Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Hell yeah Jimbo, beach, babe, and Bug! Lovin' it Smile

Thanks! I love my life! No complaints. No regrets!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

David wrote:
MeeferMadness wrote:
Jim: There is a place here in Eugene OR that does full body chemical dipping.

Is this the place you're talking about?

http://metaldipping.com/

I ran into them when I was searching for a dipper/electroplating shop.

Buggeee wrote:
There is a place here in Ohio where you can dip a whole body into a vat of some kind of chemical bath that etches everything to clean metal inside and out. I saw someone on a build thread here had that done and also the place then dipped it in something else to seal it up before primer. It very dark gray afterwards. Probably you've already looked into it.

Excellent to reach this stage. Wishing you continued health.

This sounds like e-coating. I found a place in Lousiana that does the dipping and the e-coating.

https://selectmotors.net/automotive-chemical-stripping-and-e-coating/

Sorry for the long pause in my response. I had to find the time, to go back through my notes and then respond. No, that is a different business. I was thinking of Strip Clean Company. After a lot of research, they closed shop some where around 2011. Too bad for me. They were only 20 minutes away. Missed it by that much.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Another 4 hours grinding and welding! It all adds up and it is getting closer to going out for blasting or dipping.

But I don’t want to get ahead of myself. Let’s just focus at the task at hand. Pulled the Bug out and rotated it onto its side, so that I could grind some of the luggage shelf goobers down.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Started here and primed it.

Then rotated it to the bottom again and finished up the heater channel to lower luggage crossover.

After that, I dove into the front bulkhead wall’s lower corners. They were badly rusted on the interior side. Had to remove a chunk and weld in new steel, on both ends! Started on the driver’s side.

Close up. Can you believe this has held up for a year, plus some!

Drew a cut line.

Drilled out a hole to relieve any stresses later in life. Pilot hole. Followed by a bigger hole.

Then a cut across the line.

Cut it as close as I could to the side panel. But ended up needing to snip the last little bit.

Here it comes!

Had to wiggle it with some pliers.

Finally!!!

Now I need to fill this spot.

All welded up and ground down. Stronger than before I started.

Will still need to weld the bottom to the channel.

But let’s do the other side while the process is fresh!

And that is the dinner bell!

Hope all of you spend some time with those you love and enjoy a good meal! Have a happy Ham (Turkey) day! I hate Turkey!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Love seeing the detailed progress pics and detailed progress. Keep it up - looking great!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Love seeing the detailed progress pics and detailed progress. Keep it up - looking great!

Thanks! I love seeing them as well! It means some type of forward progression was achieved. I am looking forward to having a few days off, this weekend. Maybe, just maybe, I can get a full day in on the Bug. It has been a long time since I have had a chunk of free time off.

Thanks for checking in!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Look here before you... behold Geoge Washington's axe! (Mind you, the handle has been replaced five times and the head twice).

This Oval could not have found a better home. Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Look here before you... behold Geoge Washington's axe! (Mind you, the handle has been replaced five times and the head twice).

This Oval could not have found a better home. Very Happy

Could not agree more! Makes me think of this song by Johnny Cash!

Link

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

That Rotisserie sure is a back saver! I can hear your back saying "thank you" from here. Nice work and have a great Holiday!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

MACJELLY58 wrote:
That Rotisserie sure is a back saver! I can hear your back saying "thank you" from here. Nice work and have a great Holiday!

Thanks brother! My back is super happy!

You have a great holiday as well!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

The front windshield from Kaefer Nostalgie came in yesterday. I had heard through some buddies that front glass was going to be, “ hard to get” in the upcoming several months, so I ordered one hoping to get it in a few months.

Yesterday when I got home, out on the front porch was a big box.

Picked it up, took it out to the Kitchen. Laid it on the island and opened it up. I got a sideways look from the wifey. But she was happy for me!

It was less than well wrapped. I was really scared that it may have been damaged during its journey. As you can see, the box was less than stellar!

I was so excited that it was not damaged, after opening it, that I took it out to the car and sat it in place.

Nice fit! And it has a logo on it!

Until next time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I had gotten one of those windshields too. Then I discovered it was not laminated safety glass. If a rock or something hits it, it will explode into pieces. So I decided to get a laminated windshield cut to be safer. Just hope you know that. I did however like the sekurit logo.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

scotty timmerman wrote:
I had gotten one of those windshields too. Then I discovered it was not laminated safety glass. If a rock or something hits it, it will explode into pieces. So I decided to get a laminated windshield cut to be safer. Just hope you know that. I did however like the sekurit logo.

Thanks man! That sucks! I was Uber excited! That is the second strike against that company. I now know better. They sell shit! Guess I will return it and get a better one.

Thank you!

Where did you get one from?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:

Thanks man! That sucks! I was Uber excited! That is the second strike against that company. I now know better. They sell shit! Guess I will return it and get a better one.

Thank you!

They do say it in their add "5mm tempered glass". I missed it because I was too focused on the logo. It is how the original one was though. I took the one I bought to my local speedy glass and they cut one for me.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I saw the same thing, and decided to wait till I could get one cut also. I may make a "Sekurit" stencil on the water jet and try etching the glass myself with a sandblaster.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

scotty timmerman wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
scotty timmerman wrote:

Thank you!

They do say it in their add "5mm tempered glass". I missed it because I was too focused on the logo. It is how the original one was though. I took the one I bought to my local speedy glass and they cut one for me.

I just assumed that they would need to meet current laws regarding glass for automobiles. As a contractor, we are always having to meet current standards due to government policies. Figured imported items like AUTOMOTIVE PARTS, would be under the same parameters, due to public safety!

I will be sending this back and getting one made. One more thing to do!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I saw the same thing, and decided to wait till I could get one cut also. I may make a "Sekurit" stencil on the water jet and try etching the glass myself with a sandblaster.

Keep me updated on the stenciling! I was thinking sand blaster. I have a small one for spark plugs. If I knew I could seal the lettering 100%, I would go for it. But I do not know a good method. Maybe silicon sealant! Maybe, IN MY SPARE TIME, I will try it on a piece of glass. Don’t hold your breathe!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

When I took glass art in high school we used this peel and stick rubber sheet that you stuck on the glass then could transfer graphite onto from drawing on a piece of paper. Then cut it out with a scalpel and used a sand blaster to etch it. The rubber sheet protected the glass and whatever you cut out was transferred to the glass.
73 super beetle
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Acetate ?
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I took my old broken windshield to an autoglass place and they cut me a new one with the correct glass for $150. Cheap. Something that few people know is that glass is a viscous fluid not a solid and so it changes over time, it gets more brittle as it ages. For windshields, new is better.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I took my old broken windshield to an autoglass place and they cut me a new one with the correct glass for $150. Cheap. Something that few people know is that glass is a viscous fluid not a solid and so it changes over time, it gets more brittle as it ages. For windshields, new is better.

Don

Awesome! I will make a template out of hardboard and take it to the glass shop I subcontract out to. They ought to take care of me!

Amorphous Solid Is the term you want to use here. Cool thing! I had my first real interaction with this event when me and the wife, 2 years into marriage, bought a huge fixer upper. It was a 1908 2 story Craftsman, in a historic downtown area in Upland, CA. All of the sashes had lost their cords, so I opted to go through the whole house and record them all. I was also going to replace a pane of glass with a crack in it. I took the window down to the local glass shop and asked if they could cut me a piece of glass “like this one”?.?. The guy behind the counter, 60 some years old, opened up the classroom, right then and there, and gave me a full disquisition on glass properties, application and techniques for the installation of such! To keep it simple, it was the longest wait time EVER for a building material product. BUT, I have reflected several times upon that conversation and, maybe a decade ago, became fully appreciative of that lecture! Thanks glass man. I do not know his name.

So cool! One more. He showed me the change in thickness from the top of the glass, to the bottom of the glass, in my old window pane. I went back to the house and looked at each sash, so I could see the waves!

Thanks for the memory! I love learning!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 87

Jump to: