Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Factory style airbox option for SVX or other swap, w/ snorkel.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Factory style airbox option for SVX or other swap, w/ snorkel. Reply with quote

I think I discovered an uncharted airbox that works well with engine swaps, it works especially well with the SVX swap and you'll see why. The airbox is from a 3.0 liter Nissan Altima or Infinity I30 and fits in the cubby behind the tail light, well out of the way. It also lends itself easily to attaching the snorkel. Here is a short video I made explaining the mods to the box and showing the fitment.

Link

The main goals were to utilize a stock style paper filter for superior dust filtration, better noise deadening characteristics as compared to a cone filter, and last to utilize the snorkel for cleaner air to the engine. Also to note I spent only $50 and another $10 on an air filter for the box portion of the setup.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory style airbox option for SVX or other swap, w/ snorkel. Reply with quote

Sweet very nice. I find myself laying on the floor at times as well.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Factory style airbox option for SVX or other swap, w/ snorkel. Reply with quote

You rotated the air box on its side and closed all holes.
Look at any factory air box, they will have a hole on the bottom before the paper air filer.
This is a drain to let any water out, should it get in the intake.

I suggest you add a drain hole before your filter too.
I know its not easy finding something that fits well, but removing the entire assembly to check/change the air filter is a drawback for me.
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Factory style airbox option for SVX or other swap, w/ snorkel. Reply with quote

The thought of adding a drain had crossed my mind, but then escaped it. Thanks for the reminder, I will be sure to add one. It takes a 10mm wrench and a few minutes to get the airbox in a position where the filter can be checked. There is enough slinky action in the snorkel component so that it doesn't have to be disconnected to change the filter.

I didn't initially set out to make my own, I was looking at the traditional options. I was considering the Peterson air box, but to mount one up for the proper displacement would have been been impossible with the SVX in place. I also considered the RMW box but have heard about fitment issues with those in that they protrude too far into the engine bay and require some modifications to clear the engine. I wasn't going to pay that much for something I was going to potentially have to hack at to work. And even still that box takes a filter from a 2.2. So potentially less air flow.

Swaps are swaps, and will never be as well considered as factory engineering. (though in some ways exceeding it!) I think what I've got is a decent option.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: