Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reflective heat tape under engine tins
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reflective heat tape under engine tins Reply with quote

Has anyone added the gold heat tape that you can get from auto parts stores underneath the engine tins where the header/exhaust is? Ive used it before with good results to protect a fuel tank from muffler heat but this will be much hotter than that. Link is below. Im thinking about adding it to mine since the extractor header is getting the tins extremely hot and I feel like that could be contributing to my hot start(fuel boiling) problems. I know my EMPI EPC manifolds are probably the main culprit but the CB ones wont be here until the weekend. Plus, i dont see how it would negatively effect anything to have this tape under the tins. If anyone is interested, I will take readings of engine bay temps with and without it, just for general information. Let me know your experiences.

https://designengineering.com/reflect-a-gold-heat-reflective-sheet/
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective heat tape under engine tins Reply with quote

My take on that is the German engineers may have tried that and found that black tin works fine.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective heat tape under engine tins Reply with quote

Get a section of 2" exhaust pipe, cut it in half & make a heat shield to attach to the top of the header pipe between the pipe & the head. The header pipe is not only heating up the head, but it is also heating up the pushrod tubes which will also heat up the oil returning to the engine. Reflective tape may make the push rod tubes even hotter.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective heat tape under engine tins Reply with quote

I bent some aluminum sheet metal, perhaps .03 inch thick to fit between the header pipe and the head/cylinder areas as a heat shield. They attached to modified sled tin to do the job.
With header pipes in place of stock heat exchanger boxes, you need to fabricate some sheet metal heat shielding to do the job that the exchanger boxes did, ie keeping metal stand off between the header and the engine.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective heat tape under engine tins Reply with quote

Thanks for the input!

To be clear, im running heater boxes and an extractor style header. My whole exhaust is ceramic coated as well. I also have the large diameter aluminum pushrod tubes from SCAT. They are a similar color to this tape. Just trying to knock down the engine bay temps as much as possible without running a standoff. I figured someone on here would have at least tried this at some point as I have used it on builds, as well as some of my car buddies. Especially in turbo applications. I want to run an experiment with different configurations and record temperatures at different spots in the bay and on the underside of the engine. Ill update once i begin the experiment. Any input on specific places to measure temp would be appreciated. Ill be measuring with a IR gun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: