Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpoulterer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

So I bought a 73 camper with a type 4 2.0 engine that came with cylinder heads with the three bolt configuration. Everything else seems to work for my rebuild except for the gasket for the cylinder head. Does anyone know where I can get this gasket?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

Ooh.

Nice heads....expensive heads.....those are Porsche 914 2.0L onlybut on a bus that is prone to overheating they may be at even more of a risk for cracking.

Part # 039 129 707 at automobile Atlanta
http://autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/914.php

About $8 each. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpoulterer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

Found them. Thanks.

Last edited by mpoulterer on Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mpoulterer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

Nice heads....expensive heads.....those are Porsche 914 2.0L only but on a bus that is prone to overheating they may be at even more of a risk for cracking.

Would a remote oil cooler solve this problem?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

Get an Exacto knife and a roll of high temp gasket material and cut your own, they just seal vacuum.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

we always have plenty of the 039129707 intake blocks in stock
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

mpoulterer wrote:
Nice heads....expensive heads.....those are Porsche 914 2.0L only but on a bus that is prone to overheating they may be at even more of a risk for cracking.

Not really. Its not about oil temps it about head temps.

The 914 2.0L heads had the best combustion chamber shape and volume and plug angle. They made more hp than the rest of the head designs. But....they were prone to cracking if an when they got repeatedly overheated... due to the casting shape even when pushing around a 2000+ lb small car like the 914.

Its something to keep an eye on. What else do you know about the engine? case number?

On the other hand....looking carefully at your picture...see the two spots on either side of the center stud? Are those just dirt marks from the two open holes that were not used on a normal four bolt gasket?.......or have the original two studs been removed and the holes been filled"

On one hand...Those look like...just from the picture...that they may have been four bolt heads with the studs just cut off and a center stud installed...because someone wanted to install a larger set of 914 2.0L fuel injection runners on.

I have even done that mod myself.

On the third hand....those heads have teh rocker box vent tubes...lower right hand corner of your picture.

So this marks them as heads that came with D-jet injection...so they were either actual Porsche 2.0L heads...or they are 1.7L heads from a 411/412/Porsche 914 that have had the three stud mod done to them.

Easy way to tell is read the part # inside of the rocker box and post it here. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

Purchased a crated 914 2.0L - disassembled for repair. Dropped a seat and toasted a 3bolt head- it was in a bus.
. Have recently found a pair of reportedly unmolested 3bolt heads. Won’t be going in a bus, I tell you whut.

Are there ways of increasing head cooling?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

the factory cooling was perfectly sufficient for a stock engine, yet too many remove sheet metal, the bellows flaps, engine bay sealing gaskets, and block the flow of air to the fan. All of these things make the engine cook
mpoulterer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
mpoulterer wrote:

Not really. Its not about oil temps it about head temps.

The 914 2.0L heads had the best combustion chamber shape and volume and plug angle. They made more hp than the rest of the head designs. But....they were prone to cracking if an when they got repeatedly overheated... due to the casting shape even when pushing around a 2000+ lb small car like the 914.

Its something to keep an eye on. What else do you know about the engine? case number?

On the other hand....looking carefully at your picture...see the two spots on either side of the center stud? Are those just dirt marks from the two open holes that were not used on a normal four bolt gasket?.......or have the original two studs been removed and the holes been filled"

On one hand...Those look like...just from the picture...that they may have been four bolt heads with the studs just cut off and a center stud installed...because someone wanted to install a larger set of 914 2.0L fuel injection runners on.

I have even done that mod myself.

On the third hand....those heads have teh rocker box vent tubes...lower right hand corner of your picture.

So this marks them as heads that came with D-jet injection...so they were either actual Porsche 2.0L heads...or they are 1.7L heads from a 411/412/Porsche 914 that have had the three stud mod done to them.

Easy way to tell is read the part # inside of the rocker box and post it here. Ray

Sorry to confuse you. I just pulled this picture from somewhere online because my bus engine is in 1000's of parts about an hour from me. When I get out there I'll snap some pictures and post them.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
the factory cooling was perfectly sufficient for a stock engine, yet too many remove sheet metal, the bellows flaps, engine bay sealing gaskets, and block the flow of air to the fan. All of these things make the engine cook

Yes...agree!....But also remember....for a stock engine in a stock car. This is not to say the stock cooling system is not excellent for a greater/hotter than stock car.

Just that as you increase output you have to get even more careful on tuning, fueling, camshafts exhaust etc....to keep the heat in the stock system manageable.

To be more clear about the 2.0 head issues....they worked excellently with the stock cooling system. There is no need to do anything to it....just do it correctly.

The problem is the 2.0 914 casting itself. No its not defective. No they are not weak. It has some critical crack prone areas due to the changes made in combustion chamber and plug angle....the things that made it a great head.

The problem is that being the sportier version of the 914...these engines were worked harder...usually. If they got overheated repeatedly over time....from a combination of driving habits, poor cleaning and maintenance....and more importantly poor maintenance of fuel and ignition by their owners.....they were prone to cracking in several places.

Now cut to teh fact that virtually all of them are pushing 45 years old...and add to the fact that in this thread they are not going into an engine in a 2000 lb sports car but into a 4000 lb bus....and buses are notorious for running hotter with the load.....you are going to run some risks.

Add to this...if you are building a "bus style/spec" engine...meaning lower compression...larger deck...different cam...lower gearing....you are going to run a few more risks with these heads.

Doe this mean they are not good heads for a bus engine? No it does not mean that. The right combo they could be killer.

BUT...at 45 years old now about 75% of these heads need serious work .We are talking all new seats, guides, valves and welding up any cracks....and those 75% usually all have cracks.

Because they are sought after by 914 guys....I would sell them if they are in good shape. But...if you really want 914 2.0L heads...I would buy new castings for them and have your heads built. The 2.0L 914 casting is available again. Ray
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

amen brother!

raygreenwood wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Yes...agree!....But also remember....for a stock engine in a stock car. This is not to say the stock cooling system is not excellent for a greater/hotter than stock car.

Just that as you increase output you have to get even more careful on tuning, fueling, camshafts exhaust etc....to keep the heat in the stock system manageable.

To be more clear about the 2.0 head issues....they worked excellently with the stock cooling system. There is no need to do anything to it....just do it correctly.

The problem is the 2.0 914 casting itself. No its not defective. No they are not weak. It has some critical crack prone areas due to the changes made in combustion chamber and plug angle....the things that made it a great head.

The problem is that being the sportier version of the 914...these engines were worked harder...usually. If they got overheated repeatedly over time....from a combination of driving habits, poor cleaning and maintenance....and more importantly poor maintenance of fuel and ignition by their owners.....they were prone to cracking in several places.

Now cut to teh fact that virtually all of them are pushing 45 years old...and add to the fact that in this thread they are not going into an engine in a 2000 lb sports car but into a 4000 lb bus....and buses are notorious for running hotter with the load.....you are going to run some risks.

Add to this...if you are building a "bus style/spec" engine...meaning lower compression...larger deck...different cam...lower gearing....you are going to run a few more risks with these heads.

Doe this mean they are not good heads for a bus engine? No it does not mean that. The right combo they could be killer.

BUT...at 45 years old now about 75% of these heads need serious work .We are talking all new seats, guides, valves and welding up any cracks....and those 75% usually all have cracks.

Because they are sought after by 914 guys....I would sell them if they are in good shape. But...if you really want 914 2.0L heads...I would buy new castings for them and have your heads built. The 2.0L 914 casting is available again. Ray
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

How did this thread get HighJacked to overheating from Gaskets?
mpoulterer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

As I've been listening to everything that's being said, I'm starting to think that the best thing would be to replace the engine and start with something that would run cooler.

Does anyone know how much money I could get for this engine if it is running? The more I research, the more I hear that this engine is probably worth something to 914 enthusiasts (which is where it seems to belong.) Another important thing to note is that the pistons were replaced with 103mm pistons. They did this before I bought it, but I have just dropped $$$ to buy new ones because they were shot!

I know that probably isn't enough info, but if someone has an idea of the range that I would be able to get, so I could start to think seriously about my next step, I'd appreciate it.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Bolt Cylinder Head Gasket Reply with quote

Look in the classifieds on this site under Porsche for 914 engines or heads wanted or for sale and you might get an idea of what it might be worth compared to what another motor might cost you. You may want to just sell the heads and buy the correct heads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: