Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

About to give up...deluxe window trim
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

What is the secret to installing these? I have been using lube in the slots. I bought the tool with the triangle tip on the end. What am I missing? I’m about to either forgo it or take it to a glass shop. It’s rare I give up! Help!
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

Put the trim in the weather-stripping slot prior to installing the glass. It's nearly impossible to do after the glass is installed. I've seen a glass shop do it with lots of extra hands, heat guns and lube, but for the typical do it yourselfer, just take the glass out, install the trim, and reinstall will be much easier.....
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
What is the secret to installing these?!

There are 2 different types of trim and also two different rubber for this - that need to fit together:
a) early C-shape with anodized aluminum trim (durable)
b) late T-shape with plastic (get blind by the years)

I did need a tool mounting it into the rubber...

Regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools

Last edited by rsbadura on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
Put the trim in the weather-stripping slot prior to installing the glass. It's nearly impossible to do after the glass is installed. I've seen a glass shop do it with lots of extra hands, heat guns and lube, but for the typical do it yourselfer, just take the glass out, install the trim, and reinstall will be much easier.....

Yes, all glass is out. Rubber on glass. Still having issues!

Mine is the early C shape trim.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

is it new rubber or old rubber?
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
is it new rubber or old rubber?

New
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
Yes, all glass is out. Rubber on glass.

Try first to put chrome trim in rubber (roll the rubber in the C shape) - than both carefully around the glass.... than mount it into the car...

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

Lots of blue painters tape helps when you need 8 hands.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

Windex and duct tape to get everything in place, then remove tape and install. If you use a lube that doesn't evaporate it works against you later and the trim slips out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

Are your reproduction trim and seal of the same brand?

I use German VEWIB seals and trim on my cars rather than mix and match, as I think that can be a problem trying to get two slightly differently engineered products that haven't been proven to match up by the supplier first to match up.

A generous amount of silicon spray helps, although it sounds like you are doing that. Also, be careful where the trims meet and the chrome trim cover goes over the two ends, they can pop just as you get the glass installed if you get too over enthusiastic (or so I have been told...…….. Embarassed )

EDIT: I like the sound of the Windex recommended by Anchovy above, maybe the silicon spray was the issue when I had my mishap! I need to do the rear window on my bug soon, so will follow that advice.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
Windex and duct tape to get everything in place, then remove tape and install. If you use a lube that doesn't evaporate it works against you later and the trim slips out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks everyone. I’ll try this trick. Part of my issue is it popping out as I move down the window.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

busmania wrote:

Thanks everyone. I’ll try this trick. Part of my issue is it popping out as I move down the window.

then it's not deep enough

I did mine dry. start at the seam (or gap) in the trim. 95% of the C shaped trim disappears into the seal. push the trim in with your thumb while gently folding the seal "open"

I did 2 windows a night till I was done. it's brutal on the thumbs

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
busmania wrote:

then it's not deep enough

I did mine dry. start at the seam (or gap) in the trim. 95% of the C shaped trim disappears into the seal. push the trim in with your thumb while gently folding the seal "open"

I did 2 windows a night till I was done. it's brutal on the thumbs

I think the trim was in enough (it was pretty deep) but I think the lube I was using was too slippery. Boy did that statement sound awesome after I was done writing it!

Anyway I’ll give it another go.
hperez71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

I sprayed lots of WD-40 on the groove where the C trim goes after the seal was on the glass. Trim was just pushed in easily.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

hperez71 wrote:
I sprayed lots of WD-40 on the groove where the C trim goes after the seal was on the glass. Trim was just pushed in easily.

Silicone spray only. Or boiled linseed oil. WD-40 and any other solvent based lube will eat the rubber. Be careful. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: About to give up...deluxe window trim Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
hperez71 wrote:

Silicone spray only. Or boiled linseed oil. WD-40 and any other solvent based lube will eat the rubber. Be careful. Wink

You beat me to it....for Gods sake...do not use WD-40 or any other spray lube that you do not know every single ingredient of.

Silicone spray with no solvents (like dry silicone spray) or silicone oil....

Linseed oil...list "fair" for EPDM chemical compatibility......so use it and then wash it off...but its should be ok. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: