Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Safari Beige Notchback Preservation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

Found my rattle. Weird I was replacing the steering damper since it had never been replaced. While I was replacing it Decided to just poke around under the front end and see if I Could find that rattle. First thing I looked at was the shock absorber and moved it by hand. sure enough that was it.. Must have been going out for a while and the PO had to have known cause there was a big washer and then a little washer that was hiding the bushing and you couldn't see the bushing of the shock absorber. this is all the was left of it and it fell out as soon as I took the washers off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Replaced both sides after seeing that and wouldn't ya know it, the car has no rattle now and its smoother.. who woulda thought. Rolling Eyes Laughing

There's a new skatepark in La Quinta opening up tomorrow and some friends and I are goin out and gonna camp in the Anza Borrego desert park after checking that out. I plan on making a full circle of a trip from OC to La Quinta, from there to Anza Borrego and take the 78 into Julian, then into San Diego territory and spend a couple days with my girlfriend in San Marcos/ Escondido area and then back to the OC. I mapped it out and it'll be about a 450 mile round trip with everywhere I'm goin. I'm anticipating lots of pictures to be shared later from the desert.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

Looks like you might have a torn ball joint boot in the background of the pic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Looks like you might have a torn ball joint boot in the background of the pic

Good eye, yes it had a small-ish tear in it and had since been replaced too, figured I’d do that while I the wheels were off.
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

Camping trip done. Starting in the OC we headed east on the 91 fwy towards the 10 to go through the Coachella valley. We gassed up and got some Del Taco in Indio which was about 150 miles away from our start. only used half a tank and averaged about 27 mpg babying the cars at 60-65 mph. From Indio we headed south on the 86 towards the 78. We were still about an hour and a half away from our destination for the night. a couple of photos from the windshield of that drive.

Kinda cool heading down the 86 and you can see the Salton Sea from the highway. We turned onto the 78 towards Ocotillo Wells where we were gonna be camping for the night. We were going to some BLM land out there in the middle of basically nowhere to go shoot some guns and see what kind of trouble we could get ourselves into. Laughing Turned on a dirt road that followed alongside some train tracks and drove about a mile and found where we were gonna call home for the night. It was so nice out there. The weather was rather mild and the skys were clear. Only about mid 80's as far as temperature goes. surroundings were quiet and nobody around. Completely by ourselves.

Next day we packed up and headed out and up the 78 towards Julian. I feel like an idiot at this point cause the only issue I had the whole trip was because of a driver error other than mechanical.. Mad
So after we left camp and we headed towards the main road again my friends who were behind me in this sketchy 65 C-10 didn't bother to tell me he was gonna pull over and check his oil (which had been leaking behind his water pump the whole trip.. Shocked Rolling Eyes) and there were some other sketchy things about him taking that truck on this trip, but we won't get into that right now. Anyways, he pulls over on the side of the road and one second he's behind me and the next they're both out on the side of the road with the hood up... Unbeknownst to me I think "okay.. what happened." and flip around.. well I didn't look to see what the side of the road was like and just flipped around and ended up getting stuck in sand.. I had a collapsable shovel with me and there were rocks and I started dicking myself out and bumping the car over rocks and repeating the process. They catch up t me after checking the oil and just start laughing at me as only the best of friends would do Laughing and after they calmed down they started helping.

I had the means to get myself out but it woulda taken a lot longer. I got really lucky there was a huge caravan of Ford Raptor F-150's that were comin down and they pulled over to see if we needed a hand and one of them had a strap and pulled me out.. I felt so stupid in the moment.. and to find out I didn't have to turn around cause my friend was just checking his oil made me feel even worse. Oh well.. it's funny looking back and I got lucky that I wasn't up to my axles in sand and nothing got in any places it shouldn't be in..

We left there and headed up into Julian. I tell ya, that drive is beautiful. the 78 heading into Julian, especially in Banner where it opens up into this grassy valley is so awesome! Wish I had some pictures of that, but I don't the camera on the phone was hard to focus and while driving on windy roads.. ya i'll just say no toi that so I can be safe for everyone else's sake and my own.. I love it through there. Julian, Santa Ynez, Ramona, sure it gets hotter than balls at times out there but its beautiful.

All in all, this trip was a great drive that covered about 500 miles in all with all the driving I did and the car drove great. I knew it would too. We all decided to plan more camping trips like this in the future cause it was such a great time. I mean who wouldn't think driving a type 3 all around wouldn't be a great time! Thats what it's all about!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

Are you in San Diego now?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

and what happened with the squareback? want to sell it? Cool
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Are you in San Diego now?

I was from Thursday evening to Saturday afternoon. I think I'm coming back down this weekend to go to the Good Guy's show in del mar Saturday
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
and what happened with the squareback? want to sell it? Cool

Sorry Erik, Once I get my tax refund that one is getting some love. It's got a soft spot in my heart being my first car and my first type 3
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

Alrighty, recently had a hiccup with the car. Thought my T/O bearing was going out due to clutch whine and a bad feeling pedal. Ended up replacing the following:
-T/O bearing
-Clutch disc
-Presssure plate
-Bowden Tube (old)
-tranny input shaft seal

Still had a bad slip and the pedal didn't really feel better. Well, turns out the whole tube inside was broken off the mounts inside the tunnel. We got that all welded up and put back together and yet I still have slippage in the clutch.. Confused Motor is gonna come out again, but am trying to figure out what else to look for. It's a new clutch assembly which I think would've been fine, the flywheel didn't look bad so I left it on without getting surfaced.
Gonna check for a bent cross shaft, and oil on the disc. I didn't see any oil coming from the bottom of the bell housing but will keep an eye on that too. anything else I should look for? Trans mounts are tight too and the front looks solid.
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

The 5 year mark of ownership came up 2 days ago. Felt like I should do something for the ol' gal. Haven't had much motivation to get stuff done since work, school, and general life has been getting in the way and exhausting me. I got a couple days off and decided too finally tackle the small project of matching my lower interior panels in the backseat. Originally gray.

I met up with Jack and Pedro at the "famous" type 3 factory in San Diego a while back since jack had a couple things for me. Pedro suggested I use the panels I had and paint them with a vinyl paint. He had some mixed for me and I finally found it in me to tackle it. I would say the color turned out pretty good!

I couldn't help but test fit the panels when they were done drying. I had to see how they matched up with the factory original fronts.

Not bad I'd say. I have some smoothing out to do before they officially get put in the car for good but hey, more than half way done I'd say.
Some things I forgot to update with as well.. A while ago I decided to tackle the pop out windows. Man.. I gotta say what a Royal PITA!!! Mad Heard from numerous sources that patron and lots of swearing helps and then more patron. Too bad I don't drink.. Rolling Eyes the installation of the rubber wasn't so bad with silicone spray and some working around and what not..

Also had a little helper through the process. I think Billy likes it in there! Laughing

The hardest part I'd say is definitely the reinstallation after everything is back together.. Not to completely give up but man.. maybe I shoulda started drinking cause that sucked.. I ended up driving over to ISP West and had them show a young aspiring padawon such as myself the ways of installing these things. In a little under an hour and poking fun at me we had the windows in and am confident I can do it next time without their help. lol Laughing. Also finally got the correct style early wrap around dash for the car. Can't say its the prettiest or nicest dash but shoot.. I'll take it! Extremely hard to come by and I had to jump on it. its better than the incomplete one I have in 4 pieces..

I decided to give it the ol' install so I didn't have to look at the metal dash anymore. It'll have to come out again when I install a headliner eventually, but for now wanted it in to make the inside a little more complete.

In my 5 years of ownership of my second type 3, it sure feels like I've done a lot but at the same time It feels like I've barely done much to the car. Lot's of gathering the correct things and correcting Previous owner doings. I gotta tell ya though; being able to daily drive a stock type 3 is AWESOME! I love both my type 3's and love how I can daily drive them and be confident that I can hop in at any given time and drive any given distance without a hiccup. Especially driving in style Cool . Here's a couple photos from a somewhat recent trip into Santa Barbara I took. This car has a long ways to go before it's "done" (I don't think it'll ever be completely "done" though), but it sure does have a lot of character and I intend to keep that for now and it sure does look good driving down the road. Cool

Last edited by KylanC on Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

KylanC wrote:
In my 5 years of ownership of my second type 3, it sure feels like I've done a lot but at the same time It feels like I've barely done much to the car.

I bet if you posted the first photo next to the last, you'd be quite surprised! Looking really great, Ky. Lots to be proud of here.

And Notchback pop-out rebuilds are hard af! Glad mine are done!

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

I guess I jinxed myself with my last post by gloating about daily driving a type 3 Laughing . So I was driving home from work Tuesday night and noticed the headlights and gauge lights were very dim and brightened up by a lot when I raised the RPM's. I figured it was the voltage regulator so I replaced the old unit with what I thought was a good used one. turned the car on and everything seemed to be working as it should.

Fast forward to Wednesday. I'm driving to San Diego and everything seemed fine when I left. I stopped at a buddy's house on the way and noticed that the gen. light did not light up as it should with the oil pressure light in the pre-ignition turn. I was poking around and thought okay well maybe a bulb burned out.. drove down to San Marcos to spend some time with the girlfriend and the car drove fine except for that light not in operation.

Now fast forward to today, I get in the car and it's dead. no lights, no click, no nothin. It's dead dead.. I go and get the battery tested and sure enough, it was cooked. Got a new battery and a new voltage regulator and installed them. Red light on during pre-ignition, turn the car on and it stayed on.. I tried polarizing the VR but even after the light stayed on. So I go back to the engine bay and look at the generator. BOOM! There's the problem. One of the brushes had literally popped out of its seat and I inspected the other side and not only was the other brush on the bottom severely worn down, the copper braid attached was no longer attached.. So I do some more looking becuase that should NEVER happen.. that's why those springs are there to hold them in place to contact the commutator. My further findings were not good..

My theory is that the VR I put in was not "regulating the Voltage" output of the generator and it ended up getting so hot and frying itself along with the battery.. Here's the kicker. Since I am trying to keep this car as stock in appearance and as close to being stock as mere possible I have all the workings of a 12 volt system and have made it appear as 6 volt like early cars had. So the commutator was converted to 12v and put inside a 6v casing with all the 6v shrouds. Can't just run up to the local parts store let alone ISP and get a new one.. and it'll be a pricey fix.. The price you pay to do things "nice" Laughing Rolling Eyes

Been in contact with Notchboy and He's been awesome in coachin me through and talking about the issues at hand. Awesome to have a type 3 veteran coach the youngin. Currently still in San Marcos and here til Saturday evening. new battery should get me home, but ya.. gonna have to get that fixed and cost a pretty penny

New voltage regulator

Broken Brush

Broken and burned commutator

KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

So maybe someone can shed some light on this issue that just happened today.. Been feeling a little defeated as of late since it seems to be one thing after the other with this car right now..

Keep in mind my battery and voltage regulator (bosch solid state) have been replaced within the last 1,000 miles and the generator was recently rebuilt in the same time frame..

I was driving today and the car was running great. I stopped at a gas station with a friend to get a drink. When we got back to the car I turned the key and I didn't get a crank. I suspected the starter wire might have disconnected. It had so I just reattached it and went on my marry way. just after I turned the car on the red light was glowing and did not go out.. I pulled over and checked it all out and made sure everything looked okay. The belt was fine and was spinning the gen. pulley just fine. The brushes (top and bottom) look good and all the connections on the VR look good as well. No visible signs of damage, opens, or burns. We got back and all my friend had was a test light at his house so I used that just to see what I could find and everything had power up to the D+ terminal on the VR..

Again my ignorance is high when it comes to electrical circuits. When I got home I had a different VR that I threw in for the hell of it and no change.. Did my generator just call it quits on me for the second time? Any insight on this would be very appreciated. or anywhere else to start, Thank You!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

I had an issue that I thought was battery drain. I changed everything. It turned out to be bad ground from the trans to the car and a corroded fuse spade at the fuse box. It took an expert to find it!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

So the saga continues! Hopefully onto greener pastures now. Like I was saying before.. Sure did feel like I was getting my ass handed to memoir a bit there. Just one thing after another.. But hey, that's part of reconditioning and driving old cars, right? right. Wink Rolling Eyes Where to begin.. I guess we'll start where we left off with the generator issue.. Well I feel bad for the generator builder. I ended up returning it 3 times..

This is what caused the whole thing. After that I replaced my battery and got a new bosch solid state voltage regulator.. welllllll, that new voltage regulator I got ended up being the cause for the rest of my problems... I got the new generator back the first time and it was making weird noises and then all of a sudden it went dead after I shut the car off one day.. Something had to have shorted somewhere but I still do not know where or how.. cause I received this picture after I sent it back out.. all that happened was the starter wire got loose and fell off and when I turned the car back on the generator light came on..

So now the last time I got it back I put it in and it still wasn't working.. I reached out to the Sensei Pedro cause I was more than confused now.. I checked continuity between all wires, checked voltage everywhere and I couldn't figure it out.. well after Pedro graciously spent 3 and a half hours going back and forth with me over the phone (amigo I owe you some patron by the way!) we finally decided to swap the voltage regulator out with this spare I had for giggles

and whaddya know.. all of a sudden it was working.. even though prior we received good readings on every terminal but the D+ which goes to the generator..
Generators fixed and i was happy! could finally drive this thing again.
Fast forward to about a month later, beginning of September. I'm in San Marcos spending time with my girlfriend and her family, I'm meeting my dad and a friend of his at San Onofre for a surf. On my way down I smelled something burning, like rubber burning. It's about 6:30 in the morning and I'm driving through camp pendleton when I smell this and I thought it was odd but I didn't' hear or feel anything odd and just figure it was the Marines doing something weird and it was carrying over. Boy was I so wrong...I'm on my way back to San Marcos after surfing and I'm driving on the 5 south through Pendleton again and I start to smell the burning smell again.. Traffic is slowing infant of me and I push the pedal in and it goes straight to the floor.. Shocked Shocked Luckily I was smart enough and definitely lucky enough to lightly pull up on the Emergency brake handle and move over to the shoulder and I got out and the right front drum was smoking... Something had to have been sticking.. I got it towed home and dove right into it, well here's one thing I found

When I was taking everything apart I found this on one of the wheel cylinders.. I've asked around and everyone was saying that that's a first..nobody has seen that.. Lucky Alex at ISP had a couple rebuilt ones and I had a new rear That I was able to rebuild the other good front wheel cylinder with.. I went through that wheel. I replaced all rubber hoses all the way around the car, new inner and outer wheel bearings for the right front, rebuilt wheel cylinders, new shoes, cleaned up drum. Took it out for a test drive with some hard braking and that wheel was still getting way hotter than all the others.. I'd been wanting to put a disc brake kit on the car for a while now.. I daily drive this car. Not only do I daily drive this car but I drive this car probably too much.. if that's a thing.. I mean shoot.. From my house to my girlfriends in San Marcos is 93 miles one way, plus all the driving I'm doing when I'm there, and i'm going just about every other week and driving the car a bunch around home too. I was talking with Michael and I figured a practical safety and economic upgrade would be good for the long run. I went with the AC Industries kit that ISP sells. Along with that I still wanted the car to look correct so I kept it single circuit and got the 66' Only Master Cylinder to go with the kit. Who knew used spindles would be rather hard to find when you're impatient.. lol. Rolling Eyes Ended up buying a whole front beam for 240 bucks and figured I'd just part it out later.. I spent some time this past weekend finally putting everything together. I finally went for a good drive yesterday for the first time since the brakes went out.

Along, with swithching out for a disc brake kit, I also replaced the accelerator pedal that was more annoying than anything. One of the tabs at the bottom where the bolt goes through at the bottom was broken so the pedal would move a bunch and I didn't get a "Full Throttle".

Ordered an NOS one from Mario and the car feels so much better with the new pedal in.. big difference! Very Happy

With all the trouble my notchback was giving me It gave me some time to drive my squareback again and kind of go through that thing and work on it a little to get it going again.. it ain't 100% but it's drivable. It felt good to drive the Squareack all over the place again, Shoot we weredrivng to south county a bunch and to Malibu a few times. The square back even got booked for a photoshoot in Malibu during that period of time! Gave her a good wash and adjusted the hood since it stuck up a little too high and she was looking GREAT! Laughing Very Happy The house in Malibu where the photo shoot was, was absolutely gorgeous! Here's a couple photo's I snagged of the car with how they had it set up for the shoot.

Well, Hopefully we are on to greener pastures now with all the issues I've had these past few months, but hey it's all apart of the experience and it won't be the last! Now I wanna go on a roadtrip Cool Cool
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

KylanC wrote:

Oh was your master cylinder painted? I believe 356s used the painted version. Cool

Follow ISP West on:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

Had a little fun the other day. Went out to the Hot VW's drag day with the notchback and decided to run her down the strip a few times. First time ever doing that, Both for myself and the car.

Honestly, I didn't really know what to expect other than I knew I wasn't gonna win.. lol.. Laughing I entered the trophy class since that's what's open to any vw and I'm running a totally factory bone stock 1600cc.

Alas, it was totally fun and totally cool just to see what a completely stock powered type 3 will do in a 1/8 mile strip even if I'm running against suped up bugs and newer golf/jetta's Rolling Eyes Laughing

My reaction time coulda been lot better but that glare on the lights was really bad on the left side and I was put in the left lane each time. I got to run 5 times down the strip and just had a blast. times and speeds were fairly consistent so that was pretty cool too.

Here's some photos from the day, enjoy Cool

Also, someone posted these to a facebook group from an old magazine from back in the day, wish I could remember which one.. Cool to compare the data from my runs to the data in the magazine

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

I love it. Super cool, Ky.

You look like a younger jimmynotch. Laughing

KylanC wrote:

Follow ISP West on:

KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

Alright, question for the pro's. Car is a stock 1600 single port with Bosch ZV/JCU 4R3 dizzy, stock solex pdsit's with size 55 idle jets and NOT the stock electronic idle cut off solenoid (rebuilt by Tim at Volkzbits). Automatic chokes were working earlier, not sure they are now but what I am experiencing is the car idles fine at first where it should at about 900 rpm's but after accelerating down the road and coming to a stop the idle seems to be around 1300-1500 rpm's.

I checked everything I could think to look at. idle screws were adjusted right and volume screws are adjusted per manual. I have not adjusted anything other than the idle screws and volume screws since getting the carbs back from tim about 2 years ago.

The car runs great down the road, has plenty of pickup and runs smooth, but just idles fast now.. I did notice once today that it started fine idled fine for a minute until I pressed the gas pedal and then the idle picked up. Seems like to me like the chokes are staying on even though I looked and the choke flaps were fully open.

This issue came out of nowhere and visually nothing looked out of place or out of adjustment and none of the linkage or springs were stuck or out of adjustment. Any help or suggestions to solve my fast idle is appreciated, thanks!
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 safari beige notchback preservation Reply with quote

I keep my chokes disabled, one less thing to worry about. Take the cover off the chokes to see if anything has come apart or loose.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: