Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

autostick top end speed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

I got into a discussion about this over on vwar, figured I might post it here.
About 7-8 years ago I had my original 69 autostick tranny (001-301-103) swapped for one I found for cheap on CL, the replacement however is a later version (001-301-103A):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe VW swapped to this one around 71, same year as the dual ports first came out.
With the original transmission I have fond memories of cruising on the interstate at 80mph with no problem during my high school days back in the 80s (and that was with the original 1500cc still installed!) But ever since I had the new tranny installed it seems like it has more trouble at that speed like it struggles to hold it. My first thought was that the later transmission has a different final drive that's affecting the top end so I just did some research-- and it does have a different FD ratio but it's LOWER (4.125:1 vs the 4.375:1 in the original tranny) which means it should maintain 80 MORE easily, not less.
So is it just a simple mismatch between my 1600 single port and the current transmission?

Also I just drained the gear oil out-- since this is a later autostick it does not have the single drain plug up front and you jut pull the whole pan to drain the oil:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is it OK for me to just leave the drain pan off like this until I can source a new gasket?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:40 pm; edited 9 times in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

P.S. In case anyone missed my sig line I am running a genuine Solex 30 PICT 3 and a genuine Bosch AE autostick distributor so I don't think the problem is related to poor parts quality. Wink

1600 SP engine
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Don't the old Owner's Manuals state like 78MPH for the ASS? Of course that's with the original tall skinny bias ply tires, modern shorter radials change the effective final drive ratio and top speed.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Don't the old Owner's Manuals state like 78MPH for the ASS? Of course that's with the original tall skinny bias ply tires, modern shorter radials change the effective final drive ratio and top speed.

Actually the early autosticks say 74.5. Very Happy

Tell my high school buddies that who were scared to death riding with me...

1600 SP engine
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Sorry, but I bought the last gasket at FCPeuro for $2.95. evwparts has them for about $17. Buy one, and then get some gasket paper from your FLAPS to make your own in the future always using the real one as your template. Or, if your old one is in one piece, then you can use it as a template.

The draining plate can stay off as long as you are not worried about anything crawling up in your differential. Tape a cereal box over it if you are concerned. Note that gear oil will continue to drip for months.

A lower gear ratio will increase top speed for any given engine rpm, but the higher gear ratio might have been easier to spin allowing your engine rpms to be higher for your old trans than your new. But I'm just guessing here, I haven't compared them directly.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Sorry, but I bought the last gasket at FCPeuro for $2.95. evwparts has them for about $17.

https://www.mofoco.com/item/001_301_139A_Automatic_Transmission_Pan_Gasket/3549/c47

They also have the original 12 point VW torque converter bolts with the tapered ends, MUCH easier install IMO:

https://www.mofoco.com/item/VW_Torque_Converter_Bolts_Used_All_Autostick_T2_T3_Fully_Auto/2970

Tom K. wrote:
The draining plate can stay off as long as you are not worried about anything crawling up in your differential. Tape a cereal box over it if you are concerned. Note that gear oil will continue to drip for months.

I left a pan under it, just wasn't sure if the internals being exposed to the elements would cause any problems. (P. S. -- I just looked at that photo again that I took, that's a lot of gear oil leaking out around that opening! Shocked )

Tom K. wrote:
A lower gear ratio will increase top speed for any given engine rpm, but the higher gear ratio might have been easier to spin allowing your engine rpms to be higher for your old trans than your new. But I'm just guessing here, I haven't compared them directly.

Yeah, I just can't really figure it out- it's probably not worth worrying about TBH as I'm never going that fast, I'm just curious more than anything why it might be.

1600 SP engine
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

SB - I know you have been fighting with a vacuum issue recently, those can reduce the effective top-end power. Also as Tom mentioned, the lower FD does require more power at the higher speeds to maintain.

The one area I havent seen much discussion on is the ATF pump wear. The motor oil portion of the pump will produce less oil pressure as it wears. I would assume the ATF part does as well. If the pressure drops over the years, I wonder what the effect of lower ATF pressure at the TC does to overall performance? Is it also possible the TC is wearing, causing it to be less functional at the higher speeds?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

I've never seen any stats about the ATF pump, but I suspect that VW over-designed it so that even with lots of wear it would still be able to feed the torque converter at full hydrolock.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Andy - Do you know of any literature on the TC? Does it have a locking feature and what RPM it would engage? Besides knowing they switch to a "new" design around late 73-early 74, I have found almost nothing technical on them.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Wow. Next you might be telling me that Mofoco has neutral safety switches for less than $100! I just broke mine putting it back in. Threads pooped right off. Ugh.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

JonRich55 wrote:
Andy - Do you know of any literature on the TC? Does it have a locking feature and what RPM it would engage? Besides knowing they switch to a "new" design around late 73-early 74, I have found almost nothing technical on them.

The pump never locks, it's just a supply feeder. No "lock" in the pump. I used the term "hydrolock" above, which was shorthand for hydraulic lock, which is exactly what the torque converter does when it gets up to certain RPM. The pump just needs to keep enough fluid going to ensure the torque converter can maintain the hydrolock. I did a little bit of looking just now but I'm not seeing specs for flow on the ATF pump, but that does not mean it doesn't exist.

JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Andy - I know the "pump" never locks, I was referring to the TC. I thought there were some TCs that did not have a hydrolock, and was curious as to how the VW one was setup. If it does have a hydrolock, i was also curious as to what the RPM was that put it into that state.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

I think all torque converters lock up once they reach their design RPM. That speed is your question, of course. The Service Manual says this "stall speed" at which torque multiplication fades to a lock is between 2000 and 2250 RPM.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

I drive mine at 60 to 65 all the time. It's a 1500 as well.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Wow. Next you might be telling me that Mofoco has neutral safety switches for less than $100! I just broke mine putting it back in. Threads pooped right off. Ugh.

Tom if you need a NSS I can just send you the one off my spare tranny I have sitting in the garage.
If the time ever comes when I need to swap trannies again I can just swap the NSS on my existing tranny over with it.

1600 SP engine
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

Someone was asking me the other day if they could just bypass the neutral safety switch. I've heard this was possible.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I drive mine at 60 to 65 all the time. It's a 1500 as well.

Yeah mine doesn't have any problem at 60-65. It really starts to struggle at anything above that though, which it doesn't seem like it used to do with the original tranny. I have to assume the posts above are true about my 1600 single port not having quite enough power to maintain the spin of the lower gear ratio of the current FD at top end.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Someone was asking me the other day if they could just bypass the neutral safety switch. I've heard this was possible.

My car had the gear shifter ground wire bypassed straight to the control valve for years (the mechanic my dad used to take the car to did this for some reason.) My understanding is the reason that shifter ground wire passes through the neutral safety switch is so that the clutch doesn't re-engage when the gear shifter is passing through neutral from one gear to another-it temporarily keeps the signal grounded so the clutch stays disengaged. However with the NSS bypassed I never noticed any ill effects- shifting acted the same as it always had.

As far as the starter wire passing through that switch, bypassing that just means you can start the car in gear AFAIK.

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
JonRich55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

I believe you just take the two leads marked (50) of the NSS and couple them together.

SB - Did the reduced top end happen immediately after you switched transmissions?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: autostick top end speed Reply with quote

JonRich55 wrote:
I believe you just take the two leads marked (50) of the NSS and couple them together.

SB - Did the reduced top end happen immediately after you switched transmissions?

Honestly it's hard to tell because I did not drive the car for several years after the engine was swapped out (the original 1500cc caught fire in summer of 1990, while I was driving it!) It sat in the garage for about 5 years before my folks decided to get it fixed. (Probably the closest they've ever come to selling the thing.) But I was away at college during that time so it was probably another 12 years or so before I took ownership of it. When I got it, it still had the orignial transmission in it, but it would immediately pop out of Drive 1 back into neutral. I had found this other later tranny on CL a short time before and just had it swapped. After that was the first time I ever tried to get it up to 75-80 and noiticed it didn't like it.

P.S. Yes if your switch is bad or broken, you can just connect the two 50 terminals together to bypass it to start the car.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: