Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjusting door seal that has been in for years
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Adjusting door seal that has been in for years Reply with quote

I've had trouble closing the driver's door since I got my truck. Tonight, I had a look at the seal after reading Hazetguy's comments in LAGrunthaner's 'bloody vent window thread' (text copied below).

Whoever installed the driver's door seal on my truck didn't follow Hazetguy's method below, so the leading edge of the seal (along the foremost edge of the frame) points in to the cab, rather than out. It flps from 'out' to 'in' just where the frame curves and is creased at that point. From pictures I've found, I'm pretty sure the truck was painted more than ten years ago and the seal has probably been this way for since then.

I managed to bend it over and tape it in place temporarily and the door closed much easier and didn't try to spring back open by itself for the first time.

Can anyone recommend a method to make the seal flip the right way and stay there for good? Would it respond to a heat gun, or is the crease there for good now?

hazetguy wrote:
when you get to this point and everything is installed and the frame is bolted to the door, take note of this:
the upper seal will want to curve and tuck in against the body. you'll want to run something like the plastic tool you used to install seals, or perhaps a wooden dowel or popsicle stick along / behind the upper seal, to make it "flip" outward. it will really want to tuck in along the front part of the window frame.

hazetguy wrote:
how the seal should conform to the body, after it has been "untucked" from curling inward.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting door seal that has been in for years Reply with quote

Maybe get a new one and let it get a correct set to it. I've had to put lo-tack tape on the door jamb so the tape would slide open and not hang up until the rubber got a good set to it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: