Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can-Am style Fiberglass body
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

I sent you a couple messages via Samba
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

Looks like they used Ford Maverick tailights .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

Ford Maverick tail lights
Dodge Charger fuel cap
Datsun windshield looks like a Datsun 1500
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

I picked up a 68 doner it has been sitting for about 10 years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

I got the body on and set at the rear and found out that something is not right
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

the rear body bulkhead does not line up with the bulkhead on the pan

Last edited by halfassleatherworks on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

If i line up the bulkheads the rear tires are way out

Last edited by halfassleatherworks on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

the front lines up fairly close
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

kinda looks like a Mad Max car

Last edited by halfassleatherworks on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

with the extra room at the rear i may go mid eng

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

It would seem like the chassis needs to be shortened as mentioned in the magazine article.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

it calls for 14.5" when you line up the tires and fenders its moves the bulkhead of the body way forward to the foot well in front of were the rear seat is. in the pic that is were the battery would have been at.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

Yes chassis is a wee bit long....

Measure twice cut once....If you get it right the first time build is a lot easier....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

top pic is with the body set over the front tires .
bottom pic is with the rear fenders and tires centered.
23" - 14.5" = 8.5 " gap
It is going to make a short cab

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

You need to move the front end back. Measure the distance from the end of the master cylinder to the front beam and take some out there. I know a guy who built a custom on a 24" shortened pan and never though about driving position. It's painful watching him drive the car and there is no way I can physically get in his car, and it has no roof.........

Honestly at this point I'd start thinking about a tube frame to put that body on. It will be less work square tube for the basic floor is easy to work with. Buy a set of beam clamps and a 2.25" hole saw to cope them into the chassis tubes with. Then you can mount pedals far forward with the master at the beam and get some leg room in the car.

D a search for "tube chassis" in the gallery section and see what others have done, it will give you some ideas.

The first page or 2 or my race car build might give you some ideas. ignore all the race stuff and use a torsion housing in the rear. and you'll want to make it a bit wider too Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687219&highlight=

brad
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

well i went out and put a block in it for a seat and your right, my knees are bent above the dash and the dash is only about 1 foot from the pedals so looks like a tube frame, and I may have to cut the body anyway, I just need to decide on what I will use for the engine and trans, have a complete 1.8 type 2 eng with a automatic, a complete type 3 single port with a automatic, and the 68 swing axle. decisions decisions.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
.... 24" shortened pan ...

That's what my pan is, actually 24.5" shorten'd, resulting in 70" wheelbase; and, very cramp'd seating area. After almost 10 years of driving with steering wheel between knees, I moved pedal cluster 5" forward, made it pretty comfy for me at just 5'-7" tall.

Mini-Camaro shell mounts such that passenger cab backwall butts up against rear torsion tube ends:

Built my seat backrest as far rearward as possible:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

update been a few months but I did get a titled 69 T1 pan to use. decide to use a set of wheels I had laying around 76 to 82 Corvette wheels. with adaptors, 225/60/15 on the front and 275/60/15 on the rear. will have more updates ,but first things first the wifes Bug comes first.

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
biggraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

Looks similar to this!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

From the front fenders rearward, the body shape reminds me of the Hot Wheels "Jackrabbit" but without the roll bar.

Wishing you perseverence and enjoyment working on the car, to offset your illness.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: