Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arne@kleinersyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I'm just a couple of feet away to give up on my Syncro Confused I'm chasing some vibrations and I have tried pretty much every option and I still can't locate/eliminate them. Need some new brain input what else it could be!

Background story:
I had a clicking noise coming from a uni-joint in the tail-shaft. I changed the tail-shaft with another second hand one whit one bad joint, however the purpose was to get rid of the clicking noise - and it did work. In the long term, the second hand tail-shaft gave me some rumble at low speeds which was odd (like a joint seized up) and then all my problems started...

Just as a side note, in the same time i did lift the van by approx. 30mm

The vibrations are there at a speed form roughly 60km/h +.
- without the tail shaft, you can feel them but I'm able to drive event at higher speeds
- with the tail shaft (tried numerous ones, used and new), 60-80km/h slight vibrations, 90km/h not drive able (roaring nice and vibrations)
- disconnecting the front drive shafts and tail shaft, vibrations are there, but not as noticeable

What I did so far with no success to fix the problem
- tried numerous tail-shafts (new and used ones)
- changed wheels (different rims and tires)
- took out all drive shafts, checked CV joints (and replaced with good second hand one if marks were shown), re-greased and put back in in different order
- Changed all gearbox rubber mounts (front and back, now Powerflex)
- swapped the front diff (Note: vibrations without tail-shaft were less, but with tail-shaft same a mentioned above)
- swapped rear gearbox with a reconditioned one
- did gearbox alignment numerous times

And it still vibrates and drives me nuts Sad

Anybody an idea what else it could be? I'm thick of throwing in more and more money and time to solve the problem... I want to use it, frustration is up high!

Wheel bearing might be something, but I have got my doubts as the roaring sound/vibrations do not change when swing left/right.

Cheers Arne

As a side note, I'm in Australia and mechanics are (sorry to say) hopeless with Syncros... so I'm doing it all myself
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

Frustrating! I fought with similar problems but eventually sorted it out with new transmission mounts and a careful driveshaft alignment.

(Is your "tail shaft" what we yanks call a drive shaft?)

How's your drive shaft alignment? Take a look at your engine mounts as well?
Arne@kleinersyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

stormforge wrote:
Frustrating! I fought with similar problems but eventually sorted it out with new transmission mounts and a careful driveshaft alignment.

(Is your "tail shaft" what we yanks call a drive shaft?)

How's your drive shaft alignment? Take a look at your engine mounts as well?

Very frustrating, I can tell you.
You are correct with the tail-shaft/drive-shaft - that's how we call it here. And your Axle Shafts are Drive Shafts over here.

I have done multiple tail shaft alignments without success, bit as the vibrations are there even without the tail-shaft in, I pretty sure they must come from somewhere else. With the tail-shaft in, the vibrations are adding up and getting worse (as I can't drive like this).

I haven't done the engine mounts yet, but it's on the list for the next session trying to eliminate the vibrations.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

A Syncro should be smooth & quiet as you have heard. You’ll ruin the nose cone driving with vibration so don’t do it. Them are big bucks.

Sorry you’re having trouble. There are so many details to check, and its all on you, we can only throw ideas across the pond.

I’m curious how you disconnected the front drive shafts to drive. Did you put axle stubs in or large bolts to hold the bearing races together?

Are these tailshafts that you tested all OEM?

It sounds like the tailshaft is not the main problem maybe theres a couple problems. Syncro shaft bends like the letter “U” not “parallel” like a lazy “Z”. Consequently the Syncro tail shaft u-joints are not “timed” like a normal 4wd truck, they are 90deg off that.

Theres some other feller from Oz on theSamba rebuilding his transaxle, are you in contact with him? Doesn’t sound lik theres a lot of Syncro knowledge to draw from down there.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

The alignment is called Broken Back and the phasing is the same as a normal driveshaft
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

mackaymanx wrote:
The alignment is called Broken Back and the phasing is the same as a normal driveshaft

Ok I looked around a little and yes the phasing is same.
Dang I wonder where I got the 90deg off thing

Thanks for the buzzword and the clarification.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heres “Normal” driveline config. (Pair of u-joints)

Heres a “broken back” configuration. Notice how it halves the u-joint angle. And the shafts angular velocity variation is much less too. .

On the Syncro its the “other way” like a “U”. Anyway, when the angles are “the same” on each u-joint, the output pulsation is canceled (=smooth)

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

I'm confused on how that angle would ever vary. I'm only used to conventional shaft set-ups and have had them professionally balanced before. Is there a good article on how to align the syncro specific system?
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

Changing the "phasing" is done when the angles can not be made the same and is done to reduce pulsations, only done for specific applications.If you hunt around there is a Hardie Spicer PDF on it.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

MManx that sounds dicey, either the pulsation cancels or it does NOT. In any case, I’m sorry I brought it up. But anyone who builds their own drive-line should know about phasing the U-joints.

newerwesty1987 wrote:
I'm confused on how that angle would ever vary. I'm only used to conventional shaft set-ups and have had them professionally balanced before. Is there a good article on how to align the syncro specific system?

On a Syncro it shouldn't vary.
IIRC it's appx 4° "broken back" (except "U-shape).

Transaxle mounts can degrade and transaxle angle changes a little.
    There's bolt hole slop
    Front diff bushings degrade and diff angle changes a little.

Other mounting problem or improper assembly can fook up the alignment
    Van can get "bent" in an accident.

The transaxle and diff going out of alignment is not common.
And the problems listed above are very subtle and there is debate whether such subtle misalignment can contribute vibration.
But folks trying to solve the problem will align the driveline deadnuts, to try to rule out driveline alignment as a contributor.

There are several threads, by members chasing down vibration problems.
Sorry I don't know which are the good threads, andI bet Arne would like to know.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

Arne mentions lifting the Syncro 30mm. If thats 30mm from OEM it might be OK. If its from some other fellers pre-lift maybe not OK.

Measure axle center to bottom of fender lip, with the van loaded normally on flat ground. Also applies to the front Syncro CVs.

Legend has it the Lengyel brothers lifted their Syncros until CV boots were disappearing in a puff of smoke. Wink
They arrived at the 20” max number some years ago, maybe 15 years ago?
Knowing how these guys push the envelope I decided to use 19.5”.

Anyway, might verify the van’s not lifted too high.

Jeroen_M625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

From experience I am 90% sure the VC joints in the back (and maybe the inner in front) are the problem. When lifting the CV joints have to compensate for a greater angle, so the balls have to travel more inside the joint. Also the higher angle of the shaft makes it "shorter" so the balls also have to run on a different "track" (if you know what I mean).
And since there is always wear in used CV joints, the path they travel back and forth is not even, resulting in an oscilating amount of friction, tension, vibration.

Adding the tail shaft gives more tension on the drive train, so also on the CV joints. Thus even more vibration.

A friend of mine drives with 21+" height, when lowering the pressure in the shocks, it drops to 20", the amount of vibration between the two is huge. next step is bringing the car down to 19" and using porsche CV-joints.

The power flex mounts are rubbish, they do not absorb vibration. Original rubber mounts are ok as long as the big steel ring does not touch the outer part of the rubber. Overtightening those rubber mounts result also in more vibration.

If you want to check:
remove tail shaft and the front drive shafts (only outer part of cv joint is needed), so you have a real 2wd, ad/change 1 item at the time. Don't use cheap quality CV joints (bought them for testing, but they were worse and lasted only 200km).
[/list]
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

Is the CV vibration and sound similar in sound to when a tire is "cupping" and worn out unevenly? I have read other threads on this but haven't seen this mentioned exactly.

I am having some of the same issues as the OP. Mine is a lifted Syncro, at 21" unloaded after measuring today. It has heavy racing shocks up front.

I took the driveshaft out which reduced overall vibration (car headlights in mirror dont dance as much) but I have a roaring sound that I can almost tell is coming from right under the seats. It's like a WHAaaaaa WHAaaaa WHAaaaaa sound just like the cupping tires noise except that I don't feel the vibration in the steering wheel much at all. It is not a perfectly consistent vibration but pulsing. Its almost more noise than vibration.

Other problem is that the shocks up front have an adjustable spring but the rear is just a spring I think so not sure how to lower the rear without lots of trial and error spring work. ?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

So your sound is roadspeed related, with no relation to engine RPM?

If you borrow a set of quiet tires from someone that could help to eliminate possibilities.
If you have big brakes ya gotta find someone with 15s or 16s and street tires.
This sounds easy to everyone except the two guys who have to jack up their vans. But its "conclusive".

A bluetooth microphone that you could place in different locations and record sounds (or just listen) to localized sounds could be useful. Can this be done?

newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

My issue has nothing to do with engine or transmission. The front end starts rumbling above about 30mph. I drove it this way over 400 miles and it hasn't changed. I wish it were my tires but they aren't that old and have great tread on them. Plus I have no insulation inside, for now, so the noise really comes through. I can look down at the walkway between the seats and its obvious its coming from the front end.
joeyTWOwheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

@newerwesty1987 did you ever figure it out?

newerwesty1987 wrote:
My issue has nothing to do with engine or transmission. The front end starts rumbling above about 30mph. I drove it this way over 400 miles and it hasn't changed. I wish it were my tires but they aren't that old and have great tread on them. Plus I have no insulation inside, for now, so the noise really comes through. I can look down at the walkway between the seats and its obvious its coming from the front end.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

Have you tried loosening the front differential mounts, but not remove them. The idea is to allow the front end find it's own sweet spot after driving it around a smooth street changing gears so that the front diff settles in where it is happy. Then tighten down on the mounts to keep it secure.

Here is a good link to a lot of questions
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

The tailshafts/driveshafts you've replaced to find this problem, have they all been the original OEM with the rubber donut?
Have you tried an aftermarket one that does not have the donut?

https://www.vancafe.com/251521101D-p/251521101d.htm

https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/23382/syncro-drive-shaft-new-?v=

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Chasing up vibrations in the drive train - Syncro Reply with quote

A rumbling sounds more like a wheel bearing. Try moving the steering left and right while you are hearing the noise. Often a wheel bearing noise will change with the load shifted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: