Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Transmission ball Reply with quote

That is most likely one of the detent balls for the shift rails. Check out the parts diagram item 51 (1960 parts book). There are three in there somewhere!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission ball Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
That is most likely one of the detent balls for the shift rails. Check out the parts diagram item 51 (1960 parts book). There are three in there somewhere!

I was thinking that but I did not take the forks apart yet. I mean it could have been loose in there all these years. Maybe thats why someone replaced it and sat it off to the side. I will find out soon!

Thanks for the input!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission ball Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Dan22 wrote:

I was thinking that but I did not take the forks apart yet. I mean it could have been loose in there all these years. Maybe thats why someone replaced it and sat it off to the side. I will find out soon!

Thanks for the input!

Make sure to check my post at the bottom of page 37. I have a suspicion where the bearing ball came from.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Perry, you are one funny guy!

Ball is not from the casters. Those are new heavy duty ones for my boring machine! Unknown origin as of right now. But it could have been from the router bit that gave up the ghost the other day. Poor piece of wood!

Progress was made though. Got in touch with my buddy Scott at MCM in Sanger, CA. Emailed back and forth regarding the transmission. Asked if I could get up there and have him watch me rebuild my transmission. He has responded as I was hoping, positively. He is even willing to allow me to utilize one of his split case transmissions. To prepare, I will need to gather a few parts. A gasket set, seals, and whatever else. Hoping to get everything together in the next few weeks and head on up to his place, once again!!! So nice having great people to lean on. As I continue to meander through life, I have come to realize how great it is to ask for help. When I was younger, I made it a point to not ask for help, ever. I have come to regret those mistakes. Glad I have changed, because it makes the journey easier and way more friendly!

See you soon Scott!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

That was the outcome I was hoping for. When I typed, "you know who to call."
Glad you are going back up there to build your own this time. With Scott's careful eye's watching and guiding. It'll be a great experience for you.

I never want to try a tunnel case trans. But a split? Hell yes!
They remind me of a motorcycle trans. I have done a few over the years of racing MX! Very Happy
I miss Saddle Back park, Indian Dunes, and that park in Trabuco Canyon. The name slips my mind.
And who can forget MX night at OCIR? I loved that place. Now long gone. Uhg!
If the racing was boring. You could watch the fighter jets take off from El Toro AB.
Great times!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

This transmission looks really worn out to me. Someone was very rough with first gear which filled the trans with shrapnel causing all the wear you see, along with running it out of oil. It looks like parts to me. Too bad, I took a '59 trans apart in the fall and it was excellent inside. The guts all went to the recyclers but you should be able to find something good in your neighbourhood.

I kept fourth gear:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OTOH The case makes a great table:

Don
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
That was the outcome I was hoping for. When I typed, "you know who to call."
Glad you are going back up there to build your own this time. With Scott's careful eye's watching and guiding. It'll be a great experience for you.

I never want to try a tunnel case trans. But a split? Hell yes!
They remind me of a motorcycle trans. I have done a few over the years of racing MX! Very Happy
I miss Saddle Back park, Indian Dunes, and that park in Trabuco Canyon. The name slips my mind.
And who can forget MX night at OCIR? I loved that place. Now long gone. Uhg!
If the racing was boring. You could watch the fighter jets take off from El Toro AB.
Great times!

The park in Trabuco Canyon was Escape Country. I used to frequent all of them. Lots of fun and freedoms back then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Thanks for posting all of the detailed pics of your split-case disassembly..

While the answer would always be "replace" in the old days.
Today, parts might not be available, and what to use or not might be determined purely by the market.

Maybe you can post some pics and write up your pilgrimage to see Scott?
I have wanted to go and see him for SO long..!

Show up with all of your parts clean, disassembled, some things glass-beaded,
All the new parts you think you might ever need, a bunch of spares, and maybe some fine malted beverage as a gift..

Would love to see this play out;
Get to live vicariously through others and see what I'm so unlikely to be able to do myself..
Sad

What’s That Noise?!?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Thanks for posting all of the detailed pics of your split-case disassembly..

While the answer would always be "replace" in the old days.
Today, parts might not be available, and what to use or not might be determined purely by the market.

Maybe you can post some pics and write up your pilgrimage to see Scott?
I have wanted to go and see him for SO long..!

Show up with all of your parts clean, disassembled, some things glass-beaded,
All the new parts you think you might ever need, a bunch of spares, and maybe some fine malted beverage as a gift..

Would love to see this play out;
Get to live vicariously through others and see what I'm so unlikely to be able to do myself..
Sad

Thanks man!

Did my other trans with Scott a few years back. I drove up with 2 transmissions and we (He) built me a killer transmission to couple up to the 2127! Welded 3&4. Super diff, type 2 input shaft, early gears, 3.88 diff gear, on and on. It has been a great transmission!

Looking forward to that when I get some free to from work. It is just crazy busy!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Did you "Hit the wall" on the build?
Or are you working up the funds for the trans build?

I hope all is well with you and the family.

Perry

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Did you "Hit the wall" on the build?
Or are you working up the funds for the trans build?

I hope all is well with you and the family.

Perry

All is good! Thanks for asking.

Nope. Money is rolling in quicker than anticipated. It’s my time that I cannot seem to keep it from slipping away. First it was the truck. Did that. Then the youngest blew the transmission in her Jeep Liberty. Rebuilt that, had to get another case for it. Stupid ass design. The rear bearing rubs the rear of the case! Put a damn thrust washer in their Daimler! Just wrapped that up last night after work. Then there has been work. I am swamped! There really are not enough hours in the day and days in the week. I have customers introducing me to their good friend saying “Jim can do that. He did a great job on our project!” Then the neighbor wants to get started ASAP. Too much work, right now.

Add to that, to make up for the deficiencies in time. I have allowed the business to work on Saturday and Sunday. Not cool! I HATE working more than 4 days a week. When it climbs to 6 days, I am one pissy guy! F work! But I do like the byproduct - $$$$$$!

We all know the ride will end, so I am sucking it up while it is being thrown into my lap. Bug has to sit idle for a little longer. Maybe 4 weeks while I secure another employee.

Be patient. I do not plan on letting this thread die. I have way too much invested. Hell, parts are still rolling in! Stuff I had forgotten I paid for several months ago! Plus I still need to get back to Scott! Telling you, I need more time in the day!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Glad to read that you Haven't "Hit the wall" on your build.

I just came off a two year 5-10 work schedule and a 6th day at my SIL's ranch on Saturdays. All work and little play made me rather miserable.
Now it's 4-10's and I have too much time on my hands.

I too have parts flying in from all over the globe. Once they get here, I can get to work on my projects. In anticipation of the upcoming car show and racing season. Very Happy

I'll keep checking in to see if there are any updates.

Take care.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Got home and had enough energy to try out the screws that came in for the rag top rails.

They worked, but, barely. Went ahead and ordered some longer ones. 6mm longer. They should work perfectly!

Till next time.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Got a few minutes on the Bug today! So, I decided to start preparing the trunk area for the floor panel install, along with the trunk seal on the cowling. I also have to reinstall the hood cable conduit.

So, out with the old seal retainer. Drilled out the spot welds.

Here’s the remnants.

That was it. I then went back to Jeep Liberty. Seems like I was given a bad upstream O2 sensor. Set a code P2096 twice in the last two days. Did a good visual inspection and cannot find anything. The scanner shows a lazy O2 sensor. So, I put the old one back in to see what happens. So far, so good. Thankfully it is super easy to get to. Wish me luck!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Got a few minutes on the Bug today! ...trunk seal on the cowling. That was it. I then went back to Jeep Liberty...

Daily multivitamin.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Ya know... I often have trouble motivating myself to go out in the garage to work on the bug but the funny thing is that when I'm out there I am happy and having fun. Working on beetles is a joy every time. Working on the Triumph is work but the beetle is not. I am always amazed to look at the clock and see how much time has gone. One night this winter I went out at 7PM and looked up at the clock a few minutes later and it said 11:30. I though it had stopped the day before so I looked at my phone. I was completely astounded to see it really was 11:30!

Triumph, fun to drive but hell to work on.

100% reliable between breakdowns.

Don
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Every little bit you get done. Gets you closer to the finish line.

Nice to see some forward progress going on.
I know it's been difficult finding time between the broken family cars and work getting in the way.

The weird thing during the illness that we cannot talk about is.
Everyone seems to have some disposable income. So even though they are incapable of making home improvements themselves. They are happy to pay for the Professional Handy Man to come and do the work for them.
The upside to this is. You get play money. The downside, as you know. There's no time to play.

Perry

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Had time today to drive out to La Habra and pick up an early front beam. First one I have seen come available in 2 months! I remember when we would dig through stacks of these to find the best part to rebuild whatever was on the lift. It floored me at how hard this item was to find.

Here it is. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Now, out to the garage I go!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

nice score Jimbo. thats a fun small project to complete. I really enjoyed restoring the front beam on mine. I just received a call this week from a guy in GA that would like to buy my completed narrowed beam thats on the chassis now. if the price is right I will sell that newly restored beam and then start the project over on my stock beam. My ultimate goal was to restore the narrow beam and then sell and then rock the stock one. so we shall see if he pulls through.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

OK so I don't want to be a party pooper here but that is not the right beam for your car, if that is what you wanted. OTOH it is a much better beam. It has the bracket for the steering dampener which makes the car much more stable on the road. It should also have a sway bar on it which is another big improvement that stabilizes the front end. Another nice bit is the recirculating ball steering box which lowers arm effort and is available new. This beam can make your car handle much more nicely than stock.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 87

Jump to: