Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Here's a little video I made back at the end of winter while I was trying to learn how to fly my drone. Don't worry, it features the bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a-O4sL5j6Q

And here's that same area last week. Very different.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was happy this day...music, a bus, a burrito, and some peace. Lovely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

No work done on the bus this week, although I did purchase a spare accelerator cable for my stash of spares.

Me and the lady are going camping (her family commitments permitting) so I cleaned it out and got it ready.

With my Z-bed down, I bought some foam from a guy who was gutting a tent trailer and cut them to size. On top of that, is another mattress from the same tent trailer. I then covered them in a nice cotton sheet and tucked it tight around the edges. It's actually very comfortable.

Then finished it off with new pillow cases and some scatter cushions (girls love scatter cushions right?)

Loaded up everything else and besides food we are ready to go. Happy weekend everyone!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Nothing like used mattress foam to make an old bus feel like home. Sick

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Here's some pictures from our camping trip this weekend. Temperature was great, and we had a relaxing time. The bus ran great, although it does have a real problem starting again once she's hot, which she was on arrival in the canyon.

We were right by a "babbling brook"...more like the run off from a particularly brutal rain storm a few days earlier...it swept down here and widened the creek, taking boulders and trees with it...but luckily it didn't come over the river bank.

Me and my future wifey.

I know this is a VW site, but dang she's such a woman.

Here,s our little spot, about 3 miles into Santaquin Canyon, Utah.

67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Santaquin canyon looks like a nice place to camp. I havent been up there. I think I need to take the bus and the wife up and check it out. That rain storm was pretty wicked. Im glad you didnt get washed down the canyon.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

67_13Deluxe wrote:
Santaquin canyon looks like a nice place to camp. I havent been up there. I think I need to take the bus and the wife up and check it out. That rain storm was pretty wicked. Im glad you didnt get washed down the canyon.

Thanks man! Before you do a trip up there, beware that there is only this spot, and one other spot for overnights left - about three miles into the canyon the road is closed because the fires last year, heavy snow, and the rains this year have washed THE ROAD AWAY!! It's incredible. The Rangers took some photos and taped them to the Road Closed barriers, it's a pretty significant nightmare, and there are huge cliffs where the roads fell away. Massive damage, and I don't know when they will rebuild - so my point is, it COULD be fruitless if you made the journey. HOWEVER, Payson Canyon is next door and there are lots of spots up there.

Last edited by The Pilch on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Were you guys cooking on the roof? Laughing I could pull it off at 6'5", but you and the wifey may need to use the chair to cook some roof eggs. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Were you guys cooking on the roof? Laughing I could pull it off at 6'5", but you and the wifey may need to use the chair to cook some roof eggs. Laughing

Hahaha, yes we were! We forgot a table to cook on, so we stood up with the sunroof open, that was our most industrious idea! Wifey did have to stand on tippee-toes a little, I did not as I'm 6'3"
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Hahaha, yes we were! We forgot a table to cook on, so we stood up with the sunroof open, that was our most industrious idea! Wifey did have to stand on tippee-toes a little, I did not as I'm 6'3"

Ha, nice. Best view while cooking Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
The Pilch wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Ha, nice. Best view while cooking Cool

I agree! Our little Coleman two burner stove didn't transfer any heat onto the roof, so I'm thinking no harm done here Very Happy
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Just prior to our little trip, the lady went out and set up a tent and chairs in our spot. This isn't the way I prefer to do it, but I am told that Utahn's do this, sometimes weeks in advance, so they are guaranteed a spot. Not my favorite dynamic but it was only the day before so, in reality, it's ok I suppose.

Then, later that day, this weather front loomed in, and dumped the entire Atlantic ocean onto Utah.

And here's what we found when we arrived...chairs gone.....

67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
Just prior to our little trip, the lady went out and set up a tent and chairs in our spot. This isn't the way I prefer to do it, but I am told that Utahn's do this, sometimes weeks in advance, so they are guaranteed a spot. Not my favorite dynamic but it was only the day before so, in reality, it's ok I suppose.

Then, later that day, this weather front loomed in, and dumped the entire Atlantic ocean onto Utah.

And here's what we found when we arrived...chairs gone.....

unfortunately this is common. Take a ride up American fork Canyon past the reservoir. People have their stuff sitting up there to reserve an area. I dont like doing it that way but that seems to be the only way to secure a spot. Thanks for the tip on Santaquin Canyon.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

You bet! ^^^
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

At least your bus wasn’t there when the water came in.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

I love an awesome restoration story... and you Bay guys have some good ones! Very Happy

The Pilch wrote:
I've never liked low back seats in any car, and although moving further away from original, I decided some captains chairs would go in, and I picked a pair of these up which I'm told are from a Vanagon.

Little correction: Those seats may have come out of a Vanagon, but they're from a Dodge minivan. They're Stow-N-Go seats, a popular swap in Vanagonland. And you might want to give this guy https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9143934#9143934 some tips on your install. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
I love an awesome restoration story... and you Bay guys have some good ones! Very Happy

The Pilch wrote:
I've never liked low back seats in any car, and although moving further away from original, I decided some captains chairs would go in, and I picked a pair of these up which I'm told are from a Vanagon.

Little correction: Those seats may have come out of a Vanagon, but they're from a Dodge minivan. They're Stow-N-Go seats, a popular swap in Vanagonland. And you might want to give this guy https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9143934#9143934 some tips on your install. Wink

Super-appreciate the info my good man. My buddy Kris also told me they are the Stow-n-Go's, from a Dodge /Chrysler Smile I've actually posted on that thread already, you can see my comments and there's a pic of the flat bar mounting welded in place too Smile Also confirming these seats are GREAT!!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

It's hot here in Utah this week. And last week, and the week before.....

So I have noticed that the old girl has been having trouble starting, once she's been running a while - granted, a hill climb is 100F will do that....but whatever the reason, I know I have to protect my fresh engine rebuild, so after much reading of you guys' threads regarding preventative measures, I chose to pick up a hot oil gauge and sender.

That little sender will screw into the hole for the oil pressure relief valve, here...

There seems to be much debate on whether this location provides enough of an accurate reading, the experienced guys seem to think there's no difference between this location and teeing from the oil pressure switch - so I'll go with this location and see how accurate it can be as an early warning.

Here's the back of the gauge. None of my dashboard currently has a back light to it, so maybe this is the ideal time to look at that problem. I wonder how to wire this gauge up?

The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

This evening was a nice temperature, so I did as much of the gauge install as I could before it got dark.

Didn't take me long to find switched power. So I took a feed from it, and ran the wires accordingly. Yes, you are correct, I should have wired into the headlight switch, but I didn't do that, so yeah.

Then, where oh where should I mount this gauge? I've never liked a ton of gauges hanging around a cockpit like some pretend racing car, so it took me a minute.....

No no no no!!!!

Oh no that won't do, my knees will destroy that.

There was nothing else for it.....

While I was boring the hole for the gauge with a holesaw and a dremmel, I could clean up the glass lens. I also tested the dashboard lights because they are all out. Turns out I have power to the wires, so those little bulbs are out. I'll have to get some of those.

That's "totally lit", as the kids would say. I wish they wouldn't, though.

Tomorrow, I will run the sender wire (I ran out of daylight so called it a night) and do a test run.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Interesting culture shift. Leaving property at an unmanaged site To claim it most places I’ve camped wouldn’t fly. Be there or move on.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Totaled '71 Sunroof Deluxe, totally came to me! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Interesting culture shift. Leaving property at an unmanaged site To claim it most places I’ve camped wouldn’t fly. Be there or move on.

Interesting for me too, I'm from England, where, should anyone do this, we just want to drive over your tent and set up camp on top of it. But this is Utah and Utahns...well, they have some very odd ways, let me tell you.

The only similarity I can remember is when on a package holiday, the bloody Germans have their beach towels out on all the sunloungers by the pool at 6am, pissing off the entire hotel. But like Utahns, they don't give a fu....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: