Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

Reaching out to the chem experts here (Ray? Jason?), my better half got some industrial food-service quaternary sanitizer leaked out onto leather seat. Any idea on what to do to get it out?

This stuff: MSDS sheet https://www.nasscoinc.com/assets/pdf/CLEAN_QUICK_B...-40_EN.pdf

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I haven’t tried anything as I don’t want to screw it up worse. Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

Are we discussing real dead animal skin?, or a pseudo leather made from space age polymers?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

real dead, tastes-like-hamburger animal. I has to double-check to verify before posting the question. Unfortunately, it’s not synthetic:(
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

if that's dried, I am going to say it's done a few things...one is loosened/altered the fibers in the hide...is that stain smooshy/hard? if so, the pigment probably seeped deeper into the hide. hate to say it, there is no coming back from that

at best you can get someone to re-dye that spot, but it will always have a blemish in the shape of the stain....meaning a hard/soft/raised/depressed spot

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

You can try taping a pad over it and keeping it wet with water, it might eventually dilute the chemical and draw it out, or not, some plastic over the pad will keep it from drying up.

But I agree with Skills, I doubt it's ever going to be exactly like the surrounding area.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
You can try taping a pad over it and keeping it wet with water, it might eventually dilute the chemical and draw it out, or not, some plastic over the pad will keep it from drying up.

But I agree with Skills, I doubt it's ever going to be exactly like the surrounding area.

Thank you both, kinda confirmed my fears. It is dry, didn’t change the texture of the hide, only the appearance. I have occlusive dressings that I can seal over a wet pad to make airtight and see if that draws anything out. If I understood the MDSD correct, it is water soluble so that might improve things.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Thank you both, kinda confirmed my fears. It is dry, didn’t change the texture of the hide, only the appearance. I have occlusive dressings that I can seal over a wet pad to make airtight and see if that draws anything out. If I understood the MDSD correct, it is water soluble so that might improve things.

Can't hurt to try (unless Ray comes along and shoots that idea down in flames), maybe after it's almost gone you can re dye that seat to even out the color?
You might want to ask a few high end detail shops, what happens when the second or third trophy wife spills her $2K a bottle fragrance or wrinkle cream on a seat in the new supercar?, they likely have some creative ways of dealing with mystery spots on genuine leather. Wink
You may not be able to afford their services, but bring some donuts and they may loosen up with a few insider tips for the DIY'r.

Слава Україні!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

Go to Autogeek.net and post on the form there with photos before you do anything
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

Quote:
Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician if you feel unwell
IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin
with water/shower
IF INHALED: Remove to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing

I would not want to sit on that if it is a seat.

Ray will know more but those chemical descriptions from the MSDS look like chloride salts of Ammonia to me. If so you might be able to get a wet vac, rubber gloves, build a dam with a towel laying in saran wrap, and use a little water at a time to dissolve the salts and the vac to pull the water and salts off. Let dry a while and do it again. According to the MSDS water is used to dilute it it gets in the eyes etc, and wiki labels salts of ammonia and chlorine as highly dissolvable in water. Use distilled water so not to add minerals. The hard part may be getting all out that has sunk into the leather. If someone sweats and touches it, any remaining chemical may burn their skin according to the MSDS. Neutralize probably with a small touch of baking soda and water when done because ammonia-chlorine salts are mildly acidic.

You can also call the company that makes it and ask them.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin
with water/shower
IF INHALED: Remove to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing

Ray will know more but those chemical descriptions from the MSDS look like chloride salts of Ammonia to me. If so you might be able to get a wet vac, rubber gloves, build a dam with a towel laying in saran wrap, and use a little water at a time to dissolve the salts and the vac to pull the water and salts off. Let dry a while and do it again. According to the MSDS water is used to dilute it it gets in the eyes etc, and wiki labels salts of ammonia and chlorine as highly dissolvable in water. Use distilled water so not to add minerals. The hard part may be getting all out that has sunk into the leather. If someone sweats and touches it, any remaining chemical may burn their skin according to the MSDS. Neutralize probably with a small touch of baking soda and water when done because ammonia-chlorine salts are mildly acidic.

I agree...you dont really want to sit and sweat on that. The main ingredient and some of the sub-ingredients...mainly benzyl dimethyl ammonium chloride...and other chlorides....salts= corrosive ....lots of other chemical synonym names.

It can cause skin burns. Doing some quick reading of that chemical family they do not absorb that well into water so water alone is not excellent for getting it out. But...you will notice from the SDS sheet that ethanol is in it. Thats because it dissolves very well in ethanol.

The whole product is listed as a corrosive in the SDS...but states the PH is only 6-8...which is not corrosive. But....as the chemical dries and separates out....the individual chemicals are most likely corrosive.

So find some ethanol (not any other kindof alcohol)....I would try about 50% ethanol with distilled water. Add just a little white vinegar to bring the PH down to slightly acidic ...maybe 5 PH.

Let it soak a little and blot it off...repeat. So where do you get ethanol?...liquor store. Get the smallest bottle of ever clear or similar. You may be able to get it at home depot.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Quote:
with water/shower

I agree...you dont really want to sit and sweat on that. The main ingredient and some of the sub-ingredients...mainly benzyl dimethyl ammonium chloride...and other chlorides....salts= corrosive ....lots of other chemical synonym names.

It can cause skin burns. Doing some quick reading of that chemical family they do not absorb that well into water so water alone is not excellent for getting it out. But...you will notice from the SDS sheet that ethanol is in it. Thats because it dissolves very well in ethanol.

The whole product is listed as a corrosive in the SDS...but states the PH is only 6-8...which is not corrosive. But....as the chemical dries and separates out....the individual chemicals are most likely corrosive.

So find some ethanol (not any other kindof alcohol)....I would try about 50% ethanol with distilled water. Add just a little white vinegar to bring the PH down to slightly acidic ...maybe 5 PH.

Let it soak a little and blot it off...repeat. So where do you get ethanol?...liquor store. Get the smallest bottle of ever clear or similar. You may be able to get it at home depot.
Ray

Thank you, Ray. I greatly appreciate your input, and have always held you in high regard for your knowledge and willingness to assist everyone. It's people like you, Busdaddy, Aeromech, SGKent, Notchboy, Skills, Clatter, etc. that make the Samba an awesome community.

Last edited by ImAddicted on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

thanks!

By the way...no guarantee on this one. Hopefully all I can say is that maybe you can neutralize it this way. I fear that skills is right that you may take some of the dye out with it.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

Follow up - Everclear with a little white vinegar worked pretty well. There’s some slight discoloration still as suspected but significantly less than there was, can see it if know where to look in certain light. Thank you all for the input.
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning experts - stain removal from leather Reply with quote

try to wipe it out with baby oil. I had a lot of success with all kind of greasy stains.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: