Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towbar
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Towbar Reply with quote

Found this towbar, would it fit my 412? Tried to google it, but I can't find anything. I think it's been fitted to a 411, but I'm not shure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

Yes, it seems to be for a 411, because of the arrangement of the holes where it will be mounted to the car. One in the upper line, two in the lower line.
The 412 have two holes in the upper line and only on in the buttom line.

By the way, if you don‘t want it, I would be interested to buy it. Shipping is only within Europe, back the roots to Germany.

Marc

Last edited by MarcVoss on Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

It could also be for type 3. Same hole pattern. Measure the width of the mounting blades.

At least the rear bumper of 411 and 412 is a 311 part #.
311 707 303 and 311 707 303 A

The front type 3 mount width is also the same even though the 411/412 does not use a type 3 front bumper....though I have bolted one up before. It fits but is the wrong shape.

Cool part!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
It could also be for type 3. Same hole pattern. Measure the width of the mounting blades.

At least the rear bumper of 411 and 412 is a 311 part #.
311 707 303 and 311 707 303 A

Ray,

the Westfalia Typ# 321 036 is definitely a towbar for 411, because I got a copy of the manufacturer certificate.

Marc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

MarcVoss wrote:
Yes, it seems to be for a 411, because of the arrangement of the holes where it will be mounted to the car. One in the upper line, two in the lower line.
The 412 have two holes in the upper line and only on in the buttom line.

By the way, if you don‘t want it, I would be interested to buy it. Shipping is only within Europe, back the roots to Germany.

Marc

This is almost correct. In general yes.

However the 411 an 412 have the same bumper hole arrangement...or not.... depending on the year, bumper type and delivery destination.

The very first few months of the 412 had the same bumper bolt configuration as the 411.
And....The type 3 bracket has BOTH hole patterns plus. Typically five or six holes in the type 3. Two or three across the top and two at bottom and one rear at a diagonal.

Though the part # says it fits a 411....it may also be the same part number for a type 3. It WILL bolt right up to some years.

Oh...and found another discussion that also confirms its a 411 part #.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8089268
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

I guess I will try to make it fit, an extra mountinghole shouldn’t be a problem.
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

Please remeber the different height of the rear bumper. Therefore it is nearly impossible to fit a 412 towbar onto a 411, because of the rear lights. The difference is about 2..3 cm (1“). I tried to assemble a 412 towbar to my 411, it is necessary change a lot of things. But now I will stop this, because yesterday I found the same towbar on eBay for small money. Unfortunally I spend a lot of time, sandblasting etc.

Maybe it will be easier to assemble the 411 one to your car, but it will be in a lower position.
And - I think, there is nothing, where you can add the hole you need.
And another thing - do you have the additionally parts, otherwise, it cannot support against the weight of the trailer?

Marc
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

MarcVoss wrote:
Please remeber the different height of the rear bumper. Therefore it is nearly impossible to fit a 412 towbar onto a 411, because of the rear lights. The difference is about 2..3 cm (1“). I tried to assemble a 412 towbar to my 411, it is necessary change a lot of things. But now I will stop this, because yesterday I found the same towbar on eBay for small money. Unfortunally I spend a lot of time, sandblasting etc.

Maybe it will be easier to assemble the 411 one to your car, but it will be in a lower position.
And - I think, there is nothing, where you can add the hole you need.
And another thing - do you have the additionally parts, otherwise, it cannot support against the weight of the trailer?

Ah!...yes. That will probably be the difference issue if any.

But a warning as well...partly the same as my warning above. There are actually three different rear valance and bumper mounting issues with regard to taillights....spread across years....and not 100% the same depending on whether you are speaking of a variant or a sedan.

Of course I am not speaking of the 1974 cars at all that had (at least in the US) a totally different bumper system.

However the 411 used the same tail light and spacing on sedans for a short period of time in the early 412. The variants had more differences.

The 411 and 412 cars....seem to have a wide range of slight variation in a lot of parts from market to market with not a lot of documentation available to the public (at least not in the USA).

I guess the only word of warning that fits ....is buy at your risk and modify if needed.....but as rare as these parts would seem to be...I would buy one even if it needed modifying.

MarcVoss....thank you for your information by the way! Very Happy

Ray
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

This is my tow hitch I made it

hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

I guess the only word of warning that fits ....is buy at your risk and modify if needed.....but as rare as these parts would seem to be...I would buy one even if it needed modifying.

MarcVoss....thank you for your information by the way! Very Happy

Ray

Found it behind my garage, so it will be cheap....
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

MarcVoss wrote:

Marc

I will test-fit it, but if it's doesen't work it will be for sale.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

By the way....for my information...it looks from the first pictures in this thread....that this part bolts in place of the original bumper bracket...and then the bumper bolts to it...correct?

Thanks! Ray
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Towbar Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
By the way....for my information...it looks from the first pictures in this thread....that this part bolts in place of the original bumper bracket...and then the bumper bolts to it...correct?

Thanks! Ray

That's correct Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: