Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle Shaft Clearance With Carburettor Body
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Throttle Shaft Clearance With Carburettor Body Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me what the standard throttle shaft clearance is of a standard Solex 28 PICT carburettor. I would like to measure the deflection on a Solex 28 PICT to see whether it is within specification.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Shaft Clearance With Carburettor Body Reply with quote

There is no such specification, that has been publicly disclosed.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Shaft Clearance With Carburettor Body Reply with quote

Yeah, I've never seen a spec on this, I'm thinking it's because VW never issued instructions on fixing it. Fixes were all done in the aftermarket.

I've always just grabbed the throttle arm and tried to rock the throttle shaft back and forth, both at idle and mid-throttle, as the play can vary a little between the two.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Shaft Clearance With Carburettor Body Reply with quote

The reason I ask is because I have two NOS Solex 28 PICT carburettors which I believe have excessive throttle shaft clearances (just by feel). Other Solex 28 and Solex 30 carburettors seem to have much tigher tolerances.

I don't believe these carburettors would have been machined incorrectly by the manufacturer.

The modification state numbers are:
721 1779
722 2985

What is unusual about these carburettors is the old tags which were attached to them. They are made of cardboard covered metal with writing in German (I think).

I believe it translates to:
Meister - master
fette seite - fat side
magre seite - lean side
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Shaft Clearance With Carburettor Body Reply with quote

Modification State Numbers start with VW. 28PICT don't have them, that didn't start until 28PICT-1, I think you are seeing some form of serial number.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: