Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Not a great way to wake up at 4:00am this morning to find a vehicle in your yard and your beloved Syncro smashed to bits.

Apparently the driver fell asleep at the wheel on her way to work and thread the needle between a telephone pole and an iron fence and t-boned the driver's side of my van. I'm an ER nurse and have seen the traumas a MVA can generate but fortunately the air bags deployed and she walked away from a nasty crash. I live in the van and work as a travel ER nurse and was leaving on assignment on Wednesday.. well, not any more.

So I'm guessing my insurance company is going to want to write it off but I'm thinking I'd be better off parting out the Syncro drive train, decoupler and engine since these are untouched. Has anyone any experience in this situation? I don't want them to tow it away before I have a chance to come up with a game plan.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Get maximum settlement from insurance and then purchase it back. If they tell you you can't buy it back, pull the parts off anyway. (Engine, transmission, etc. ) Let them take the shell.
Worse case, stick a defunct engine in.

Then sue the driver for the lost value you did not receive from your insurance company.

If you can afford it, go find another van to live in. And wait for the insurance money to come in.

Sorry this happened and good luck.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

So Sorry. Many insurance companies with a total will let you keep the vehicle for a discounted payoff. You’d need to see what the difference is to help decide.

To part it out you will need the space to store parts, time to remove the parts, and time to deal with shipping parts. That said, I’m sure someone would swoop in and buy the entire van.

My first goal would be to have the insurance company replace my van with a comparable one. Insist they make you whole again.

Disclaimer: I have never been through this myself and have no affiliation with any insurance company. In my years I have seen customers go through this and have bought 3 totaled vehicles from owners when they elected to keep the vehicle and have been paid by their insurance company. All 3 came with intact VIN and title.

Again, so sorry.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Sorry this happened. Good luck with it.

You weren't in the Syncro when it happened were you?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Thanks all for the well wishes and advice.

No Steve, fortunately it was empty at the time.

A claim has been submitted so now I'm just waiting for responses.

Luckily the Renogy Solar Panel Suitcase, all Solar/Aux batter components and a 4 day old ARB 50qt Fridge/Freezer survived the impact.

I guess now its time to find a solid body and start over.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbcnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Ouch. Glad you weren't sleeping in it!
Hopefully you can get what you need out of it either way.
Chris
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity have you measured the distance from the center of the front axle to the rear axle?

Wondering about the deformation to the chassis.

alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

As MarkWard stated, tell them you want it replaced with a comparable van. The last time i delt with a totaled vehicle they just wanted to pay me off. I said im not interested in the money but want a comparable replacement. It forces them to search for one and realize what its really worth. I ended up with a check that more than covered a replacement and got to keep the wrecked car.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Oh Bummer...So sorry Matt, I know you have spent a lot of time on this van. Let's chat, I might have a replacement shell for you. I also probably could find time to get things swapped over pretty quick.

Mike
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Definitely have them total it then buy the van back if you can. For reference, my 2wd van got totaled out at $16,500 and I bought it back for around $1500. I more than made my money back in parting it out and salvaging the spare parts I wanted to keep. You do need a place to dismantle it though, probably not on the street.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

After going through a number of these, here's what I've learned.

1. If you have any alternatives, don't let them tow it.
Especially anyplace where you will be charged storage fees. Preferably, keep it in your possession, they will come to you to inspect the damage.

2. The buy-back price is 10% of the payoff.

3. Demand that her Insurance Company (IC) get you a rental car.
This will pressure her IC to not drag their feet on the settlement process.

4. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC.
The IC for the kid who totaled my audi convertible offered me $1500. My IC correctly assessed it at 2x that. I took my IC's settlement and let the two ICs fight it out.

5. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC.
They will look for comparable vehicles in the region and pick the worse ones. Demand to see their list of comparables. I researched and contacted some of their comparables and discovered they were using parts cars and non-runners off craigslist to generate their numbers. Come up with your own list of comparable Syncro values.

6. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC.
They will generate a comparable number, then come out, inspect the Syncro and lower the offer substantially based on any flaw they find on your Syncro that's less than perfect such as rock-chips, worn seat/carpet, oil on the ground, dents etc. Don't allow this as it double penalizes you because your Syncro's current As-Is condition is already factored into the average of the comparable prices.

7. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC.
Once their IC offers you their low-ball settlement offer, that starts the clock for you to lose the rental car in a day or so, even if the offer is ridiculously unrealistically low. No matter how nice they seem, the other persons IC and their inspectors have your worst interests at heart.

8. You will take an unfair loss on this.
You won't be compensated for your lost time or the fact that you are now being forced to unwillingly sell your Syncro. Both of these have a real value that you won't be able to recover from the other driver.

9. Come have a beer with us at the Reno Bus Pilots cookout on Friday afternoon at 4:30 at Mayberry Park in Reno. I definitely feel your pain.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Definitely keep the van in your posession if you can. Nothing will come up missing or damaged and the insurance company processes the claim faster in my experience.
If they don't provide you with a rental car, prior to closing everything out demand loss of use. That compensation helps to ease the pain of having to deal with all of the insurance BS a bit and it is owded to you.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Make sure you use thesamba classifieds as a reference if the insurance companies low ball you.

dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

I agree! Ask the insurance company for their comparable classified ads used to place a value on your Syncro. If their comparable vehicles are not real Vanagons you can purchase today, educate them with a handful of real classified ads you select on the Samba.

I went through a similar situation. Initial insurance offer was $8k but after I sent real classified ads, the insurance agreed to pay me a considerable amount more.

You can also negotiate on the buy back price of the damaged vehicle. To them it's really scrap metal. Whatever price they offer as a buy back amount, counter that price with something lower and they will probably go for it. In my case they wanted $2500 to buy back a full camper that was totaled. I said I'd give them $1200 because the parts I wanted weren't worth $2500 and they agreed.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Wow, did the impact break off the passenger side power mirror?
Geesh.
Sad to see this, but very glad to hear you have coverage.

Sounds like opportunities are opening up for you, that IS awesome.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

Thank you all for the condolences and education.

I have an appointment with her IC tomorrow afternoon and you've all given me some good ammo to bring to the fight.

I was able to retain the van on the property because the firemen responding to the call were fans of the van and told the tow truck guy that it wasn't leaking any fluids so shouldn't be a problem to let it sit. He actually straightened it up in the driveway for me.

I'm pushing for Loss of Use for a rental car and for a comparable vehicle rather than a buy out.

Mike- thank you so much for the kind offer. I'm currently in Pennsylvania and just finished building a two car garage with loft for my Dad (he's always wanted one and it was a fun father/son project) so at least I have a place to store parts if needed.
Sanchius- Rain check on that beer please.
Levi- Yes. The police estimated she hit the van broad side at around 60mph. It slammed into the concrete side porch stairs, struck the house and then came back down on the front of her Hyundai Sonata. Tow truck had a heck of a time separating them.

I'll let you know how it goes.

WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

I know E1 recently had an accident in their van and maybe he will comment on on his process of taking off the special bits from the totaled van and transplanting. I wish you the best I too am a RN although just starting out, I wish you the best!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:

After going through a number of these, here's what I've learned.

4. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC.

5. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC.

6. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC.

7. Don't expect a fair value assessment from her IC.

OP, I don’t have a lot of experience with something like this but I’ve heard that her insurance company may not be all in on compensating your fairly. Very Happy

Sounds like a calamity. Glad you weren’t sleeping in it at the time. Hope your dad enjoys the garage! Has he visited GarageJournal.com?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

I don’t know about the laws in PA but Oregon has an independent appraisal clause where you and the insurance Company hire appraisers and they do the negotiation. When I rolled my syncro adventurewagen 11 years ago, they offered me $6000 for it and we settled for over $22000 after I invoked the independent appraisal route. I also bought it back for the 10% that others have mentioned. You might give GoWesty a call. They have helped with the appraisal process in the past and they were a HUGE help with mine.

Good luck and glad you weren’t in it!
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro smashed. Insurance or Part Out? Reply with quote

As just mentioned, you might reach out to Go Westy to get an appraisal the IC will trust. My friend was hit head on in his 89 syncro westy totaled the van and the insurance battle ensued. Eventually he shipped it to Go Westy and leveraged that appraisal. Think he got between 30k-40k in the end. And that was about ten years ago or so. He had to let GW keep the van for parts, but it worked out in the end.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: