Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can-Am style Fiberglass body
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

thank you for the kind thought,

unfortunately all of my projects are on hold.

I am having to rebuild the two slides in a 5th wheel trailer I got and
remodel it so I can rent it out. only able to work about 2 to 3 hours
a day when I do work on it. its going slow.

back to the build, does anybody have any idea as to the change in camber and toe in the rear IRS, from when the tire moves from the full down to full rise,
I am going to use a type 3 IRS.
the reason is I am thinking about rotating the torsion tube to lower the rear of the frame and it may work for a mid engine with IRS.
to much time to think. Embarassed

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

with regret I am selling the Pegasus Body. here is the link to the Add

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2463921

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

Well after 2 !/2 years I am Back from the Dead literally. Hospital stay in Dec.21, then Jan 22 for Chemo, then in Sep 22 went in for Chemo and was sent to the ER for kidney failure. after that Chemo every 3 weeks to November, Cancer would not stop growing. My spleen had grown to 30 CM in length and nothing left to do., then the Doctors set me up with Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City Ut in December. In January 23 I went in for a new treatment Called Car-T therapy and spent a Month in the hospital . I don't remember January one of the side side effects of Car-T. and my July Pet scan confirms that the Cancer is GONE. I will be going back in January 24 for another scan hopeful it comes back negative . as for my project it did not sell, so I have started. I rebuilt the 1800 Type 4 Eng. and grafted a Type 3 rear torsion bar for a Automatic to the 69 type 1 pan. I will get Pics up soon, but my mind is still a little slow and I forget things and just go blank so I have to go back and recheck things like not torquing the rod bolts and heads. I will post again soon Chris Peterson.

Last edited by halfassleatherworks on Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

I got some Pics of the grafted Type 3 rear torsion bar for the Automatic to the 69 type 1 pan. I have some fillin work to do yet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

halfassleatherworks wrote:
Well after 2 !/2 years I am Back from the Dead literally. Hospital stay in Dec.21, then Jan 22 for Chemo, then in Sep 22 went in for Chemo and was sent to the ER for kidney failure. after that Chemo every 3 weeks to November, Cancer would not stop growing. My spleen had grown to 30 CM in length and nothing left to do., then the Doctors set me up with Huntsman Cancer Institute in Salt Lake City Ut in December. In January 23 I went in for a new treatment Called Car-T and spent a Month in the hospital . I don't remember January one of the side side effects of Car-T. and my July Pet scan confirms that the Cancer is GONE. I will be going back in January 24 for another scan hopeful it comes back negative . as for my project it did not sell, so I have started. I rebuilt the 1800 Type 4 Eng. and grafted a Type 3 rear torsion bar for the Automatic to the 69 type 1 pan. I will get Pics up soon, but my mind is still a little slow and I forget things and just go blank so I have to go back and recheck things like not torquing the rod bolts and heads. I will post again soon Chris Peterson.

Holy Shit this is really exciting! The recovery, although the car is cool too. Laughing I literally felt my heart start racing with the results of your scan. Wild how a one paragraph post can swing so hard like that. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Carpe Diem Chris. Awesome. Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

thanks. It is good still being on top of the ground.

halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

I split the pan again and took out another 2 1/2 " from the back half to center up the wheels better with the body

I plan on using these wide wheels to keep with the Can-Am group 7 theme of big back tires 295/50/15, but will have to cut and reset the back spacing.

a better look at the inside of the tunnel with the type 3 grafted in someone put the square tube in and I just let it stay

I put 2 1/2 lower spindles on the front, and took out the top torsion springs maybe I should have taken out the bottom instead.

pulled the torsion springs on the rear and set them about a 1/2 " above the stops. for mock up.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

On my buggies, I pull the top springs, replace them with a bar to act as a sway bar, and put an adjuster in the bottom tube to be able to fine tune the ride height. It's easier to access the bottom tube than the top.
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
On my buggies, I pull the top springs, replace them with a bar to act as a sway bar, and put an adjuster in the bottom tube to be able to fine tune the ride height. It's easier to access the bottom tube than the top.

On this I used a front trailing arm thru rod.

My concern with not using the upper bar instead of the lower is it pulls on the bottom ball joints instead of pressing down on them.

would using the OE top springs and replacing the center grub screw lock down Cutting it out work as a sway bar ?

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

I never though about it but on a balljoint front end you are right, all the weight would be bourne by the lowers which are in tension. Mine have all been link pin.

Yes using the leaves and cutting out the center holder would act as a sway bar, just not as effectively as a solid bar.
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

well after 5 days bound to my bed for back pain, I got out today and put the body on the pan and got some Pics,

tires are lined up and headlight bucket will clear

dash is more like a foot cover will need to do something

I took back some of the barn I built for the wife some 17 years ago

looks like this body was inspired by the McLaren M6

I need to install the trans and eng and start the frame mockup.

halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

well another 5 days of back and hip pain. I got out today and got the automatic trans installed.

and no the center mount was there when i got it.

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

Looks like you've achieved a good fit with body on pan.

halfassleatherworks wrote:
... dash is more like a foot cover will need to do something

You could use a separate panel, like what I built using a Fiero dash:

It puts knobs at fingertips and instruments located where easy to read:

Plus, it can be removed for work on bench:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

That is something to think about, on page 1 in the Pics that BL3Manx posted. you can see that the dash and steering wheel set way to far forward I will have to cross that bridge when I get there.

halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

I got the Motor in and now for the fun part mockup.

I have all the room I need to make a frame and engine cage.

I plan on incorporating a full roll bar and side cages to the front end
and the Type3 Body mounts and the shock towers for mid mount
and the type 2 eng bar.

halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

Well been a few weeks and no progress, I did order some pulleys so I can lift the body off the pan. I was going to go out today and install them but after my trip to Salt Lake to the cancer center for my 1 year check up. Sunday drive to SL, tests Monday and drive back Tuesday, Doctor appointment yesterday and a IVIG infusion. I woke up to 3 degrees and this.

So I will stay in and and make dog collars.

O and My Scans and test came back negative so the Cancer is still in remission and no sign of it. my February oncology visit, I was told come back in 4 months next Pet Scan will be in July. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can-Am style Fiberglass body Reply with quote

I don't care what they say about Chemo Brain it does not go away, I lose track of time the most, and have a hard time thinking. that said. I did get some work on the pan started and the floor is laid out and tacked in.

I cut the outside lip off the pan and it lays on the 1x3. in a L shape the Body drops right into it.

the main steel from the shocks to the pan is 3.5x3.5x.25 heavy duty

I am thinking of cutting the cage off a old buggy I have that nobody around here will buy. and use it to save some time.

we got 21" in the last storm.

I did get the motor running.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: