Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

still having idle problems...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

One quick question, on the 8mm-to-8mm hole using the green adapter seal, should the 10mm side be facing up (against the oil cooler) or downward (against the case?)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Ok - for the heck of it I went and checked my AS case for a Dog House, and it also has the 10 on one side and 8 on the other. I use Red seals as I have the 10mm doghouse cooler.

I would think you using the two green seals and washers would be correct for what you have. The Red should not be used as you dont have a 10mm cooler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

The 10mm should face the case, and the 8mm should face the cooler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Thanks very much Jon!
I will switch to the green adapter seals when I get the Elring kit in.

And to Q-dog's point it appears my cooler does not have the raised bosses around the mounting studs so I do need to be using the spacers.

1600 SP engine
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Glad to help when I can! When installing, be very careful to tighten them slowly and evenly, jumping from one to the other every 1/4 turn. That way they will compress evenly and straight across all 3.
SwagWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Check that #3 plug hole for cracks. I had a plug get black like that, turned out the head was cracked and the plug would loosen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Why would you use an early cooler with smaller passages on a late case? Yes they make adapter seals but why do you think VW went with the bigger offset cooler? 1970 a one year only cooler would match you case if you just had to look original but I cannot stress enough the benefits of running the better aluminum cooler along with the offset, the bigger fan, the Hoover bit and associated sheet metal pieces, we got the flaps and cross bar linkage and it will fit the thermostat rod and bracket you have however there will be no provision for air cleaner cable. That’s a small trade off.

Per our earlier conversation I was unable to make that 700+ mile drive and I’ve been a bit under the weather lately but I’d be willing to help you obtain these pieces. Bughaus is closed on Monday. If there isn’t a rush to put this car back together we might be able to blast the metal parts and prime. You could do a mini detail and freshen up the engine room. Very Happy
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Why would you use an early cooler with smaller passages on a late case? Yes they make adapter seals but why do you think VW went with the bigger offset cooler? 1970 a one year only cooler would match you case if you just had to look original but I cannot stress enough the benefits of running the better aluminum cooler along with the offset, the bigger fan, the Hoover bit and associated sheet metal pieces, we got the flaps and cross bar linkage and it will fit the thermostat rod and bracket you have however there will be no provision for air cleaner cable. That’s a small trade off.

Actually I have absolutely no problem switching to the later doghouse style. I suppose I had reverted back to thinking about going with what I already have when I was told the reason for the #3 plug being black was not due to #3 cylinder running hot.

Speaking of which there is a guy over here in Bella Vista selling a doghouse shroud and the oil bath cleaner with the thermostatic flaps:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/450209005760600/?ref=messenger_banner

He wants $20 for the shroud and $10 for the air cleaner, shroud looks a bit worse for wear but would probably clean up OK. How does that sound?

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Per our earlier conversation I was unable to make that 700+ mile drive and I’ve been a bit under the weather lately but I’d be willing to help you obtain these pieces. Bughaus is closed on Monday. If there isn’t a rush to put this car back together we might be able to blast the metal parts and prime. You could do a mini detail and freshen up the engine room. Very Happy

AAh thanks for letting me know about Bughaus being closed Monday, I was all set to head over there. There's no rush, I want to do some other stuff while the car is down anyway (like replacing the dash pad, possbily fixing up the interior etc.) Just let me know what works for you--thanks once again for the help!!

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

OK here are a couple pictures of my #3 and #4 cylinder head spark plug holes- #3 was the one with the sooty plug so that is where most of my attention is focused.

#3:

#4:

Looks like a crack between the valves on #3, but I don't really see any cracks between the plug hole and either valve.

1600 SP engine
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Besides the potential crack you see, the rest looks ok from the photos. The plug could be bad, the wire has too much resistance or a loose plug are still on the table.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Here are my other two cylinder head spark plug holes-- anything incriminating or OK?

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

New question:

If, after I have completely drained the oil, and the engine has been sitting for about a week, it is still dripping oil from the seam on the bottom of the case between the two halves, is this normal?
I ask because I need to know whether this is indicative of a "sealing" issue with my case or normal. (With all the old folks on here saying these engines when properly assembled are not supposed to leak a drop of oil, it has me wondering.)
Thanks for your time.

1600 SP engine
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

From my experience, once I drain the oil it always finds a way to continue to "seep" until I install all new gaskets and really clean the areas around the oil drain and seam.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

JonRich55 wrote:
From my experience, once I drain the oil it always finds a way to continue to "seep" until I install all new gaskets and really clean the areas around the oil drain and seam.

Thanks Jon- is this only after draiining the oil? (i.e. when the engine is in operation this doesn't happen for some reason?)
here are a couple of pics:

From the "wetness" on the front of the engine case I'm thinking shot front main seal... but I also think it's leaking through the case seam as the pictures seem to show. I guess since I've gone this far I might as well crack the case.

1600 SP engine
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Looks normal to me. You have the sump cover off and even the slightest of tilt backwards and you have exactly that. It takes a very long time for all the oil to travel down....
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Be sure to check the torque values for all of your case hardware while you have easy access. You can loosen one at a time and then torque back on. But the seam itself is usually very tight. That oil might have migrated along the bottom of your case from the sump hole, as johntrich suggests.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Thanks guys- I really appreciate the help. I'm kind of on my own here-- some folks who are regular posters on here about this kind of stuff won't post in my threads any longer because I call it like it is.

1600 SP engine
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Maybe start a new engine rebuild thread? The original topic - idle speed - doesn't really relate to your oil leak. I know that I stop reading some threads when the conversation goes off topic. Maybe others will chime in if you start a fresh thread devoted to oil leaks.

With the engine out, have you checked your end play?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: still having idle problems... Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Maybe start a new engine rebuild thread? The original topic - idle speed - doesn't really relate to your oil leak. I know that I stop reading some threads when the conversation goes off topic. Maybe others will chime in if you start a fresh thread devoted to oil leaks.

That's a good idea, in fact it will probably be an entire car refresh thread, engine included. There are lots of other things I've wanted to do to this car for a good while now (mostly cosmetic), now is the chance to do it while it is out of commission.
That said, it won't make any difference with respect to the posters I'm referring to. Trust me they read through every thread and post in most all of them. They know the score.

Tom K. wrote:
With the engine out, have you checked your end play?

Actually yes (just by hand, not with a micrometer.) It seems fine. The absolute tiniest bit of movement.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: