Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight flashing high beam?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Headlight flashing high beam? Reply with quote

On a 1970 bug should the the operation of high/low beam lever flash the high beam when headlights are turned off? I was changing the column bearing on my bug yesterday and noticed someone replaced the turn signal switch in the past, there are 3 loose wires coming from the switch that don't join up to the wiring harness. Wondering if any of those wires would enable me to flash my headlights with a pull of the lever
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight flashing high beam? Reply with quote

No
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight flashing high beam? Reply with quote

Are they they with tracers? The aftermarket switches came with six wires. Something about the European market. When I was replacing those, back in the day, we would cut off the grey wires. We kept the black with green tracer, black with white tracer and black with green and white tracers. Those all connected to a few connection blocks under the hood.

And as mentioned. No they would not. But there should be two wires for the highbeam switch. Brown and brown with white tracer.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight flashing high beam? Reply with quote

Most of the headlight relays sold now include the passing light feature, if it has a #30 terminal on it and you've connected that to a constant power source the high beams will flash whenever you pull the lever, even if the headlights are off. The wiring from the switch isn't any different from other systems, it all happens at the fuse box.

The bonus wires on some signal switches were for European parking lights where you could choose to only have one side of the car lit when parked on a narrow street.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight flashing high beam? Reply with quote

I see that you are located in Ireland, if your Beetle is a Euro-market car originally then quite possible yes is the answer to your question.

USA-market cars were not equipped with flash-to-pass.
TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight flashing high beam? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The bonus wires on some signal switches were for European parking lights where you could choose to only have one side of the car lit when parked on a narrow street.

European beetles also do not have this feature. But the Type 3s have. So the wires are there to have only one spare part for beetle and Type 3.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight flashing high beam? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, mines a US model that I imported. The loose wires were grey with tracers if I remember right. Everything works so don't think I'm missing anything then going by the advice.
Nice feature to have though so I'll wire up the relay as recommended. Thanks
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight flashing high beam? Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
On a 1970 bug should the the operation of high/low beam lever flash the high beam when headlights are turned off?

The ability for the headlight dimmer relay to work when the headlight switch is OFF is a function of the 5-prong dimmer relay. The US Beetles only ever came from VW with the 4-prong relay which ONLY works when the headlights are ON. SO if you want the function you may need to upgrade to a 5-prong dimmer relay. It is an easy upgrade.

As mentioned, the aftermarket replacement dimmer relays are typically the 5-prong variety. They need an extra #30 red wire powered from the fuse box. The #30 has constant 12v which is what allows the dimmer relay to work while everything is OFF, even the ignition. Just make sure the red wire gauge is sufficient to power both headlights. 12AWG wiring would be good.

baz76 wrote:
I was changing the column bearing on my bug yesterday and noticed someone replaced the turn signal switch in the past, there are 3 loose wires coming from the switch that don't join up to the wiring harness.

Many aftermarket turn signal switches are designed so they support multiple models (US spec and Euro spec). Some Euro cars have lights that turn ON to illuminate the side of the road in a turn. This means a separate L and R side. These lights are powered thru the turn signal switch and need a separate set of 3 wires. For US cars these are just spare wires. They are typically grey wires with stripes.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight flashing high beam? Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
On a 1970 bug should the the operation of high/low beam lever flash the high beam when headlights are turned off? I was changing the column bearing on my bug yesterday and noticed someone replaced the turn signal switch in the past, there are 3 loose wires coming from the switch that don't join up to the wiring harness. Wondering if any of those wires would enable me to flash my headlights with a pull of the lever

Strictly talking European cars, every car I've had, Fords, Fiats etc, have had a spring return flasher stalk that lets you flash the headlamps no matter how any other switches are set. My European Beetle however only has the indicator stalk that switches between high and low beam, you need to pull it twice to flash once i.e. high beam on, then high beam off. This works regardless of the headlamps being on or off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: