Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

Aside from the horrible paint job, there is a lot to like here.

It is not mine, no connection to me other than seeing it on Craigs this morning and thought it was worth documenting.
There are more pictures in the ad.

Too bad about that tragic mural...

Quote:
89’ Vanagon Syncro Audi V6 - $30000 (Colorado Springs)

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/colorado-springs-89-vanagon-syncro-audi/6937187840.html

For sale is my 1989 custom double locker Syncro with 73,500 original miles.
It’s a unique one-off build with lots of bells and whistles. Below is a list of features.

Audi 2.8 V6 AAH motor with a clean professional install.
AKH locking Syncro transaxle w/Audi bellhousing
S.C.A. hybrid poptop/hi-top w/upper bed and no tears in the tent.
Projektzwo console/cockpit
Recaro seats
Propex hs2211 aux heater
New 90 ah battery
944 cv’s all around
Rockford boots all around
Complete front end rebuild w/all new bushings
T3 sway bar
Old Manu Emu shocks w/Schwenk lift springs
5 Ronal 15” rims
New BFG KO2’s
Working fridge/stove
Great sound
Projektzwo rear bumper
Custom spacious interior
Plush carpet throughout
Custom mural on both sides
Will come with RMW swing away tire carrier installed with purchase.
Clear Colorado title

Leave me your contacts in the email if you want to know more or come take a look at it. Its an amazing machine and will take you everywhere/anywhere very comfortably. Make me an offer!

Thanks for looking!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

Is the "AKH" referring the a known quality transaxle rebuilder or the ring & pinion ratio?
Audi V6...930 CV's ... common sense is yelling at me he put a V6 in there and stomped on the gas pedal transferring the power through the cv's back into the transaxle....nope...you can keep it!

Jealous of the SCA Top though! Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

Sorry, all I can focus on here is the mural. Unfortunate.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

Interesting, hilarious, weird and intriguing all at once.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

That mural creates generates a significant discount.
Prob could ask $40k just painting the mural over with flat black.
Says "make me an offer".
73,000 miles, thats a young Syncro but the tranny is probably deep-sixed by now.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2274754

That one caught my eye right here in the classified.
Been some love put in this, nice motor, notice the steering wheel?

Every time I see one of those tops, I want one, and then I remember I can't fit it in my garage.
The mural, ya not a fan, makes me think of every thread I read when someone ask an opinion, and the reply is "it's your van, do what you want, don't worry about resale"
Unfortunately, with the price of Syncro transmissions, I think the original motor is what should remain mated to those vehicles.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

Maybe I don't quite understand the concern about the engine and trans combo? Maybe it's that he already abused it and it's on a timer for a rebuild..?

That engine was 180hp brand new I think- can a Syncro not handle a little extra power? See them all day with Bostig, Zetec, Subaru swaps...that V6 is anything but powerful- isn't the AAH a 12V ?
Other than the mural..that looks like a well done driver with that bellhousing modification you could do ALOT down the road. Holy crap though...that thing looks pretty capable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
Maybe I don't quite understand the concern about the engine and trans combo? Maybe it's that he already abused it and it's on a timer for a rebuild..?

That engine was 180hp brand new I think- can a Syncro not handle a little extra power? See them all day with Bostig, Zetec, Subaru swaps...that V6 is anything but powerful- isn't the AAH a 12V ?
Other than the mural..that looks like a well done driver with that bellhousing modification you could do ALOT down the road. Holy crap though...that thing looks pretty capable.

The trans was built for 80-90 hp, a V6 can destroy a Syncro trans easily. Beautiful thing is, the trans is an “OEM build”. Hopefully.

.....Not a mish-mash of 200-300k used parts that ran in polluted oil for tens of thousands of miles. Of course that V6 could have already destroyed that beautiful OEM trans and NOW it has the mishmash rebuild (and quick sale).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

I still have an AAH powered Quattro; it just turned over 200k. It's a sturdy engine, but the performance is pretty bland. It needs to be wound up the RPM range in order to produce any appreciable torque, so I don't expect it to be any more destructive than all the other popular off-brand choices out there. I strongly considered swapping one in my van since I had good donor vehicle at the time, but discussions about other six cylinder gasser's lousy fuel mileage figures in these vans soured me on the idea. That block is now garden art in my front yard.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

If it was done to a higher standard...and there was say - a 3 headed wolf, some cleavage and little more space - I'd be down.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
If it was done to a higher standard...and there was say - a 3 headed wolf, some cleavage and little more space - I'd be down.

Sadly, there are no 3 headed wolves in the mural, but there IS a little bit of cleavage on the valkyrie wielding the sword threateningly at the Ewoks in the background. (If that's what they are, I can't tell)
gonna see life my way

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

levi wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:

Sadly, there are no 3 headed wolves in the mural, but there IS a little bit of cleavage on the valkyrie wielding the sword threateningly at the Ewoks in the background. (If that's what they are, I can't tell)

Speaking of...this console is the tits

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

I'm certain the advertiser is like sorry y'all aren't awesome enough for the mural .

I do like the cockpit rorygirl- if the rest of the build is that good...paint's paint you can paint over it.
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

I've been inside the van and inspected the engine bay first hand. The engine conversion looks as factory as can be, super impressive. The conversion was done in Austria or Germany by what what looks like a talented engineer with a full machine shop. The interior is stunning, and has all the bells and whistles most newbies clammer for...AC cruise, power windows, etc. And Propex, recaros and on and on. Oh, then there's that roof. So cool. It's a unicorn van that seems like a flat out steal at $30K to me. So you have to throw say $10K at paint and body? No big deal. But the syncro market is strange right now. I just know I couldn't build that van for $30K.
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

Yes, I'll agree there's an awful lot to like here.

Although I couldn't personally live without easy driver-to-rear access, that's an amazing looking console concept, the whole cockpit looks great.

And that top is one of my absolute favorites, that and the dehler-profi.
gonna see life my way

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

Wheres the Syncro underbars?

levi wrote:
Although I couldn't personally live without easy driver-to-rear access.

Agreed.
That cockpit is not Vanagon.
My personal preference is OEM.....until I myself decide to change it, only then does it appeal.

Lots of good stuff there.

But anyway that Syncro looks like a “deal” at 30k, and it says to make an offer.

Now......its a euro Vanagon, right?
And the odometer says 73,xxx miles, right?
Possible odometer discrepancy .

I’d be looking at all the telltale wear areas: door locks, latches, pedals.
Shifting tight?
General wear & tear?
Front outer CV booties still OEM? Syncro front end all good for 225k miles. Is it all original?

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

I remember that van from when it was for sale in Europe. It gave me nightmares back then too.
It made the great wall of shame on page 71 last year
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

Just reposting the truth...

mikemtnbike wrote:
...y'all aren't awesome enough for the mural .

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

A very wise Vanagon shop owner told me it's the nicest, best-sorted Vanagon he's ever seen in person. The owner is selling because he bought a monster LT 4x4 camper.

If I hadn't already mind-melded with my current van, I would be all over this one. Timing...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting SCA hi-top/pop-top double locker Syncro w/ Audi V6 Reply with quote

Someone better grab this fast, it's appreciating.
Add originally was $40k, now it's $97K
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: