Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake pad review ...and a deal for someone
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Brake pad review ...and a deal for someone Reply with quote

So I keep telling people to list your cars on Rockauto and they will send you a bi-monthly list of closeout parts...for pennies on the dollar.

So the latest box to arrive...has two full sets of Anco wiper blades...with rubber...36 cents each! Laughing Very Happy
And...two Beck Arnley rear parking brake cable assemblies...$6 each....and lost of other goodies for that cheap.

So...I ordered a set of Wagner Thermo-quiet metallic brake pads for my 1973 VW 412....at $6-ish. These are REALLY good pads.

Since I am going to be using Pagid when I get the car off the ground I really ordered these to use for setting up the rear disc assembly centering.

So when they arrived I opened the box and realized...they are the wrong pad. They are for a 411...or a late type 3....with the 10mm friction material instead of 14mm.

Rockauto lists them for all 411 and 412. Its actually Wagners fault. I am getting with Rockauto tomorrow to fix their catalog listing....but for now they gave me a refund for 1/2 the shipping and half the price....so I got them for about $2.

So I am posting a link to the type 3 forums as well. But if anyone with a 411 wants a very good set of full metallic brake pads with factory applied shims....for FREE...just contact me and pay shipping and they are yours.

I have used this pad on Jettas and Golfs. Very quiet, very high temp, good stopping, fairly clean and rotor friendly.

See the pics below.... Ray

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pad review ...and a deal for someone Reply with quote

Rock Auto is good when you get the good stuff from them. They will advertise something with a picture of the good parts and send you the Chinese junk. I asked them about this and they said the picture is for reference.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pad review ...and a deal for someone Reply with quote

Do pass on the rear type three brake drums. Yes the drums are new and come to you way out of round. The when you have them turned and trued...they may be really close to not being used safely.
Not surprised about the brake pads being wrong.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pad review ...and a deal for someone Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Do pass on the rear type three brake drums. Yes the drums are new and come to you way out of round. The when you have them turned and trued...they may be really close to not being used safely.
Not surprised about the brake pads being wrong.

Yes...there have not been any new brake drums...in my lifetime...being produced for 411/412 and type 3 (same drums)...that are any good.

The German drums were made two pieces....steel center and cast iron or cast steel outer ring welded together to make them straight.

That being said...if Centric ever starts making replacement drums for type 3 and 4...making their own and not selling Brazilian crap....I would bet they would be excellent.

The casting technology at Centric is world class. They make excellent rotors and NEW calipers (not their rebuilt line).

Yes...the brake pads and rotors thing....up to 72 and after August of 72 for 411/412 and 914 has been constantly screwed up in untold numbers of catalogs at FLAPS and among manufacturers....for my entire life. Just in the last decade I finally thought they were all getting it right ...but not all of them.

Ever since I got my first 411....in 1978...my first car....every single parts book back then swore up and down... "fits all...411/412 1968 to 75"...and even worse...through the 80's and 90's....a wide range of parts houses you would walk into looking for ball joints....and they would ask "upper or lower"....the books listing type 4 cars as the same in all parts as type 3 cars.

I cannot tell you how many master cylinders I have ordered...and gotten a type 3 cylinder. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pad review ...and a deal for someone Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

I cannot tell you how many master cylinders I have ordered...and gotten a type 3 cylinder. Ray

How much are you paying for your master cylinders?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake pad review ...and a deal for someone Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

How much are you paying for your master cylinders?

I dont buy master cylinders anymore. If they are NOS.....and over 10-15 years old, its a crapshoot with the seals. EPDM increases hardness by a factor of about 20% in that range of time.

With the difficulty of installing a master cylinder under the dash of a type 4 without ruinijg the carpet and pedal cluster....and they are a difficult bleed......its better to simply rebuild one properly if you have not let it rust.

The problem is that its not that the average prices I used to pay....about $125 to $150.....were unfair for a master cylinder. Its that they are all too old. About 90% of the JOS MC's I was buying in the late 90s either could not seal or failed within 10-15k miles. These were late 70s/early 80s production.

The thing about master cylinders......if they are not allowed to rust or score.....they NEVER wear out. The pistons are undersized to the bore from between .002" at best to .005" max allowable. The pistons do not really touch the bore. Only the seals. If you do not allow rust to start....its a matter of new seal kit every 5-8 years and they last forever.

The ONLY problem with a properly stored NOS master cylinder.....is the seals. If you can find new seals from a seal maker.....or find up to date master cylinder kits from any dual circuit 19mm from beetle, type 3 or thing.....for cheap enough to steal the seals and discard the pistons......and work that into the price of your NOS cylinders.....you should probably be able to get a very fair price of about $150 to $175.....maybe more....suppply and demand.

I think enough people would pay that.....IF.....you can show them its NOS....and it has NEW seals....not 35-40 year old seals.

It may be September or October.....but I am about to hone my small collection of about 5-6 cores and 3 clutch master cores.....mirror polish the bores....and then electroless nickel plate them back to CORRECT factory bore size of about .002" to .003" larger than the piston set that goes in each one.....then a quick 5 second pass with a 600 grit hone to give a factory style "lap" to the bore.

Then....if I can scavenge some type 3 seal kits.....I can build the pistons and store them disassembled with each cylinder. They will keep 25 years that way and be functional when assembled.

I am really only wanting at bare minimum 2 MC's for my car and any spare will be sold just to cover my plating costs.

The nice thing about a nickel plated bore.....is that after baking.....it will be about rockwell hardess 70+.....and pretty much rust proof unless you scratch through it. I may hard anodize the pistons if I can afford to. Between those things.....a bore size dead on factory best.....hard, rust proof liner and corrosion proof pistons......thats pretty much a forever MC....as long as you change out the brake fluid regularly snd slap in a new seal kit when they wear out. Ray
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pad review ...and a deal for someone Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

The ONLY problem with a properly stored NOS master cylinder.....is the seals. If you can find new seals from a seal maker.....or find up to date master cylinder kits from any dual circuit 19mm from beetle, type 3 or thing.....for cheap enough to steal the seals and discard the pistons......and work that into the price of your NOS cylinders.....you should probably be able to get a very fair price of about $150 to $175.....maybe more....suppply and demand.

I think enough people would pay that.....IF.....you can show them its NOS....and it has NEW seals....not 35-40 year old seals.

Mine are $225 each, include switches, and I include new seals as well with the sale.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2204366
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2212506
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: