Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve noise problem.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

I've got a 1600 AH engine that I rebuilt the top end on, new pistons, rings, cylinders, cylinder heads, rocker shafts, modified rocker arms and new thick aluminum push rods, nothing high performance at all. It always had some valve noise no matter what adjusters I used and currently I have the porsche style on there. I asked about this before and it was recommended that I set lash to loose zero which I did. The engine is quiet on start up and for the first few minutes of operation and then I'm getting valve clatter from the left side only. I've checked adjustment cold and it's right where I set it, nothing is loose at all. I've pulled all of the sheet metal and re-torqued the cylinder heads and I still get the same thing. It doesn't seem excessive but it's definitely audible while driving and at idle. So the bottom line is I have a nice quiet engine on start up and for the first few minutes of operation and then I get valve noise from one side. It would seem that as things get hotter they get bigger. Maybe I should just live with it.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

so check it hot and see if its excessive....many times valve train noise isnt from the lash at all, its from the rocker arm sliding back and forth on the shaft ....with stock rockers this is controlled by the spring washers on the shafts....as they wear thinner they lose their tension and allow the rockers to slap back and forth....with "solid shaft" setups you have to juggle the shims or add more to get the right clearance to keep everything quiet....and with aluminum pushrods go back to stock lash settings....and double check your exhaust...an exhaust leak can sound a lot like a valve tap
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

I woulkdent go more than .002" less than what the cam calls for on lash. and set the rocker side play about .002~.004" and it should be quiet. if you dont have "solid" rocker shafts that are adjustable... get them.DO NOT use serated valve spring shims to set side play!!!!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

It does not take a lot of side play on a solid rocker shaft to clatter.
By setting the lash quite low ypu are probably encouraging the rockers to push harder sideways against the shims on the shaft as they warm up.

If you havent properly sideways shimmed the rockers with the Porsche style adjusters, they can go over centre on the valve stems and try to go down the sides of the valve stem.
I lost one that way.

Which is not good. So I would shim the rockers so the adjusters are pretty central on the valve stems, and side play is small.
. And set lash loose zero when it is warmed up, that after all is what the stock cold .006 is aiming at - about zero warmed up with aluminium push rods. It does not matter how thick they are, its the rate of expansion of the metal.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

Actually, there isn't that much margin you can move the rocker along the shaft, if you're using the ones with oil grooves.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Actually, there isn't that much margin you can move the rocker along the shaft, if you're using the ones with oil grooves.
why si that??? the rocker is wide the groove is narrow...lotsa room to move rocker .060"I kinda doubt a rocker needs to move more than .030 anyway. the groove location is a non issue.but the right side play is...008 or more can be quite noisey, and .002 can be quite quiet. and try to have atleast 2 shims on the thrust side of all rockers.( thrust side is rearward...toward the rear bumper if you dont know what rear ward is.) try to use hard thick shims.if you can bend the shim it's junk dont use it. if you need to use a thin hard shim it needs to be in between 2 hard shims that are .030" or thicker. you can use thin hard shims down to .004" on the non thrust side as they take very little load but they need to be between 2 hard shims min thickness of .015".on the non thrust side( toward the front bumper,unless you have a mid engine/ front engine car) I do like my adjusters centered as well as lashcaps.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

Stupid questions that fit here:
Oil flow to the head is lifter bore to lifter, lifter to pushrod, pushrod to rocker, rocker shaft and on through to adjuster threads. Does the oil travel around the threads to get to top of valve? I’m about to install elephant foot adjusters and want to make sure oiling is sufficient.
I’m running aluminum pushrods at ‘loose zero’. Notation with elephants foot adjusters says ‘needs valve lash or won’t get sufficient oil and will gall quickly’.
Can I run these AND ‘loose zero’ adjustment?
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
Stupid questions that fit here:
Oil flow to the head is lifter bore to lifter, lifter to pushrod, pushrod to rocker, rocker shaft and on through to adjuster threads. Does the oil travel around the threads to get to top of valve? I’m about to install elephant foot adjusters and want to make sure oiling is sufficient.
I’m running aluminum pushrods at ‘loose zero’. Notation with elephants foot adjusters says ‘needs valve lash or won’t get sufficient oil and will gall quickly’.
Can I run these AND ‘loose zero’ adjustment?

You only run chromoly or steel pushrods at loose zero, aluminum pushrods expand with the engine expansion correctly as the factory intended. Chromoly or steel do not which is why we run them at loose zero.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

Gaaaa, long day! I am running the steel adjustable pushrods! Too many hours in a hot shop today.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

I once rebuilt a 1600 top end with 1mm (0.004") deck that was fine cold but when it warmed up the piston just kissed the head. It sounded pretty much like valve noise. No damage but the piston crown was super clean where it hit.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

@ Liquid.
Set your lash to .006 with the aluminum push rods.
BTW, elephant feet do clatter as do swivel ball.
And. What do you mean by “modified rocker arms”?
Are they ratio’d or just oil mods?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

Jeffrey, I screwed up. Steel pushrods installed at loose zero. Got answer from John@ ACN and there is enough lash hot to not worry about it. Thanks.
Not sure where I said modified rockers?

liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

When I overhauled the engine I machined the rocker arms at the valve end so that the larger adjusters would fit in and I think I have one shim under each of the pedestals. I also cut the oil groove as others had suggested. It's nice and quiet cold. I bought some .010 shims and will double check the rockershafts for rocker arm side lash this weekend.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

I bet you have a rod bearing talking to you.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

I agree with Scott.

Brian
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise problem. Reply with quote

Top end only rebuild? Why? How many miles on the bottom?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: