Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

I'm running power to the pop top for lightning (perimeter and led strips).

I'm using marine 14/3 triplex. Long story short I just need ground up there.

On a pop top, do you think the rear hinges would be a good place to get ground? Does anyone know what the hinges are made of? Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

I may have to run a separate cable.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
lightning

I think you meant to say "lighting", not "lightning"? I certainly hope you don't routinely camp in places which require lightning rods ...

In any case, I would certainly run a continuity test between the hinges and a known good ground. It's possible they can provide a suitable ground, but perhaps the plating and body paint prevent a good connection?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

All you need is a multi meter to test for continuity and a good ground. Surely you have one of those.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

Lighting! I'm on my phone and it auto corrected. It is raining outside and I can't pop my top right now. I'll get the multimeter out and give it a shot.

I found some marine 14awg wire so worst case scenario I'll just run it from inside the van.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

Don't see why not
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

Ideally you’d use on of the bolts that secures the hinge to the sheetmetal
roof skin. The factory used some sealer where the bolts attached, so you’d probably want to clean the threads bolt and hole to ensure good connections.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Ideally you’d use on of the bolts that secures the hinge to the sheetmetal
roof skin. The factory used some sealer where the bolts attached, so you’d probably want to clean the threads bolt and hole to ensure good connections.

Are there rubber washers between the hinge and rook skin from the factory? I know the Mosaik kits had them and I copied that over to my conversion .
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

Brandon, IIRC correctly you have Jack Bombay lifters. I'd think a good ground could be found on a Bombay mounting arm/plate.

Rubber washers unknown... on our '84, the factory mounting bolts used some black silicone to seal them but I don't think there's any other rubber involved.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

If I wanted a ground point I'd look at the screw/bolt that holds down the H bar.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

If your lighting is isolated from any other circuits (ie, only connected to the +/- leads) and your 'hinge ground' provides enough current, the 'hinge ground' doesn't need to perfectly match battery ground so long as the voltage differential is enough to power your lighting (eg: given 12v lighting, a 13v +supply and 1v ground still yields 12v).

That said, if you have a perfect ground option, use it. It will have a greater voltage differential as your battery drains.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have the GoWesty lifters. I could use that but I want it to be towards the rear/hidden.

Yes ideally remove one of the bolts on the bottom pop top hinge and get ground there.

It's crunch time. Like I said I've been taking pictures as I go but I can't wait to show you guys what I've done. However It won't be until after High County bus festival before I can post photos
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

I don’t recall any rubber washers on the two tops I have removed. Only some sealer.
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ground from pop top hinges, will it work? Reply with quote

If you wanted to be sure and have a good ground you could make a flexible jumper from top to bottom of the hinge. Maybe a little braid from a piece of coaxial cable (like CB antenna coax, not the stuff used for cable TV) with crimp lugs at each end. Dress it so it has a gentle flex when the roof opens.
Same idea as the transmission ground strap but a lot smaller.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: