Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Hey all!
I am usually on the 68 and up part of the site, but today I moved latterly to the Oval section. I am no stranger to Ovals. My first restoration was a 1955, which I purchased at the age of 14. Love Oval window Bugs!

Me in back of the Bug and my younger sister bugging the crap out of me.
It was my very first, body off restoration. Took me 4 years to complete! Sold it after Momma died from breast cancer, to afford a security deposit for my own apartment, at 19. Did not get my money out of the sale, but did get enough to buy a cheap car, put a security deposit down and have some breathing room while I started at a local VW independent garage in Chino, CA. It was called Dick Roy’s at that time. Good stuff!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, here I am, at 48, reliving my teenage years and regaining a car which I have regretted selling for 30 years!

Picked it up today for $4500.00. Had to get tires on the rims before I dragged it home, so another $400.00. But, I got me an Oval in the garage tonight!

Here are the starter photos. Looks like original color was Ultra Maroon.
Enjoy! I know I am!

Onto the interior, looks to be Red.

Horn button still a part of the car!

Looks like a stock radio and uncut dash!

Hella headlights!

Lighter. Not stock, right?

54 front seats. It has the rear back portion, but the bottom is MIA. Dammit!

Mouldings, levers and passenger ice pick! Found them on the passenger seat!

More tid bits,

Now the not so good. Looks to have been through some wet times. With the Washington plate hanging out in the interior, makes me wonder how long it sat for. Luggage shelf is shot.

Bottom portion of doors and quarter panels rusted through.

Interior at B pillar, behind semaphore location, rotted through.

It will sit for a few months in my garage, not getting any attention. I have to finish building a 1600 SP for the 70 and then install a stock tranny and the rebuilt engine and sell it.

But, I am so happy to have an Oval again!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

This is going to be fun Popcorn Congratulations Jimbo.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Subscribed, congrats! Popcorn
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Congrats! Looks like it's in good hands.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

This is awesome! Imagine how much nicer you will make this car with your knowledge now vs. 14 year old you! This is exactly what I've done with my bus.
My 55' is Ultramaroon also, and my doors and dash look exactly like yours!! Another one out of the woods. Let's see that WA plate. Might be able to decipher where it was hiding to get that rusty. Congratulations!! Let the early oval part hunting start....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:
Subscribed, congrats! Popcorn

Thanks brother! You need to get by and have a peek.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
This is awesome! Imagine how much nicer you will make this car with your knowledge now vs. 14 year old you! This is exactly what I've done with my bus.
My 55' is Ultramaroon also, and my doors and dash look exactly like yours!! Another one out of the woods. Let's see that WA plate. Might be able to decipher where it was hiding to get that rusty. Congratulations!! Let the early oval part hunting start....

That cool! Yeah younger me knew nothing! Now, with the wrenching experience behind me, the sheet metal work behind me, the welding and body work behind me. I am all set up to restore cars! Plus, now I have a couple of pennies more!

Here you go! One plate. Order up!

Let’s see that Bus!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:
Congrats! Looks like it's in good hands.

Thanks! Time will tell. Man, parts have gotten out of control, ridiculous crazy!

I am having a hard time looking for a back seat! And 500 dollars! Damn!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Closest I can find on that plate is Greys Harbor....you're lucky that's the extent of rust if that's where it came from!! Pics of my bus are under my profile in My pictures. It's a nasty original paint/ logo'd bus. Everything new underneath.
Better get your checkbook ready for the seat bottom, luckily you have most of it!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Closest I can find on that plate is Greys Harbor....you're lucky that's the extent of rust if that's where it came from!! Pics of my bus are under my profile in My pictures. It's a nasty original paint/ logo'd bus. Everything new underneath.
Better get your checkbook ready for the seat bottom, luckily you have most of it!!!

Thanks for researching it for me! Really cool of you!

Your bus was really bad. I am assuming you are referencing the 63. WOW! But I bet it was fun! Gotta have a project going. The alternative is sitting around getting older and stiffer - not for me!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Sooo... you're in California & you couldn't find a better example of an Oval for that kind of money?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Sooo... you're in California & you couldn't find a better example of an Oval for that kind of money?

I could, but I did not want to spend the kids college fund. Just wanted another project!

Plus, I had to have semaphores and wanted all of the details as part of the deal. Most of them for sale are missing the horn button among most everything else. This one had all of it, except the seats. Those, I may have to manufacture.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I just expected that would be a much cheaper car in "The land of the plenty". It looks like the typical Southeast car that was abandoned 30-40 years ago. It makes me feel better about my cars.

Good luck, I'll be watching.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I just expected that would be a much cheaper car in "The land of the plenty". It looks like the typical Southeast car that was abandoned 30-40 years ago. It makes me feel better about my cars.

Good luck, I'll be watching.

That’s what I have been telling you guys since I have been on this site. California has plenty of rusty Bugs. They are cheaper than the nice ones. So, since I like my money, and I like restoring Bugs, I tend to buy the ones that would normally end up at a junkyard. I enjoy the challenges during the process. Like the seats. No way am I shelling out that much money for three seats. But I am fully willing to spend over that to produce them myself! I like figuring it out and knowing that I can do it.

Thanks for the luck. I will take it all! Maybe I will find a bag of money hidden down in the rust flakes in the front quarter panel! Or the rust flakes will really turn out to be gold! Fingers crossed!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Jimbo, if you ever need a second hand to help with anything, let me know. I’m just minutes from you.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Jimbo, if you ever need a second hand to help with anything, let me know. I’m just minutes from you.

Thank you! Right back at you. I am always willing to lend a hand.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

No work today!!!!!!

Time to update. Had me a full week of getting the car registered. Fun stuff - not! Why are government agencies so F’d up! Y!

Enough negative, let’s dwell on the positive, as that is where I like to live!

So, with the registration being 5 years out, and uncertain how much I would need to spend, I decided before I get to far down the road, I would need to get it registered. So, off to AAA to see if I can easily transfer title. Walked into their office and was called up in 5 minutes. Sat down with their appointed agent, who started the process, then....you guess it. A giant hurdle that I was not expecting! I know, I am a stupid ass! One should be able to assume, after a few decades of dealing with this state run agency, that one would know all the “I’s” to dot and the “t’s” to cross. But oh no, there are more!

AAA could not transfer the title due to it being 4 years past due on registration fees. 3 years would be easy, but 4 is like the Berlin Wall! Go figure! So, she handed me a paper that needed to be filled out, stating that the car has sat in a building and has not had it’s tires on any public road, for the pst 4 years. So, instead of just giving up, I showed her the pictures and asked if that sufficed. She said that was a great picture and that it is quit a project, but unfortunately, “No!”

So, I got in touch with the previous owner and asked if they would be willing to fill out a form and sign it, simply stating the car was in fact undrivable and never touched any government property. They agreed. Got that taken care of and returned to AAA to finish. Sat down, went back through the hoops and was denied. Apparently AAA is not able to reregister cars more than four years out. Damn it! She stated I needed to go to the DMV. That’s like the kiss of death!

So, 4 days later, I had an appointment cancel on me. I immediately went by and picked up my file on the car and drove to the DMV. It was 10:30. There was a line of 22 people formed on the exterior of the building. I got in it and baked in the sun! 45 minutes later I was at the front door and a representative asked what i was in need of. They reviewed my paperwork and said go sit in the waiting area. Watch the monitor for (she handed me a piece of paper with “B098” on it) B098 and the station you would need to go to. 1 hour and 22 minutes later B098 showed up on the screen with “Window 12” attached to it. Off to window 12 I proceeded, file in hand. Explained to the representative what I was in need of and what I have completed. She took it all over to a supervisor. They went back and forth for 20 minutes. She returned and stated that the car was more than 4 years past of title fees and taxes and that i was now the responsible party for them. Lucky me!

So, $848.00 later I am the proud owner of a sticker, which I will continue to pay for every year!

My car is now legal to place its tires onto public domain! I feel so special.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Now, the updates on what has been discovered in and regarding the Bug.

Here is the front body tag. I took a green scrubby pad and tried illuminating the embossed items. Those are now much easier to see, but the stamped numbers are still hard to read. Any suggestions on how to further clean, without destroying the plaque?

While looking at that, I noticed a bracket, bolted to the floor of the inset within the trunk. Never seen this thing before, that I know of. Any ideas?

Went ahead and took a close look at the front beam and emergency cable connection, since the cover is MIA.

Looks like one of the cables is either too long, too short or horribly adjusted!

Picture of the body stamp.

Noticed the headlight lenses have an actual VW logo on them. Cool! Never took the time to notice that before on any other Bug.

Looks like there is evidence of someone bumping something up on the drivers front side. Will need to iron these out!

Drivers door have been over extended and horribly screwed the door skin up, next to the hinge entry point.

Further review unveiled some extensive body decay at the lower hinge point.

Got me some more body panels to cut and paste!

Decided to take a peek at the frame head and bottom of the fuel tank. Bottom of the tank seems okay!

Frame head looks to be in great shape. No wrinkles, so that front bump was minor!

However, the trunk floor is in need of some patching.

Also, the front apron will require some new metal!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Any signs that the car has had front apron work? I'm curious why the body tag is in a different spot. Only time I've seen that is because the car has been "clipped" and it was moved when the work was done. To make the VIN more visible, you can rub over the numbers with a sharpie, let the ink dry. Then go over it lightly with a paper towel soaked with brake clean. The black ink is left on the depressed numbers.
That's not the correct fuel tank, but I'm sure you already know that.... I'm really glad to be in a state that doesn't have back fees that ridiculous. We have our issues too...but they don't seem to care as much about older cars, yet. That's a good feeling having some paperwork...even if it was a royal pain in the ass!
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

The mystery part on your spare tire well shelf could be a Telefunken or similar power supply mounting bracket. The power supply would convert 6 volts to the high voltage required to operate the early tube-type radio. Good luck with the project!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 84

Jump to: