Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
Total bummer dude. Was just thinking it’d been a while since we’d seen an update. I’m sure you will find a work around.

You know it! It’s how I roll!!!!

They did not say, “No sand blasting.” Giddy-up!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

You know, during these pandemic times. Many families are planting vegetable gardens. Have you considered doing so?
Of course the fresh turned earth would need to be fertilized. I suggest, composted Cow manure. It helps grow healthy veggies and the flowers like it too.
The plus side of composted Cow manure is, it stinks to high heaven.
If your bitchy neighbor is downwind of your house. They will be locked indoors for a few weeks while the manure does it's thing on the garden bed. Laughing

I'm really sorry to read that the Gestapo, er I mean the HOA. Is still not being understanding that your hobby is working on cars. Consider that this hobby is what keeps your evil mind in check.
Without this hobby. Does the HOA realize that you have time on your hands to plot your revenge on the neighbors?

I guess, keep up what you can with your car. HOA's blow!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
You know, during these pandemic times. Many families are planting vegetable gardens. Have you considered doing so?
Of course the fresh turned earth would need to be fertilized. I suggest, composted Cow manure. It helps grow healthy veggies and the flowers like it too.
The plus side of composted Cow manure is, it stinks to high heaven.
If your bitchy neighbor is downwind of your house. They will be locked indoors for a few weeks while the manure does it's thing on the garden bed. Laughing

I'm really sorry to read that the Gestapo, er I mean the HOA. Is still not being understanding that your hobby is working on cars. Consider that this hobby is what keeps your evil mind in check.
Without this hobby. Does the HOA realize that you have time on your hands to plot your revenge on the neighbors?

I guess, keep up what you can with your car. HOA's blow!

Younger me would have already done something stupid in retaliation. I had no boundaries and it got me into a lot of trouble with Johnny long arm. Wiser me has learned to say nothing and wait. Wait....maybe more like stir the pot!

I already started back up my woodworking tools. I have made high end custom furniture for years. So, in the spirit of making furniture, which is not “working on automobiles” (Loop hole), I went ahead and ran an 8 inch x 10 foot long, cheap piece of oak through the 12” planer. I used the really dull blades. They more or less just slap the wood a few hundred times a minute. The bitch is that the feeder rollers need some tensioning to be done to them to get them to feed at a higher feed rate. They are slipping right now, so a board that should fly through the machine is crawling through it!!! Makes for a lot of noise. I have strategically placed some plywood sheets to help direct any noise nuisance which may be happening outside from coming into my garage, but it seems that it exaggerates the planer noise and actually ended up funneling the bulk of the hour long planing directly out of my garage, straight out!

I said “sorry” to the neighbor during the process, while shrugging my shoulders. After they left. I turned the planer off.

Best part was that I got to look at the Bug and plan during the long planer passes. And yes, no one was in my home and I wear really good hearing protection that has a radio in it! All I heard was hard rock!

Hardly wait to get a sand blast cabinet!!! Down side was I had to clean up the mountain of chunks and dust. Probably only do this once a week.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slimwonder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

The term HOA brings out how power hungry people can be. They are usually old, miserable and have delusions of grandeur. What gives humans the right to tell others what they can or cannot do in their own homes.

Keep building your car. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Keep up the solid work
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Slimwonder wrote:
The term HOA brings out how power hungry people can be. They are usually old, miserable and have delusions of grandeur. What gives humans the right to tell others what they can or cannot do in their own homes.

Keep building your car. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Keep up the solid work

Thanks for the support!

It would be nice if it was so black and white. I could then stand my ground on solid ground. Unfortunately, HOAs have been given Carte Blanche. They answer to no jurisdiction and can make up any rule they want to. Fighting them is a BIG fight! Their pockets are deep. The members are lawyers themselves. They lie to your face and then in a public forum, shoot you down and (just to be mean) belittle you while kicking you (in front of your appointed neighbors) or the sheep. Man, my blood is started to boil! I gotta stop.

Regardless of what happens, today is “work on the Bug day”! Let’s see what takes place!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Here’s a tool i use for neighbors.

They leave their huge LED floodlights on all night,
I give them Iggy Pop’s first three albums on repeat.

This PA has a switch for use with an audience of more than 2500 people, or less than 2500 people.
Best results are obtained using the former.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They do a lot better job of turning their shit off now.
Used to text them all “Hi, could you please..”

The only way to deal with dickheads is to be the bigger dickhead, unfortunately.

:fist:

What’s That Noise?!?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Here’s a tool i use for neighbors.

They leave their huge LED floodlights on all night,
I give them Iggy Pop’s first three albums on repeat.

This PA has a switch for use with an audience of more than 2500 people, or less than 2500 people.
Best results are obtained using the former.

They do a lot better job of turning their shit off now.
Used to text them all “Hi, could you please..”

The only way to deal with dickheads is to be the bigger dickhead, unfortunately.

:fist:

Thanks for the support! Means alot!

I have been looking for an industrial space to finish the Bug up in, but my time has been squeezed to almost nothing, and so it has been slow going. My small handyman business has taken off like a rocket. I am in way over my head. Able to still pump out work, thanks to my crew, but I am going to plateau out in just a few weeks! Not enough guys to keep up with demand and no time to hire anyone! I call that a catch 22!

Hopefully, I can regain control in the next few months and have a life again. One in which I can work on the Bug again! Because I am sick of just walking by it! It is serving a purpose though. It has a pile of shit on it. Tools, towels, papers, parts, dust, even a disassembled M16! It has everything on it BUT the Kitchen sink! And best of all, it is retaining its shape! No sagging anywhere!

Thanks for checking in brother! Wish me luck! I will take all I can get!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Actually had some free time today! So......

WENT OUT AND WORKED ON THE BUG!!!!!

Headed straight into the rear apron. More precisely, the body lines that are created when it all gets melted together. Follow me along my process!

Here is my starting point!

Let’s see if I can illuminate the issue, as I see it. Might not look like a big deal, but if I had to see this every time I walked up to “my Bug”, I would lose my shit!

It is right where the decklid, fender and quarter panel come together. On all factory Bugs, there is no quarter panel seal edge in the picture, like my left side.

The right is off. You can clearly see the sealing edge popping out the side.

So, I broke out the tape, to see, if I could quantify the magnitude of the offset.

And let’s see what it looks like with the decklid out of the way! See that 1/4 inch of fender showing. I need that to shift over to the other side.

So, I loosened the securing bolts at the moving parts to try and shift the lid over. I managed to get the lid shifted, but saw no real improvement, unfortunately. So, I went ahead and got my BFH out and did an “attitude adjustment” on the hinge support. Got it to shift the necessary amount!

BUT....I need to reduce the width of the rear apron. It looks like, someone (me), may have misaligned the repair patch on the right hand side of the rear apron. You can see that it is about 1/4” wider than it needs to be. OR it is the quarter panel is off. I need to spend a few hours with the Bug, a book of known good dimensions and a tape measure.

So let’s move onto another task that needs to get underway. The front seats. The Bug came with late model Oval front seats, late 55 and up. What I need are 52 - early 55 seats. I have been searching for a reasonable priced set since I purchased it. By the way $3500.00 is not reasonable to me! So, I started looking for pieces of front seats and buying those that are priced fairly. I managed to find spring sets for $100 a seat, so $200.00. Also found partial frames of the back and the seat. Spent another $250.00 for those. Here these parts are! I see rusty gold! What do you see?

Good stuff! Right?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Had to get that posted before I lost it all!

Here are those dimensions, for anyone in the future that needs them.

PM me if you are interested in seat frames. I am considering going to a buddy’s shop and having him run a production run of the seat frames. He does Stainless Steel Railings and refrigerator components. So, I am thinking, no brainer for him. Hit me up if you are interested!!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Well, I got the decklid to sit correctly, but the rear apron was still sticking out to far on the passenger side. So, off the car it comes, to have a 1/4” removed.

First, I need a way to locate the apron back into the exact spot, because I am tired of chasing my tail finding the correct position, each time it is removed. So, I drilled 8 holes to Cleco the apron into the quarter panels! That ought to take the guess work out of relocation.

I then removed the apron again. Then I cut the 1/4” off of the right hand side.

Then welded that corner back together.

Ground the weld down, making it pretty. Then ground out the back side so that it would lay flat on the adjoining panel. I then drilled 40 3/16” holes. 20 on each side, to enable plug welding the panels together.

It then went back onto the car! Super easy to realign everything!

On the interior of the engine compartment, the seal channel lines up perfectly, on both side.

That happened without me even looking at it. I just aligned the exterior and WA LA!!!! Could not have done that if I had been trying to do it. Maybe I am a little lucky!

With everything looking good, I went ahead and plug welded in a few spots.

Check out the almost finished product.

Wish I had a better hinge support that I could swap out the damaged one with. Regardless, the apron is in its final spot! Another panel in place! Only 6 more to go! I am starting to see the end of cutting and pasting!

Until next time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Well done.

Reminds me of the day I did this:

Virtanen's panels require a lot of reshaping to get them to fit. I had trimmed a fair amount off the back of this piece hoping for the best and it went together like butta. Couldn't believe it especially with what I went through on the other side.

Keep it coming when you can.

Don
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

looks good what you did on the aprons.

when you install back the fender you might need to do what I had to do on my left front fender by cutting the lip and weld it back with less material which helped me to adjust where the junction was between apron and quarter panel.
without that I could not get the fender stay flush from the quarter panel.

My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:
looks good what you did on the aprons.

when you install back the fender you might need to do what I had to do on my left front fender by cutting the lip and weld it back with less material which helped me to adjust where the junction was between apron and quarter panel.
without that I could not get the fender stay flush from the quarter panel.

Thanks for that tip, right there! I have not ever had one that did not work out, with some gentle (3 pound hammer). So, if the hammer will not move it, I will cut it as suggested. Thanks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

On the interior of the engine compartment, the seal channel lines up perfectly, on both side.

That happened without me even looking at it. I just aligned the exterior and WA LA!!!! Could not have done that if I had been trying to do it. Maybe I am a little lucky!

Damn, you make it look so easy! Just for me to figure out what doesn't look right, takes about 3 hours. Luckily, I get lucky. Good luck...Bad luck...I take what I can get! Laughing

TIP:
I close my garage door about 90%, just enough for some ventilation. That way nobody knows what I'm doing in there. Neighbors-What a PAIN! Just they wait---- 'TIL YOU FIRE THAT BUG UP WHEN IT'S FINISHED!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Mac jelly - you do know I have been looking at and playing with that area, on and off, for over 1 year!!!! Dude, where did the time go?!?!?! Damn!!!!! That’s a lonnnnnnnggggggg ass time playing with steel and angles! Feels like I have been in Geometry class for years and am still failing the test each week. I think this last weekend, I finally got a C-! So, I can move on to the next chapter!!!!!

Thanks for looking in on me! I love the chit chat. It helps to keep me going and to, hopefully finish some portion of this car up!

🤙🏻🤪

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Got in another 4 hours!

Started by removing the hood hinges. I was thinking about welding in the trunk floor and got to looking at it and, well, I took the hood hinge arms off the car.

Bolt goes into the hinge, then the spacer/ washer, then threads into the body.

Then, armed with a drawing I found on line, with dimensions.

I went about checking the rear end body panel alignment. The drawing shows a newer Bug, but it should be close enough.

First the width of the rear apron.

748mm! As per the drawing.

Then onto the bumper mounts.

Then measured for alignment.

1132mm. Shy of the 1135 mark, but the starting point is non fully defined. So.......

Onto the upper point of measurement.

746mm. 2mm shy.

With the body in a good place, I went ahead and bolted the bumper onto the car. I secured the bumper mount points with clamps and then bolted the fenders into place. Followed that up with bolting the bumper in!

Here’s the bumper that came with the car. Came with the 3 leaf bumper arms! They need some work! Shocker there, I know. The upper support arm on the drivers side seems to have been modified.

See the short one. Seems to have been cut and then one end slipped into the other end. Odd!

Here it is, bolted in place! Still need to disassemble it all and weld the mounts in place.

I then put everything away. Done for the day!

Oh, but wait, what do I see? A decklid hinge support! I just found and purchased one. It is already on its way! Oh well, I got a spare!

I then found the old rear quarter panel piece I cut out.

That thing was wasted!

And for the record. The sheet with my measurements, because you know I will lose it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I'm still following along on your build.

The car looks great with the bumper on it.

Perhaps make a wall hanger from the crusty quarter panel. Just so you can review where you started and where the story ends
That is, if you can find a wall in your shop to hang it! Laughing

Keep it up. You'll get there!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I'm still following along on your build.

The car looks great with the bumper on it.

Perhaps make a wall hanger from the crusty quarter panel. Just so you can review where you started and where the story ends
That is, if you can find a wall in your shop to hang it! Laughing

Keep it up. You'll get there!

Thanks Perry! Glad someone is still watching, little o me!

Wall art sounds like a good idea! I will need to work on that for a few weeks. It needs to fully communicate the suffering that took place during the event! Sorry man, too many years as a Fine Arts major, before changing to a Business Management major! 2 opposite end of a shared spectrum.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
ELHIPPIE64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

PM me if you are interested in seat frames. I am considering going to a buddy’s shop and having him run a production run of the seat frames. He does Stainless Steel Railings and refrigerator components. So, I am thinking, no brainer for him. Hit me up if you are interested!!!

Any idea what size tube those frames are?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

ELHIPPIE64 wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Any idea what size tube those frames are?

I do have that! I will get it posted up, tomorrow.

So, tomorrow came and went. Sorry man, got caught working on the 3rd story of a home downtown. Had to change out a recir pump at an inline water heater. No fun! Because I also had to R&R the temperature valve under the Kitchen sink on the ground floor. Needless to say, I used the stairs about 30 times. 3 up and 3 down! Got my work out in!

Pictures as promised, just a little late!
19.74mm

An RCH under 25/32", according to the, non digital, marks!
battery was dying on the calipers, so used my non digital ones.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 84

Jump to: