Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

You know what is funny? I had the Klassicfab heater channels in the cart. Then I added shipping into the equation and was shocked. Figured I would grab a set of WW channels and cut and paste in the correct vents and remove and install the rounded section at the late model stamping for the vent. After getting them, I am now, reconsidering. I hate hind sight! Wanted to start in on the channels this coming weekend. Oh well. Need to work on the 70 anyways. It is missing really badly!

Looks like I am going to get the green ones and push that start date!

Thanks for the feedback and the support. Having a group of connoisseurs, reading my progress, makes it imperative to do a great job!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

That's a really good point about Ultramaroon possibly being a special order color. There's probably something to that theory. It would be interesting to know how many people have received birth certificates with the "color not specified".
I decided that when I start restoring my 55', I'm going to take lots of photos of what's left of the Ultramaroon paint. Other than that, there's really no proof of it being such a cool original color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

My '54 BC says "color not specified." (Based on surviving interior panels it was strato silver.) Do any '54 BCs list the actual color info?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Figured I would grab a set of WW channels and cut and paste in the correct vents and remove and install the rounded section at the late model stamping for the vent.

A few years back before KF was available for type 1 the closest to original heater channels were the 'econo' versions. You still had to move the heater outlet (there was a ghost forward stamping) but the overall shape was similar to early ovals. No tube inside like later channels too.

https://socalautoparts.com/product/heater-channel-bug-right-without-heat-duct/

As always the level of 'correctness' is determined by the size of the check book or the level of skill you have to work with

edit: I cannot seem to find a place that still has these econo channels in stock, maybe no longer in production.

Last edited by AlteWagen on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Do any '54 BCs list the actual color info?

That is a good point, now I really want to see the BC for this car!

So far I have only seen one BC that lists a special order color, all SK cars in original paint that Ive seen show 'color not specified' on the BC. If the owner wants a correction the museum would usually correct a BC with some evidence.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Hey Janerick3, the car has a similar antenna attached to the passenger side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The "h" logo identifies this as a German Hirschmann antenna. It looks very similar to the early 1960s VoA-sourced accessory. I have never seen one of these before, so I don't know if this was the replacement for the cowl-mount antenna found on pre-Oct '52 split window bugs. It is unique enough to "restore" with one of those universal replacement masts that are held in place w/set screws, assuming you can still find them.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Hey Janerick3, the car has a similar antenna attached to the passenger side.

The "h" logo identifies this as a German Hirschmann antenna. It looks very similar to the early 1960s VoA-sourced accessory. I have never seen one of these before, so I don't know if this was the replacement for the cowl-mount antenna found on pre-Oct '52 split window bugs. It is unique enough to "restore" with one of those universal replacement masts that are held in place w/set screws, assuming you can still find them.

Thank you for the information. I will try and restore, as best as I can. We will see what happens!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Update time! Still going out into the garage to remove the body from the pan. I did manage to get most of the front trunk area stripped down, bagged and tagged!

I will drop the motor today and start in on the body removal. Wish me luck, as I am certain the bolts are well rusted to the heater channels!

And on that note. Just ordered the Klassic Fab heater channels! $777.00 Damn! I still need to return the WW ones.

Out to the garage I go!!!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I spent the day playing in the garage. I really should have worked on the 70 Bug, but the 54 was calling me!

So, decided to get the hood welded up and beat out a few dents.

Here is my starting point. Crack at the prop area and one at the very bottom.

I wire wheeled the area down to the steel, because welding paint is hard to do, and STINKS!

Started with just a few tacks at the best looking portion as I twisted the hood to get the crack into alignment.

Popped 3 tacks in place and blew compressed air at it. We do not want any warping or sinking! With those 3 tacks in place I worked the panel with my hammer and dolly.. Nursing it back into shape and alignment. Then a few more tacks, more hammering, more tacks and more air.

Finished the weld all the way down the side. There is a large rusted area on the return fold. That is a repair for the future. Right now, I just want to keep it from tearing anymore.

So, onto grinding those tacks down.

Then a few more filler tacks, where a few pin holes showed up. Ground all that down and primed it.

It was the lower portions turn.

Hammer and dollied it just a little bit. Then brushed the paint off of the area.

Welded it up with a few dozen tack welds and ground it all down. Nice and pretty!

That ought to keep it from tearing!

I also adjusted the retaining bolts to check the fit. Nuts on the money!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

With the hood together and I am not fearing it folding in half, I decided to do the finish bodywork to those spots down the road. Just was not into it today. Feeling a little bit over whelmed. So, when I feel that overwhelmed feeling, finding it’s way inside, causing the doubt and regret to start. I remember back to being little, working for my Granddaddy. He would say, “Son. We do not need to finish it today. But we must get something completed. Let’s break it down into small pieces.” We would break the job down, together. We each choose a piece and went to complete it. We would return for another small piece, until none were left to take! Awesome strategy!

So, moving onto another small piece.
The driver’s side roll up window would not roll up. Heck, I was unsure if there was glass in the door. So, I began with spraying some WD40 into the roll up handle area. Then working the regulator. Not forcing it, just pushing it this way, then back that way. Spray some stuff. Move it again, so on and so on, till the glass fills the emptiness within the frame.

Waaa Laaa!!!!!

Best part is it is original glass!

Downside is, I cannot get the handles off of the mechanisms. I was able to push the collars back far enough to knock the roll pins out, but the handles did not even wiggle!

Soaked them down with WD40. Fingers crossed! Anyone have a trick? I tried pulling on them while tapping with a hammer - no movement!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Then the tail lights were the next item, followed by the rear fenders.

Some hack must of tried, at some past point, to tighten or loosen the screw that retains the tail lights. Why do people feel that they should leave their mark upon fasteners? If you cannot get it to move, with break it or give up. Do not ruin a perfectly good screw and leave that for the next guy. Have some common decency!

With that preface, I present the tail light with booger’s up retaining screw.

I got that one out, but broke the other side.

I will finish this chapter tomorrow. I just remembered it is Sunday not Saturday! Gotta work tomorrow morning!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1933710.jpg
Before you invest much more time in this hood repair,(maybe you don't really care anyways).. this looks like a late '50s trunk lid (1958-1961) with the extra support brackets at the hinge mounts, and the white underside..so I'm guessing a replacement 4 pin..(I'm in the same boat with my '56).. anyone else agree? should have the witch-hat in this era too of Oval beetles...Also you mentioned it probably had a collision at the front.. same thing happened to mine, hood replaced and windshield..
Good luck man! Don't lose steam
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

fes wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1933710.jpg
Before you invest much more time in this hood repair,(maybe you don't really care anyways).. this looks like a late '50s trunk lid (1958-1961) with the extra support brackets at the hinge mounts, and the white underside..so I'm guessing a replacement 4 pin..(I'm in the same boat with my '56).. anyone else agree? should have the witch-hat in this era too of Oval beetles...Also you mentioned it probably had a collision at the front.. same thing happened to mine, hood replaced and windshield..
Good luck man! Don't lose steam

Thanks for looking in on me. You know, I have been so wrapped up in the excitement of having another Bug and it being my second Oval, that I have forgotten to open my eyes. Damn it! Hate when that happens! I did not even notice the white underbelly! Do you believe that! Well, I did but just have not put a lot of energy into thinking about it.

Yeah, it definitely got bumped in the front! I have also found the two rear fenders to be another cars and the rear apron, while still a H, is another cars. And the asshole that welded it on, must have just purchased a 110v 20 amp flux core welder and it was his first weld! Now, it is my job to make it right! Oh boy!

Won’t loose any steam! But I may run out of money and wifeys support - nah, might get some flak. I can live through that. Not the first go around for me in regards to spending money on a Bug!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Anyone got advise on how to remove the inner door handle and window crank handle. I punched the roll pins out but cannot get the damn things off. They have been soaking in PB blaster for 3 days. I have lightly tapped on them with a dead blow mallet, hoping to impart some shock to whatever is holding them in place. I am trying to not damage any of the parts but maybe that is naive.

So, any tricks or just use a bigger hammer and try and buy good replacement parts?

Thanks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Anyone got advise on how to remove the inner door handle and window crank handle. I punched the roll pins out but cannot get the damn things off. They have been soaking in PB blaster for 3 days. I have lightly tapped on them with a dead blow mallet, hoping to impart some shock to whatever is holding them in place. I am trying to not damage any of the parts but maybe that is naive.

So, any tricks or just use a bigger hammer and try and buy good replacement parts?

Thanks!

I've used PB Blaster for years with good results but it has it's limits. I've recently found Knock'er Loose and it works better. I had an engine stuck that I couldn't get PB to do anything with but 2 days with this stuff and it's now free.
Another awesome product is Kroil.

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Kroil is badass...but pricey. When I was in the Military, a vendor came into our shop to sell us on Kroil. We put 2 drops on a the end of a 7/8" plow bolt. He said that it would travel "UP" the threads. I thought ....yeah sure it will. We stashed the bolt (head down) in the back of the shop so nobody would mess with it, and he said that he'd return the next day, with the agreement that if it traveled up the threads, we'd purchase a case. Next day...sure enough, it did. We used it exclusively after that on all of our snow and heavy equipment.
I just can't stomach the 24 or so bucks a can. But this just might be what you need. I have a cherry set of ribbed door handles and black escutcheons that I tried for months to try to separate from the mechanisms without any success (heat included). I soaked then again...and shelf'd them. Let us know if you're successful!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF.. in a small squirt oil can,it's worked great for me..certainly put to the test on my old turd '56
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies!!!! I will try it all in the order that it is written in! I will let you guys know when the handles finally let go. I may try some heat first. What do I have to loose? I guessing a little heat a maybe a tap or two with a brass hammer and it might give! If not, onto the list of penetrating liquids!

On a big plus side!!!! Got my channels from ClassicFab! WAYYYY better looking and way heavier! Guessing they are using a little thicker gauge steel.

Plus it came with the correct heater tube to the window defrost ports! Was not expecting that.

Maybe now I will get the body off of the pan!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Well, today when i arrived at home, I had a large envelope sitting on the desk awaiting me to open it. It is the Birth Certificate from VW.

Here it is;

I am a bit confused, so maybe you guys already have the answers.

1.) 1955? But a manufacture date of 1954? I don’t get it.

2.) Convertible? It is definitely a hard top. What is meant by convertible? Do I need to graft a rag top into it!?!?! Yeah baby!

3.) As was suspect, “Finish” is “not deposited “.? Is that lingo for Ultra Maroon?

4.) M918?

5.) I guess it is a gray market car? Based off of “ Country of destination” being “Germany”?

Thank you in advance for the education I am about to be given! Really raised more questions for me than were answered. Odd, I was not anticipating that.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

1) Mistake?
2) Sounds like a mistake
3) I think it means Not Recorded for some reason
4) M918 is on the lists here, it's supposedly "With leatherette instead of cloth material"
5) I believe it means it was delivered to Germany originally. Is it a semaphore car?

Since 1 and 2 seems to be mistakes, I'm skeptical about the other stuff too....
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 84

Jump to: