Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

One of the things that wasn't on the to do list was a license plate light. There isn't a lot of room at the top. There is probably enough room at the bottom but I wanted a clean look. Another huge accomplishment....the car is now registered and road legal.

They make these cool bolt lights.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

I like that!

It would be interesting to see a picture in the dark of that car next to something late model factory with the lights on for comparison of effectiveness.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

I've been working a lot of hours on the Bounty Hunter. Made some really good progress. For starters I yanked out the old wiring and put in a Rebel harness. So far everything works except the fuel gauge. Once I verify it all works then it will all get wrapped and straightened out a bit more.

This hole isn't where the wires exit but is the access point where the tube runs to the back of the car.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

The buggy is fighting me the whole way. Hooked the headlight switch up and no lights came on. Took the switch apart and everything had a coating or glaze on it. Cleaned it up and it now works. The toggle switches and warning lights were the same so I just replaced them.

I eliminated the speedo cable and went with a set of Classic Instruments gauges. The speedo is GPS driven with a little black receiver under the dash. Hooked it up and after about 4 minutes it had signal. It has constant 12v so once it has signal it will hold it (no need to wait again). The speedo also has a tach.

With the 3 wire turn signal switch a trailer 3 to 2 wire converter was needed so the brake and turn signals would work with the single bulb tail light set up that I have. Just behind that is the GPS box. If you look up past that at the fuel filler tube you can see I removed the filler. The filler hose wasn't adjusted right so I was getting fumes in the buggy. I think I'll be able to push the tube up a bit more so it seals against the filler on the top side and the tank side.

I'd like to take the hood off to replace my fuel tank and sender but when the buggy was painted the hood was left in place. The only way to get them apart would be by cutting in to the paint and making a mess. I may eventually do it because there isn't room to swap out the fuel sender and that bugs me. I did manage to get the tank clean. Filled it with Evapo-rust and let it soak for a week. Drained it and all the rust was gone.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

dlyle wrote:
I'd like to take the hood off to replace my fuel tank and sender but when the buggy was painted the hood was left in place. The only way to get them apart would be by cutting in to the paint and making a mess. I may eventually do it because there isn't room to swap out the fuel sender and that bugs me. I did manage to get the tank clean. Filled it with Evapo-rust and let it soak for a week. Drained it and all the rust was gone.

The VW reserve tap is available new and it fits in the later tanks. In my first buggy I used that, with an original reserve tap handle from the wrecker, instead of a fuel gauge. In my case it was because the builder created a fuel filler that bolted to the original fuel gauge hole -- sender not possible.
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

Wow, I knew nothing about reserve taps but that sounds like a great stop gap solution. Will call WW on Monday.
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

After 3 years the motor is in the car and running. Just need to figure out the clutch so I can drive it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ilmMZkIIb_8?feature=share
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

Congratulations. Sounds and looks great!
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
Congratulations. Sounds and looks great!

Thanks. It's been a long road...too long. I should have spent more time on it during the covid lockdown.
SteveM.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

dlyle wrote:
After 3 years the motor is in the car and running. Just need to figure out the clutch so I can drive it.

Sounds good! What is the issue with the clutch?
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

SteveM. wrote:
dlyle wrote:

Sounds good! What is the issue with the clutch?

It's very difficult to push on the pedal. I've got the pictures and details on another thread. Basically I'm using the Transvair setup but they way it's designed seems odd to me. Not much of a mechanical advantage to the lever system they have. I'm afraid I'm going to break a pedal pushing the clutch in. None of the instructions out there have a good picture of this lever arm. The one other Transvair I saw had the cable attached right to the clutch rod.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...338e808daa

The lever pivots on that bottom bolt. Seems like it may work better if I just attach the cable right to the clutch rod.

This is another way they do it with the clutch cable clamp method. This is also going through the midpoint of the lever arm.....seems very hard to get good leverage that way.

dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

I fiddled with the clutch a bit and started to run out of reasons to not give it a try and drive it. I modified the clutch cable so it hooks directly to the clutch rod....no more pivot arm. It needs a clutch return spring but it works.

This is a video of the first drive. I need to adjust the carbs as it may be idling on just one carb. Runs ok when cold and the choke is on then seems like it looses some idle speed once it's warmed up. One side of the motor is about 75 degress hotter and that seems to usually point to it not idling on both carbs.

https://youtu.be/bBVaOWy1Upo

it's funny because those front tires are so low on air I can squeeze them and they squish in my hands. Hardly any weight on the front end so they never look flat. The car seems to drive ok. Once tuned it will be fast. With the 31" tires you can go pretty fast in second gear.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

dlyle wrote:
... Hardly any weight on the front end ...

And with that big powerful engine cantilever'd out the back end; Wheelies?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
dlyle wrote:
... Hardly any weight on the front end ...

And with that big powerful engine cantilever'd out the back end; Wheelies?

I think so. When I jack up the car at the back the front wheels come off the ground too. The center seems to be right near the rear torsion housing. That was with an empty tank so hopefully the front will stay down with a few gallons in it.
dlyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bounty Hunter dune buggy build thread Reply with quote

Finally did some work on the hardtop.

This is how it started. It had an ugly hinge right in the middle.

Off to Miguel Diaz for final finishing. He did all the work...not me.

Now good as new and the same color as the interior. I don't have a picture yet but the underside looks just as nice with no visible seams or repairs.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: