Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Got me 3 hours. Back is doing much better, but still is super easy to ruin it. I was very careful and managed to keep my back in good shape! So, here is what I did.

Doug, thanks for those pictures! They helped ALOT!

Here is the start of my own hybrid model!

Got me a pair, now! And look, I got casters on the other one!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I failed to buy the correct number of casters. Damn it! So, I have to find time to go back to the shop I bought them from.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Good to hear that you are feeling better. Sometimes a break can be a good thing. Because, your fabrication looks amazing. The Rotisserie I was imagining for my project is nothing like yours and Volksvr6gti's. When I get there, I may be too embarrassed to post it.

Thanks for the updates and carry on my good Sir!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

MACJELLY58 wrote:
Good to hear that you are feeling better. Sometimes a break can be a good thing. Because, your fabrication looks amazing. The Rotisserie I was imagining for my project is nothing like yours and Volksvr6gti's. When I get there, I may be too embarrassed to post it.

Thanks for the updates and carry on my good Sir!!

Thank you!

The break has been hard. I hate being immobile. It SUCKS!!! Plus, the Bug just stares at me when ever I am in the garage, with a sad look.

But my back is doing WAY better. So, that is good! Going by the steel shop later today to pick up 2 more casters (because I had a brain fart the 1st time) and some 1/4” plate. That way I will be ready for the weekend!

Thanks for checking in brother!🤙🏻

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I hope that car is still scowling at you everytime you enter the garage.

Have you done anything, to make progress sine 8/25?

It's time to get back to work on it. And update this thread!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Back is doing much better, but still is super easy to ruin it. I was very careful and managed to keep my back in good shape...

That's right outtuva page in my playbook bro. Same sitch eggzackly! I jacked my back for about 8 weeks and just got back into the garage a few weeks ago. I've gotta move ever so carefully, bend ever so carefully, lift ever so carefully. Sometimes it seems like I can just get out of bed wrong in the morning or stretch wrong and wrench my frackin' back Mad

Let it heal, then take it slow, and it will slowly but gradually strengthen. But as you well know...do...NOT...push it, or you'll go down again. Hang in there!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

It is. And it sucks!

Nothing has been done. I have been nursing my back, every minute of the entire day. I am still working, with the help of Advil. But it is too much. I helped in lifting up a 350 pound bathtub to a second story bathroom, followed by a 300 pound vanity. No easy days!

But it is getting better! I just keep pounding on it during the week, so the weekend has become get fatter and allow the back to heal.

Couple more weeks and I think I will be able to lift more than 50 pounds, for fun!

Thanks for checking in on me!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Back is doing much better, but still is super easy to ruin it. I was very careful and managed to keep my back in good shape...

That's right outtuva page in my playbook bro. Same sitch eggzackly! I jacked my back for about 8 weeks and just got back into the garage a few weeks ago. I've gotta move ever so carefully, bend ever so carefully, lift ever so carefully. Sometimes it seems like I can just get out of bed wrong in the morning or stretch wrong and wrench my frackin' back Mad

Let it heal, then take it slow, and it will slowly but gradually strengthen. But as you well know...do...NOT...push it, or you'll go down again. Hang in there!

YES!!! That is the plan. It is work...someone has to lift, push and pull. This upcoming week should be easier on me. Just have to tile a tub surround with 12x24s. Easy! I am on my last day of week 7! There is hope!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

It is. And it sucks!

Nothing has been done. I have been nursing my back, every minute of the entire day. I am still working, with the help of Advil. But it is too much. I helped in lifting up a 350 pound bathtub to a second story bathroom, followed by a 300 pound vanity. No easy days!

But it is getting better! I just keep pounding on it during the week, so the weekend has become get fatter and allow the back to heal.

Couple more weeks and I think I will be able to lift more than 50 pounds, for fun!

Thanks for checking in on me!

Pretty sure that there’s four guys that could help with your back. 4 Sons is there to help you, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Just got home from there! My oldest kid is working there now. So, I have to go (drink beer)!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Just got home from there! My oldest kid is working there now. So, I have to go (drink beer)!

Now, you talking my kinda MEDICINE!!

I find that the muscle relaxing qualities of an Adult Beverage does wonders!

At least that's what I tell the wife. Cool
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

You've been BUSY! Exciting progress. Hopefully I'll have the time to hang out here with you fine people again sometime in the next year.

Now I'm off to climb the ladder (again) to nail up some siding. Smile

Best,

Jeremy
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

FIANLLY!!!!

My back is about 80%. I can only work for a limited amount of time, then back to the couch. Relax, nap and back at it! Yesterday I woke up feeling really good and ended up in the garage! It has been 10 weeks since I pulled or tweaked or ripped my hip joint on my left side. I can still feel it, but it does not immobilize me anymore!

So, with that. In the immortal words of Mario Cart, "Here we go again!" Or something like that.

Got out to the Bug and went straight back into the car dolly. I decided to get the car attached by the bumper supports and create a bracing system at each end incorporating the body mount points as well. I knew from my previous go around with the front apron, I needed to get the passenger side front bumper mount point removed and cleaned up, then reattached, so.....

With a 3 hour limit, here is were I started....

I remember that one of the bolts had a previously attempted drill out on it. See...
This is the good one.

This is the bad one.

So, instead of trying to get my fat hands and tools in there to remove it, I decided to bring the mount point out into the open, which would also allow me to rid the backside of any latent rust.

Brushed away the paint and primer to illuminate where the spot welds are.

Then went through and drilled each one out, trying not to drill through the mount. However, I did want 2 holes all the way through for realigning with the Clecos. Sorry no picture of the holes all drilled out. But.....

Then the chiseling...

Once the top welds broke, it was onto the bottom row....

POP goes the bracket!

Look at that pile of cocoons from some critter!

And the big reveal of the back side and the weld nut I will replace!
* Thumb got in the way of the sheet metal. Hate when that happens. But a quick part of a paper towel and some painter's tape and we can continue without stopping!

And look at how bent up this bracket is? We are going to have to reshape it!

Pulled out my trusty VW wrist pin and tapped it with a hammer against the concrete with the mount in between.

A then a few more hits....

Looks pretty good to me!

It was then clamped to the soon to be car dolly and I drilled out the spot welds on the nut.

And chiseled that off.

Cleaned up the mount with a wire brush and Naval Jelly. Then primed it on the interior side with weld through. Followed that up with clamping the weld nut into place.

Nice! Went over to the car and cleaned up the inside and outside areas of the mount and shot some weld through on them.

Ready to Cleco it on and weld it up!

Turned on the welder, cranked on the shielding gas and I could hear a psssssst, really faintly. Broke out the Simple Green, full strength, and laid some product on the regulator, as that is where the sound was originating from.

See that clean spot on the closest corner? Yep, that is an air escape route. This is why I have been blowing through gas. I probably could have heard a leak like this 20 years ago, but my hearing has been going for, well, 20 years! Finally thinking hearing aides are needed, NOW, before it gets any worse. But back to the story.

Disassembled the regulator and found a bad oring. Slapped a new oring into that groove and reassembled. Retested and found no leak detectable.

Went back to the bumper weld nut and welded it in, followed by a quick grinding and primer.

Then over to the car to get Cleco'd into place and clamped nice and tight for good welds.

Ground those down.

Primed it all up and installed the new 1/4" steel onto the supports. Thats when the back started to remind me that I am on borrowed time right now!

Put the tools and the Bug away! Until the next time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Marvelous! Good to see one of us making progress. I'll live vicariously thorough you for a bit longer.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. It sucks when our bodies let us down. Sad

-Jeremy
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Awesome, An update!

I was gonna post,

"So Jimmy. What did you do for your car today?"

"Well, Perry, I posted my build thread on the 54 oval build thread.
I'm beat. It was a bitch posting that.
I need a coconut IPA to get things in perspective."

"Good work Jimmy!" Very Happy

Keep it up Brauh! It'll get done before you know it!

Take care of that back. You only get one.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

And the universe returns to balance. Popcorn
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
Marvelous! Good to see one of us making progress. I'll live vicariously thorough you for a bit longer.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. It sucks when our bodies let us down. Sad

-Jeremy

67rustavenger wrote:
Awesome, An update!

I was gonna post,

"So Jimmy. What did you do for your car today?"

"Well, Perry, I posted my build thread on the 54 oval build thread.
I'm beat. It was a bitch posting that.
I need a coconut IPA to get things in perspective."

"Good work Jimmy!" Very Happy

Keep it up Brauh! It'll get done before you know it!

Take care of that back. You only get one.

Buggeee wrote:
And the universe returns to balance. Popcorn

Thanks for the thoughts, the kind words and just taking an interest in what I enjoy doing!

Now, go work on your own shit! Laughing

You guys are awesome!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I managed to stick it out for a few more hours today. Back is sore, but not worth taking anything for it! This has been the most I have done two days in a row, in a while! That probably means I should get my ass back to working full time. Damn it!

Anyways, got the front mount started for the carousel. Still need to add some connecting rods from the carousel to the rear fuel tank hold down bolts.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Ohh..Yah!! Jimmy's Back ! (no pun intended)

For some reason, after not working on my project for 6 weeks, I felt an overwhelming urge to get out there this past weekend. I guess I could feel the power of the "Force" stir as you got in to it again.

So, thank you as I am again inspired to push forward.

JIMMY'S BACK!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

MACJELLY58 wrote:
Ohh..Yah!! Jimmy's Back ! (no pun intended)

For some reason, after not working on my project for 6 weeks, I felt an overwhelming urge to get out there this past weekend. I guess I could feel the power of the "Force" stir as you got in to it again.

So, thank you as I am again inspired to push forward.

JIMMY'S BACK!!

Feels good to be helpful! You are welcome! Check back in on Sunday for some updates!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Another 5 hours! Worked on the rear pivot. I picked up the additional casters during the week. Got those onto the cart and welded it to the bumper mounts. Same way I did the front. However, we’ll see for yourselves.

Here it is lined up and set in place. Car is still sitting on the cart.

Took a leap and removed the brace from the cart! The rear end was completely suspended on the cart.

Once the rear was hovering in mid air, I figured I would get the front on an air hook. So, I jacked the car and front stand up in the air and removed the brace.

That’s when I noticed the rear bumper mount were changing shape.

So, I reset the brace and removed the stand. That when I zoomed in on the number of welds still needing to be done on those two mounts. DAMNIT!!!!

So, back off the stand came. Check out the shape change.

Pounded the mounts back into shape.

After that I figured I probably ought to weld those mounts on 100%. Then take all the shit out of the interior of the car. Maybe I will detach the pan from the body, THEN try and suspend the body again!

Maybe next week I will get it! I am closer!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 87

Jump to: