Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper date stamps
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

I bought a rear bumper for my 67 from the classifieds section here that was advertised as “original date stamped” bumper. The photos in the ad showed a “2 VW 7” stamp and it has the correct slanted overriders for a 67.

The bumper had surface rust/grime on the inside when I bought it so we I couldn’t find the date stamp. The seller said he was unsure exactly where the date stamp was, but that it just needed to be wire wheeled and cleaned.

Got the bumper home and wire wheeled it, but still have not been able to find the date stamp. I’m hoping I didn’t get ripped off, so I’m asking if anyone has any suggestions on locating it. The wire wheel I used is old and worn out and it’s being used on a cordless drill so I highly doubt I could have wire wheeled the stamp off.

I’m wondering if I got a repop bumper sold as an “original date stamped” bumper. Thanks for any suggestions
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

I'm not sure on 1967 Beetles but here's another thread about the date stamps.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=718452

On Type 3 bumpers I have seen the stamp on the bottom side of the bumper as mounted, not the backside.

From the thread above
baz76 wrote:
There should be a vw and some numbers stamped in the centre of the bottom of the bumpers.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

Thanks Everett, I checked the center part on the inside of the blade without any luck. I expected to find it there, and I’ve looked hard in case it was a very faint stamp but haven’t been able to find it.

The bumper feels heavier and more solid than the repop I currently have and does not have the black rubber grommets that I immediately look for on the cheaper repops.

I’ve posted some photos for reference. It appears original to me, but can’t find the date stamp that the seller advertised and showed a photo of. It’s a little frustrating considering it was advertised as date stamped and now it can’t be located.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

The date stamp 'should' be visible in the area shown in photo #4 ...between the overider inner bolts. I have several OE rear bumpers (have been collecting them, trying to get enough decent components to build a single complete decent bumpers) and the date stamp IS visible on them, but only partially at best. I think the date-stamper at the bumper factory need re-calibrating for the amount of pressure it used. It was likely a VW contracted 'jobber' bumper plant that wasn't up to the usual VW quality control standards.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

Similar to Digger, the date stamp on my OEM bumpers is very faint and in the bottom center. The bumpers measure 2.6mm in thickness.
ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

Yea, I’m still having a hard time finding the date stamp in that area on the blade. I’ve looked like crazy with no luck.

I also removed the towel bar and did not find a stamp near the threaded insert like I’ve seen before. The seller told me that not all original towel bars were stamped, is this true?

I also haven’t seen reproduction towel bars that are slanted down correctly for 67’s. Did anyone ever make them as reproductions? I’m just trying to see if this bumper is original
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

this from a NOS bumper in my collection. Both front and rears have the stamp on the backside of the bumper on the lower face. Paint and poor stamping can obscure it. The date stamp on this one is 1VW1

ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

I’ve looked long and hard for it, and at all different angles but can’t see it. The hint I’m hung up on is that the ad had a picture with it “2 VW 7” and now I can’t find it? I can’t imagine that from when he took the picture for the ad to when I bought it, it disappeared or was covered. The seller also can’t find the picture now and the ad was deleted
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

My original 1967 bumpers had the VW logo that was faint but no numbers that I could see. I had them rechromed which cleaned them very well. I could see the VW logo clearer but still no numbers.

The pictures of your bumpers show they are excellent. They are certainly not cheap copies.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

Yea, they’re in great shape and feel like good quality. I have a set of cheap copies with the black grommets and these are night and day difference in quality.

I was told that the inside of the over riders were something that would differentiate OG from repop. I’ve attached some photos and some of the bolts used to see if any experts can verify these parts are OG.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

ty151 wrote:
I’ve looked long and hard for it, and at all different angles but can’t see it. The hint I’m hung up on is that the ad had a picture with it “2 VW 7” and now I can’t find it? I can’t imagine that from when he took the picture for the ad to when I bought it, it disappeared or was covered. The seller also can’t find the picture now and the ad was deleted

PM me with the ad link or ad # and I can look it up for you and give you the photos, if you want them.

Is it this ad?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2276087

Here's the pics from the ad

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

Yes, that’s it. Thank you!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

If it shows up that well in a photograph, it really shouldn't be hard to find. Try shining a bright flashlight on the area.
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

Strange that it is not sitting on the truck bed cover only in the last picture Rolling Eyes
ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
If it shows up that well in a photograph, it really shouldn't be hard to find. Try shining a bright flashlight on the area.

That’s my concern too, I was super careful with wire wheeling it and kept checking for it along the way but it was never visible
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

I looked at your photo of the inside of the bumper and the one showing the stamp. I realize the stamp photo is very close up, but the edge of the bumper in that picture does not look as clean as yours from further out. Does yours have the pitting shown in the stamp picture?
ty151
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

It had some pitting, but the picture I posted is after I cleaned it up a bit while looking for the stamp. As I mentioned, I did a little at a time and then checked for the stamp. I highly doubt I could have completely wire wheeled the stamp off based on how visible it was in the ad photo
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

Maybe take some close up photos the bumper where the stamp should be and post them here for comparison. Maybe someone with really good eyes will spot it. Try using a flash.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

I'm playing forensic scientist here, but it looks like a pretty distinctive pit mark above and to the left of the 7. Larger than the other pit marks. Do you see that on yours? You may need a magnifying glass!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper date stamps Reply with quote

The seller simply got some photos mixed up.
Look closely at picture #3------there is another bumper visible there inside the pickup box that appears a bit rustier.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: