Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kadron horsepower limit?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Kadron horsepower limit? Reply with quote

As the title asks, anybody know much power Kadrons are capable of- with 28mm venturis? with 30 mm venturis? Thanks! Al
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kadron horsepower limit? Reply with quote

Some good info here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576857&highlight=kadron+mohr

There used to be a 13.90 Kadron race class as well
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kadron horsepower limit? Reply with quote

If you put enough cam in to make power, Kadrons don't idle very well. Not a problem for a race engine, not to good on the street. If you put a cam in that idles decent, won't make a whole lot of power. That is the problem with Kadrons.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kadron horsepower limit? Reply with quote

Yes, Kads can support A LOT of power if you do it right. But as said, if you want a decent idle and lower rpm behaviure you need to chose the cam and set up very carefully.
Jeff @ Kaddieshack did a nice test and write up on the importance of stacks and air cleaner choice here: http://kaddieshack.com/aircleanerdyno.html
He used 44´s for that test.

The out of the box 40 mm Kads will support about 100 hp in a decent set up.
The limitations of the Kads is not the carburettor as such, its the manifolds. They are horrible for any serius performance. Back in 2014 I built a 2110 type 1 with a Web 218/119 cam, ported heads, 40 x 35 mm valves, 9-1, 1,25 rockers etc etc. I used 40 Kads with 34 mm venturies and modded for SVDA run by a Mallory Hyfire CDI. I took a set of stock manifolds and had a friend to weld a full 0,3" on to them, so I could make the manifold shape I wanted. I invested about a days worth of porting and modifying the manifolds. it runs stock type air cleaners, but I also cut up up a set of stacks and had them protrude a little over 1½" into the filter. I also lifted the carburettors ½" with an extension between the manifolds and the carbs. The end result was a Kadron fed engine that ran very reasonable at idle (975 rpm) and went like a bat out of you know where right off idle. The engine pulls a very solid 135 hp at 5500 rpm.
I´m sure they will support 140 hp with more cam and CR. But this is a street driven engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: