

Got one, love it. It opens much more distance to ride. I recommend Ebikes!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

My electric bike is a regular cruiser converted to electric with a kit called TSDZ2. It's a torque-assist only setup (no throttle), so
if you don't pedal with real effort, you don't go. It's very handy thing in a hilly place like Seattle, where I'd otherwise be
off the bike pushing it uphill a lot on most of my trips.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

I have the RAD MINI, now called the EXPAND5.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/electric...lding-bike

it's a solid quality and function bike.
folds nicely to fit inside the camper.. for travel/storage/security
it'll fold up and toss on the back cushion behind the back seat in my vanagon easily.
well it is a heavy mofo.. but that's cause the frame is solid and well built for a folding bike.

really opens up more territory when/where we camp.
make runs to the store for things easy and quick.
and I can and do still get more exercise than my previous non-powered bike cause I just wouldn't go till I hurt anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

it'll fold up and toss on the back cushion behind the back seat in my vanagon easily.
well it is a heavy mofo.. but that's cause the frame is solid and well built for a folding bike.

and I can and do still get more exercise than my previous non-powered bike cause I just wouldn't go till I hurt anymore.

Dan..looking at these.

Where are they made?
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Dan..looking at these.

Where are they made?

*Not Dan here, but they are made in China.
I/we are looking at an e-bike. To start we want to get one to share. Wife is <5' tall and I am 5'10". (I used to be 6 feet tall 52 years ago in high school. Many things shrink over time.) Supposedly this Rad bike can be adjusted to fit both. At ~$1650 the price point almost seems reasonable considering the price of the competition on Amazon.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

I have been lusting over a Revi Cheetah Cafe Racer ebike.
I like the styling and ease of riding.
It'll do 26-28mph. Which is plenty fast for where I live.

The only downside is, that you can't remove the battery to charge it. And there's no lockable power switch.

https://www.revibikes.com/products/cheetah-the-cafe-racer

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

We have a friend with an,"lectricebikes.com", Getting one for my wife.
Nogindrops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

Electric bikes and motorcycles are getting popular, and I can see why. They're pretty neat with all the new tech and being good for the environment. I don't have one yet, but I've been thinking about it, especially with more of them showing up on the roads. Choosing between something cheap, fast, or reliable is hard. Pick one that's reliable and fast is probably the best idea, especially if you'll use it often.

I did some research on electric bikes by checking out motomotar. They've got lots of information that helped me learn about different kinds and what makes each one suitable or not. It's a handy place to look if you're interested in electric bikes and motorcycles.

Last edited by Nogindrops on Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Bikes and Motorcycles, really trying to tempt me Reply with quote

My son bought one 2 years ago and it went 120km and it quit. I didn't know he had it until recently, now I am trying to get it running again. The dealer is no longer in business so no help there. We have tried to contact the distributor - no reply back yet. Others with the same make report very poor to non existent tech support. I have contacted many E bike shops but they do not want to service or supply parts for bikes they didn't sell.

I am slowly learning what makes them tick, it's looking like a faulty speed controller. There are about 1000 different speed controllers available on line but none of them match part numbers or wiring with this one!

Ya! the E bike market is definitely in the teething stage right now not unlike the car industry in the early 1900's. Every man and his dog is making and selling something but good luck down the road...

I bought one for myself back in September from the local tire shop. It has a 2 year warrantee and the tire guy says that so far... they have been really good to deal with on parts and repairs.

Here is for hoping!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: