Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judson powered Typ 2 EDIT: question about distributor
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alppiapina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Judson powered Typ 2 EDIT: question about distributor Reply with quote

Hi all!
Just want to share my Judson-project. I bought Judson from here in Finland last autumn. During winter I checked the blower and oiler. Now it has new vanes and rotor, thanks to Ricardo from Split Parts Unlimited. Exhaust system is from Vintage Speed. George Folchi sent me new linkage and 8 mm spark plug wires are from Lowbrow Customs.
And yes, Im very sorry, I must hack the engine comp ceiling. Now there is The Hurricane - Ultimate Cooling System. It operates from ambulance fan switch from cockpit.

Last saturday I drove 90 kilometers to car show and all went well. Maybe I'm little worried about overheating and I must do something to it next winter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Alppiapina on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 Reply with quote

I love it, don't care about your "hack" anyways. It already had window holes cut in it, so hack away! I think you could do with a vintage looking braided hose on your oiler Smile

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alppiapina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 Reply with quote

Thanks! It was quite common in Finland in the 60s to cut window holes to kastenwagen. It was cheaper than buy a bus. Fellows in Fire Brigade did those windows in year 1961.
You are right about oiler hose. And I need 010 or 019 distributor too.

Last edited by Alppiapina on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 Reply with quote

Beautiful engine and bus. Nicely done!
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 Reply with quote

Love the extension on the oil filler!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 Reply with quote

D-train wrote:

Period About Time Inc. filler. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2232041 Laughing
I paid $50 for mine.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
D-train wrote:

Period About Time Inc. filler. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2232041 Laughing
I paid $50 for mine.

Sexy!!!
Alppiapina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 Reply with quote

Thanks all! Someone asked me, from where I found that oil filler extension, but I cant remember, maybe it was somewhere in UK

But a question: Many people says that Bosch 010 or 019 is the best distributor in Judson-motor. Is that so? Bosch 010 and 019 have not vacuum system. Does the Solex 28 pict-1 -carb work best with vacuum system? As you see right now I have 123ignition-distributor with vacuum system in my motor. I have in shelf ZV/PAU 4R5, witch is original vacuum dizzy with Solex 28 pict, if I'm right.

So, what is your opinion? What dizzy with Judson-charged 1200 cc 40 hp motor with Solex 28 pict-1?

1. Bosch 010
2. Bosch 019
3. 123ingnition with vac
4. 123ignition without vac
5. ZV/PAU 4R5
6. ?

And other question comes in my mind: Timing 7,5 or 10 BTDC with Judson? Old Volkswagen manual says that 10 BTDC in stock 40 hp motor.

Thanks all!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 EDIT: question about distributor Reply with quote

With a 123 you can set your curve. You may need tune+. The curves for 010, 019, etc are easily available so program your 123 with their curves.

With the prices of 010 and 019 I'd pick 123ignition any day unless you want something original or show quality. You've already paid the hefty price for the 123. May as well use it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 EDIT: question about distributor Reply with quote

I was going to comment on the fact that you had a different distributor in each of your pictures above, since I'm a distributor guy. Absolutely nothing wrong with experimenting!

The stock big cap 40 hp distributors are vacuum advance only unless you lock out the advance. I would think that the Judson would mess with the carburetor vacuum?

The 019 is the Bosch replacement for the 1955-1959 stock Bus distributor originally badged as a VJ 4 BR 8. It's considered a mild performance distributor. since your kinda going for a vintage look I would go with a BR 8.

The 010 is the Bosch replacement for the 1960 stock Bus distributor originally badged as a VJ 4 BR 25. It's considered a drag strip distributor and with or without the supercharger your engine could certainly handle the steeper advance curve of this distributor. Again I would go with a BR 25 badge rather than an 010 to stay with the vintage theme.

The big cap distributors were in use from late 1959 (on the Ghia) until the end of model year 1964. The 010 and 019 badged distributors were issued in the mid 1960's until the mid 1970's when the 009 was introduced.

I haven't any experience with the other distributors in order to comment so I'll end here.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 EDIT: question about distributor Reply with quote

Your static timing setting depends entirely upon which distributor you choose.

The Big cap R 2 and R 5 canisters deliver about 18 degrees of advance so static timing is around 10 degrees BTDC.

The BR 8 delivers approximately 16 degrees of mechanical advance so static timing is near 16 degrees.

The BR 25 delivers around 22 degrees of advance and should be set static at around 10 degrees BTDC.

Alppiapina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 EDIT: question about distributor Reply with quote

Thank you, that was very informative!
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson powered Typ 2 Reply with quote

TinCanFab wrote:
I love it, don't care about your "hack" anyways. It already had window holes cut in it, so hack away! I think you could do with a vintage looking braided hose on your oiler Smile

A 1938 Prototype engine with what appears to be braided fuel lines? Truly vintage there!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: